Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pride and joy model 700 sps .223

You have good taste in guns. My 700 SPS .223

IMGP1347.jpg

god i hate NY State, they outlaw all the fun toys here.... :( i wanted and XDM but NY limits your clips to 10 rds. :(. ar's pinned stocks, barrels no shorter than 18" muzzle breaks pinned and welded.. ext. lol i would post photos of mine, just don't have any picks right now... and im to lazy to go take any

MSweat said:
You have good taste in guns. My 700 SPS .223

Thank you very much I love that little tack driver. I was getting sub MOA groups out of the box.

Laser guided angelfish, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got this old Ithaca my Dad got for me with his tax returns the year i was born , its an ol side by side chrome barrel silver action and gold triggers 12 guage of course lots of beautiful inlay on the action. i do use it so it aint no safe queen. And this old odd 6 that he built up its one of those Zastava imports. shoots straight as can be one bad ass rifle i say.
ill post a pic of em when i take the time to.

Current firearms in our house:

Daniel Defense M4
WASR-10 (AK clone)
Ruger 10/22
S&W MP-22
Remington 870 Tactical
Remington 870 Not-quite-as-tactical

Sig P226
Glock 17
Glock 26
1911 Commander
Ruger MK III Hunter

Come and get us zombies! If you can't tell, shooting sports is my other hobby. :)

Carry a firearm for work every day and teach them on the side. (NRA LEO Instructor) I've got a pile of handguns with a 1911 being my favorite and and HK P2000 as my favorite for work. I have a couple Mossberg 500s and an AR in the bedroom for home defense.

Finally picked up the gun I've been wanting for a long time. The Seecamp .32. Its pretty much the smallest you can get with that capacity (6+1). Once the Concealed carry permit comes in I don't plan to be separated from this gun.
I put my wallet keys and phone there for comparison. They make a .380 version in the same size but its almost $500 more and its pretty much a hand cannon.

IMG_2581 (Medium).jpg

I was looking at the Seecamp's back in the 90's - wanted one but they were really pricey, so I ended up with a North American Arms "Guardian" .32. It measures about 4 1/3 inches long by 3 1/4 inches tall by 3/4 inch thick, and holds 6+1. Its a nice reliable little gun after I did some grinding on the magazine release button - during recoil my trigger finger sometimes would press the mag. release, so I beveled off the front end of the button and solved the problem. Its a real easy gun to conceal - not much fun to shoot, though, with hot loads!

I also like my .38 snubby - an S&W "Airweight" with concealed hammer - easy to hide in a pocket holster, and light-weight.

The .32 has come way down in price, I picked it up new for $399. The .380 is $799 when you can find it. They are sometimes hard to get a hold of and new from the factory if you want a custom serial number is months of waiting.

I have 4 guns total...

My everyday carry is a Berreta Tomcat .32, then I also have a Ruger Mini 14 (5.56 / .223), Enfield .303 MKII and an Old Army .44 black powder revolver.

Img_0753-s.jpg

Ruger Mini 14.jpg

Img_0759-s.jpg

My Kel-Tec P3AT mouse gun. Ugly but eats rounds. Only problem with it is about every shot I have to reset grip. 380 round with such a small profile is a PITA to hold on to. Has its close quarters, carry anywhere purpose though.

2011-06-18_21-37-05_519.jpg

Looking at a the Ruger LCP or LC9 as a first gun. Home defense and range shooting for fun. We get a 30% discount through work, so whatever I get it's gonna be Ruger. Looking to pick one up in September. Any recommendations over either? Want the wife to be able to shoot it too.

Looking at a the Ruger LCP or LC9 as a first gun. Home defense and range shooting for fun. We get a 30% discount through work, so whatever I get it's gonna be Ruger. Looking to pick one up in September. Any recommendations over either? Want the wife to be able to shoot it too.

Haven't shot either but the LCP is same size as the kel-tec. The wife is not going to like how the LCP responds. You need to shoot them 1st but I think the LC9 will be better. I bought my wife a Bersa 380 which is much bigger than the LCP and she could handle it pretty well. She actually liked my Glock 19 just as much if not more. She shot the Kel-Tec once and handed it right over to me.

If round size is equal, the larger the gun the more control, comfort shooting it.

Only problem with it is about every shot I have to reset grip. 380 round with such a small profile is a PITA to hold on to.

My Glock 26 is the same. 9mm, but still. Any small, easily concealable handgun is unfortunately going to have this issue.

I don't have pics, but I have:

Glock 26
S&W 5946
SW .44, 8 inch
S&W .38, 2in

Remington 700 .30-06
Winchester Model 70 .30-06
Winchester .30-30, 1968 Commemorative Edition
Remington 700 .300 Ultra Mag
A very old, Remington .22 bolt action, single shot rimfire.

Mossberg 500, 12ga
Remington Wingmaster, 12ga

Off the top of my head, I might have made mistakes. I think I have another rifle too but I can't remember.

I wouldn't get a firearm like that as your first gun or for home defense. If you're not going to carry it, definitely get something bigger for several reasons - first and foremost, proper sights. The LCP has a grove and a bump for sights. I had one and sold it within a few months.

Second, get a realistic caliber. I wouldn't want to be shot with anything, but if I had my choice, I'm not going smaller than 9mm. There are plenty of small firearms out there in 9mm. I have a Kahr PM9 when I need something small, 6+1 with the flush magazine and 7+1 with the extended. I also have two in 45 ACP - a Springfield XD45 compact and a 1911.

Third, the capacity of a larger gun. A service pistol is going to give you at least 12-15 rounds. I can easily carry and conceal my XD and it has 10+1 of 45 ACP in the flush fitting magazine.

My wife prefers the XD45 over all of my handguns. The small guns are snappy and she doesn't care for the grip checkering on the 1911 I have (that she bought me for Christmas a few years ago).

Go to a range and rent some firearms and try before you buy.

My Glock 26 is the same. 9mm, but still. Any small, easily concealable handgun is unfortunately going to have this issue.

Good to know, the G26 & G27 have been staring at me in the racks like a kid in an orphanage when I go to the range. I was actually thinking about the G27 since I don't have a 40 yet. Still have to shoot at least the 26 someday though.

I like min of 3 fingers on the grip like I get with my G19. I think the 26 gives me a full two when I held one and the Kel tec gives me 1.5 which just doesn't work well at all :cross:

Ok, ONE more comment. Not sure if your wife has ever shot (mine didn't) but I ended up getting a Ruger MKIII .22 later to get her comfortable shooting with basically no kick. Not cheap, but at least you get 30 pts off.

Cleaning them is epic PITA though until you break down 20+ times to get to know it. They should include a rubber mallet with it as you beat it into submission to go back together!

+1 on range rental guns. Or friend borrowed guns. The first pistols my wife fired was a .25, .380, and a .45acp one after another At 110lbs I figured she would be one and done with the .45acp. After the first round she commented on it being loud, adjusted her grip, and kept firing. Shoot as many as you can before you make a decision.

Man my carry pistol is a 40 cal no idea so many people carry the 32 cals.

dfc said:
I just have one mainly for home defense. I love going to the range, but hate cleaning the gun.

I've got a Rock Island Armory 1911.

I have the match 45 from them shoots just as good as a Kimber gold match.

Find a range that has the Ruger SR1911 and shoot a box of fifty through it. You may be thinking it is to big for her, but I am willing to bet it isn't. Though if you are set on one of the ones you listed I say the LCP for ease of use. Though if you can rent them both at a range shoot them both and make the choice.

Love the little mini guns. It reminds me of "Walter" He was a retired ex cop that carried one of these as a disposable. He kept it in his back pocket in case he had to plant it on an unarmed suspect. The best advice I got from him was to always carry cash in case someone robbed you. He gave me a $20 to keep in my wallet so I would always have money in case someone wanted to rob me. I guess he thought it was better then trying to pull out a gun. I really liked Walter Brown....He was sort of like a Abe Vigoda kind of guy...

Man my carry pistol is a 40 cal no idea so many people carry the 32 cals.

I carry it for a couple reasons... The first is I have arthritis and many of the pistols out there I can't use well. Would have went with a .38 revolver, but the double action is hard for me.

My Beretta Tomcat .32 is a DA/SA trigger that I can carry cocked and locked (Condition 1). Yea I know many think it is to small of a caliber for self defense, but it is better than none at all.

I carry a Glock 36. .45 ACP and very compact and slim design. Pretty accurate for its size as well.

beerloaf

I like min of 3 fingers on the grip like I get with my G19. I think the 26 gives me a full two when I held one and the Kel tec gives me 1.5 which just doesn't work well at all :cross:

You must have meat cleavers! With the extension, I can get all 5 on the 26, although since you mentioned halves I guess it's really 4.5. Even then, I still adjust after every shot if I'm really aiming.

I have a few shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc... My go to gun is always my glock 29sf... The 10mm round is more than enough to stop 2 and 4 legged animals around here without effort... I actually killed a deer with it instead of my rifle this year and several coyotes....

I just have one mainly for home defense. I love going to the range, but hate cleaning the gun.

I've got a Rock Island Armory 1911.

rock-island-armory-1911-1.jpg

I love 1911s...I really want to get a high end like a Wilson or Les Baer TRS.

Find a range that has the Ruger SR1911 and shoot a box of fifty through it. You may be thinking it is to big for her, but I am willing to bet it isn't. Though if you are set on one of the ones you listed I say the LCP for ease of use. Though if you can rent them both at a range shoot them both and make the choice.

If she doesn't get to the range often to practice, a laser might be something to look into as well.

Love the little mini guns. It reminds me of "Walter" He was a retired ex cop that carried one of these as a disposable. He kept it in his back pocket in case he had to plant it on an unarmed suspect. The best advice I got from him was to always carry cash in case someone robbed you. He gave me a $20 to keep in my wallet so I would always have money in case someone wanted to rob me. I guess he thought it was better then trying to pull out a gun. I really liked Walter Brown....He was sort of like a Abe Vigoda kind of guy...

Definitely not going to pull a gun over my wallet...if the dude wants more than my wallet, that's a different story.

You must have meat cleavers! With the extension, I can get all 5 on the 26, although since you mentioned halves I guess it's really 4.5. Even then, I still adjust after every shot if I'm really aiming.

No, when I say 3 fingers around grip I mean all 5 on the gun. I wasn't counting thumb and trigger finger as they're the defacto gotta have digits on gun. So I only get the bird and 1/2 the ring finger on the kel tec...

I'll have to give the G26/G27 a go with and without extension. I want a subcompact larger caliber gun. G19 is too big for anything but winter carry for my frame. I have a friend of a friend who works at federal and he gets a case (1k rounds) of .40 for $90 which nets to around $4.50 for a box of 50. But I bet a subcompact is going to be a bit too snappy in .40 for my liking.

No, when I say 3 fingers around grip I mean all 5 on the gun. I wasn't counting thumb and trigger finger as they're the defacto gotta have digits on gun. So I only get the bird and 1/2 the ring finger on the kel tec...

I'll have to give the G26/G27 a go with and without extension. I want a subcompact larger caliber gun. G19 is too big for anything but winter carry for my frame. I have a friend of a friend who works at federal and he gets a case (1k rounds) of .40 for $90 which nets to around $4.50 for a box of 50. But I bet a subcompact is going to be a bit too snappy in .40 for my liking.

Go with .45 ACP or 9mm Subcompact then. There are several out there and I believe Sig just came out with a new 9mm in that category of 9mm's.

DesertBrew said:

The glock sub compact .40 is snappy but not punishing. It comes back to target fairly quickly.

I used to carry a Glock 23 .40 cal for years and that was a decent carry size. My ex took in the divorce agreement. So it gave me a reason to get a Glock 36 which is actually smaller. Thinner/slimmer that is compared to a 23 and it is a .45. Only thing that suffered is the capacity.

beerloaf.

hmm Never had a weapon but thinking of getting one for self defense any suggestions?

Concealed carry self defense or home self defense?

IMO a great starter gun to keep in the dresser drawer is just a basic revolver. I've got a snub nose .38 special loaded with self defense rounds but its also easy enough to shoot that I take it to the range for fun sometimes. Otherwise for home defense the classic Remington 870 is a solid thing to have around as well.
For Concealed carry you just gotta go with what feels right to you and what makes you comfortable. People are going to get into huge arguments over what caliber you should or shouldn't carry or will claim that they can easily conceal their 1911 year round somehow. My criteria was small, reliable, and powerful "enough". The seecamp is the smallest .32 or .380 you will be able to find but the .380 is $799 (as opposed to $399 for the .32) and a beast to fire, and some people may tell you the .32 just isn't powerful enough (.32 used to be the standard carry of law enforcement in Europe). If you have to have .380 then my next choice would be the Ruger LCP. Personally, I'm comfortable with the .32, my FIL is a assistant Chief of Police for a city and he said many of the officers and other assistant Chiefs carry the .32, he carrys the .380.

youve got to have a written letter from god ,undersigned by the pope to have a firearm in the uk then its .22's shotguns or bolt action rifles and unless youve got a lot land or a farm its only to be used on the range:(

youve got to have a written letter from god ,undersigned by the pope to have a firearm in the uk then its .22's shotguns or bolt action rifles and unless youve got a lot land or a farm its only to be used on the range:(

That's unamerican!!!:D Sorry, had to do it.

Back