First AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjackson

Reaction score
Well guys I have completed my first all grain batch and it is in the primary. It was a blast me and my dad had the house smelling like Pestalozzi St. in St. Louis. We brewed a Classic American Pils grain bill was 9 pounds. Everything went great. It was freaking cold the night we brewed so luckily my mom has a freaking awesome range that brought the 6 something gallons of wart up to a boil in about 10 minutes. Well long story short I have a few questions.

1. When I was boiling after I added the hops a greyish sediment started floating around in the brew pot when i would Stir, is this normal.

2. I had a brain fart and threw the wort into my bottling bucket instead of of my primary. I have never transfered to a secondary but I think I will this time to I can get my bottling bucket back in service for bottling. When I transfer to secondary how much sediment should I take?

I am a newb hard core so go easy on me guys.

Pellet hops? I would assume thats just the hops boiling around. Leaves little green/grey rings on side of the pot as h2o evaporates.

Leave as much of the trub behind as u can. There is no reason to transfer it as well.

Your autosiphon has a cap on it that acts as a spacer to prevent picking up trub. I usually just drop it in and leave it be. If it's not too chunky down there, I'll tilt the fermenter to get the last bit of beer out. Some trub will slip through, but it'll be left behind when you rack to the bottling bucket.

Of course the other option is to just buy another bottling bucket. I have 2 bottling buckets and 2 regular buckets and I've used them all as primaries at one time or another.

congrats on your first ag brew. I am looking forward to mine in a couple weeks (been Partial mashing for a while)

I wouldn't take any sediment. I leave the last couple cups of wort in the primary so that i don't get any spent yeast. When yeast runs out of sugar to ferment, it begins to die (autolysis). That process adds nasty dying yeast flavors to your beer.

PS. I always rack to secondary once fermentation slows, usually after 7-10 days in primary.

Back