Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my favorite pistols in my collection.

The Kimber is my pride and joy. The Llama got added to list of favorites recently when I made the wood grips for it.
DSC02942.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

My next purchase is going to be the Kimber Ultra Raptor II as my new CC.

I almost bought the Raptor, but my father hated the feel of the grips. Since he shoots with me 75% of the time......

Are you going matte black?

I almost bought the Raptor, but my father hated the feel of the grips. Since he shoots with me 75% of the time......

Are you going matte black?

Yes. It's going to be my primary carry gun, doesn't need to be flashy just functional. I do like the stainless, I have a Ruger SP101 that looks great, but I think the matte black looks better on the Kimber.

Anyone here have an FFL? NC is selling a bunch of surplus hand guns, Sig Sauer .40s, Barettas, and a Smith & Wesson .45.

Orlando

Canadian here with several firearms.

My pride and joy is my Sig Sauer P229r.

P1070748.JPG

P1070752.JPG

I have too many according to my wife. Started shooting IDPA a few years ago so I have been adding to my hand gun collection. I'm going to concentrate on my M&P9mm and my STI 1911 45 this year.

My tiny girlfriend (5'1 92 lbs), shot my Gramp's old Colt 1911 45. and actually hit the empty soda can I tossed for her about 20 feet away. I was proud. :D

Any reloaders here? Another of my hobbies. Here's my reloading bench. Still need to build doors for the bottom cabinets so I can lock up my powder and primers.

Reloading Bench 001.jpg

Reloading Bench 002.jpg

my other passion... i have:
an o3a3 30.06 (1911) - my pride and joy
sks
browning 22
ruger 22
20 gauge shotgun

will inherit a side-by-side 1896 12 gauge shotgun
an 1892 single barrel 12 gauge

i love shooting. rated expert marksman when in the military :D

.22 Browning Buck Mark Pistol (the wife's)
.22 Marlin 880 Rifle
.223 Stag Arms 2TL (Left handed AR-15)
.30-30 Marlin Lever Action Rifle
.357 SIG Glock G32 Pistol
.38 S&W J-Frame Pistol
12 Ga. Mossberg 500 Shotgun/ upland bird gun

the .22s are the most fun (and economical) to shoot IMO

You think that puts off a shock wave, I have a friend that has a .50 cal.

The .50 is worse to stand next to than to shoot... at least that was my experience with the Barrett.

Also, if you haven't seen the Penn and Teller: Bullsh*t episode about the second amendment, its worth a watch.

Ruger 10/22 .22lr
Ruger Mk 3 6" .22lr
Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Stainless 270 WSM
Mossberg International Silver Reserve Field 12Ga O/U

I reload for the 270 WSM and 12Ga

I consistently shoot sub 1" 3-shot groups at 100 yards with the 270, and have shoot a group under 4" at 400 yards:ban::rockin:

For the 12 Ga have a MEC 9000 press

For some reason I haven't started reloading for the .22s...

Just picked up my new toy. I originally thought I wanted a 1911, but after countless trips to the store I ended up with a new XDM-45. I carry a XD40SC and I feel Springfield makes too nice of a weapon to pass on the big version.

XDM 001.jpg

My pride and joy are my triplets 3-Desert eagles .357mag .44mag 50AE You never know what kind of mood your gonna be in

I know this is a beer forum but everyone loves gun anyone wanna share what guns they have. Also I'm thinking of buying a new gun but can't decide between Remington 700 .243 or German Mauser

There's already a good and long thread on this in the general chit-chat section. I'd suggest posting in that instead of starting a new thread.

Edit: This post is now irrelevant since the new thread has been appended to the old one.

Beer and guns is a fun combination, but I try to stick with the .22 Bringing out my .308 after a few drinks is a bit scary

before this gets moved to general chit chat - where it belongs - go with the remington

.243 versus 8MM - Is that the debate?

In most cases I would stick with the .243 unless you are busting some heavy brush (not a good a idea for safety reasons).

Also depends on avg range of shot, time carrying, etc, etc.

Ah, I may have misunderstood.

Is the debate about caliber or action?

Back in the day I think I remember that the Mauser action was better if used in an env where the rifle would be in motion during loading or extracting. The round is better controled during loading and the extraction mech is better. The round is actually gripped and not just pushed like in the Rem 700.

I think the drawback is the weight.

If the debate was .243 vs 8mm I would go .243
If its about action I would go Mauser over the Remington 700.

Does that make sense?

My collection includes:

Benjamin/Sheridan - .117 multipump rifle
Crossman - .117 multipump pistol

UNK Italian - over/under 12 gauge w/ choke tubes
S&W 3000 - 20 Gauge pump w/ tubes
Springfield - 30.06 - Family military weapon used in WWII, sporterized
Browning - BAR .270

S&W - .357 mag
UNK- .25 auto

I also have a Browning compound bow and an UNK crossbow

I am ex-military, during service I was awarded Expert in rifle and also won the "High BRM" award (Basic rifle marksmanship) for the battalion boot camp graduation (I shot the best out of 6 full companies. That is 1000+ soldiers) I never saw combat and I was a REMF with a MOS of 45B small arms weapon repair.

I will hunt + eat any game animal that is slower than 3000 feet per second. I will be buying my turkey permit for the spring hunt next week. When not hunting, I am fishing and when neither is going on, I brew/drink beer.

Shooter/Hunter. I like pistol, pistol/carbine, and service rifle matches. I'm a fan of milsurps as well. My favorite is the Dan Wesson 1911 my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I'm a huge fan of old bolt .22 rifles. I have a 1936 Marlin and a Winchester Model 75 that have been passed down through the family.

First round through my Swiss K31:
DSCN2824.jpg

Said Christmas present:
DSCN2666-1.jpg

K31 and M44:
DSCN2819.jpg

Savage 99F lever in .284
Springfield O3-A3 30-06 sporterized
Marlin lever 30-30
Marlin .22 semiauto
Rossi .22 pump
Ruger 1022 .22 semiauto
Ruger P90DC .45 semiauto
H&R 12GA bolt
Savage 12GA pump
Traditions 54cal muzzleloader
2 compound bows and an old crossbow
Blowgun:rockin:

Reloading: Yes

Latest want list:
AR15
Glock(s)
You can't have too many projectile launchers.:D

I thought I would share this. It is a very basic and affordable target that is fun to shoot and you get some DIY in as well. I do not know how well these store long term. I am not the inventor of this. Sorry no pics it is so basic it would be hard to screw up...

What you need:

A piece of cardboard (preferably square or rectangle)
A bottle of cheap aspirin (non-coated white)
A bottle of Elmer's glue (Or any cheap decent glue that drys clear)
A can of cheap flat black spray paint or black primer

Directions: Spray paint the card board black, it may take a few coats. Then glue the asprins flat on the cardboard after the paint is fully dried, I prefer a grid of about 2 inches. I eyeball mine and you sure can use a pencil and ruler/straight edge to make it look super pro if you want. Allow to fully dry overnight.

Then start at about 50 yards (or less if you suck that bad) aim at one aspirin and shoot it. When you actually hit one, there will be a little "puff" of aspirin dust. This is a great way to know where you shot if all you are concerned about is hit/miss and comes in handy if you do not have a spotter/scope and are "dialed in". You can see the white on black and the "puff" for a long ways...

Back