Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Who is a shooter, collecter or hunter?

What's are pride and joys in your collection?

I haven't been hunting in ages but I try to hit the range at least once a month to shoot some skeet and target practice with the rifles and pistols.

Mitt Romney is a longtime hunter:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/04/05/romney_calls_himself_a_longtime_hunter/

"I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life," he told a man sporting a National Rifle Association cap.

Oh, wait a minute...

Yet the former Massachusetts governor's hunting experience came during two trips at the bookends of his 60 years: as a 15-year-old, when he hunted rabbits with his cousins on a ranch in Idaho, and last year, when he shot quail on a fenced game preserve in Georgia.

He ought to get together with Kerry and form a hunting club.

I shot a rifle once at camp. I guess that makes me a marksmen!

Where's Coppher's pics when ya need them? :D

I enjoy shooting in Texas. I have a Springfield XD40, Ruger SP101, Kahr K40, Taurus PT92 and SWMBO keeps a loaded Lady Smith Model 36 in her nightstand when I'm out of town. :D

I have a few guns, My pride and joy is my Sig 226.
sig.jpg

30-0620.jpg

Mini14.jpg

My next gun is going to be a revolver for CHL.

I don't have any "nice" guns, just the practical ones for hunting. I mostly use a 20 gauge pump (Stevens) for grouse and other small game, and a 30-30 for deer. I have a really nice Leopold scope on it but the rifle itself is not much. I also have a .357 Ruger revolver but I haven't used it in years. I gave my son my old .410.

Not much of a collection, I'm afraid.

I've got a .22 and a 30-30.....not much of a collection Like Yooper but I'm about to buy a .38 revolver

I've just got the basics....not sure if I'll really buy anything else....I'm not a collector or anything

Maybe a shotgun some day

I love shooting my .22 though just plinking cans and stuff and my 30-30 for long range

I've been hunting a few times but I don't think I'll ever do it again.....just not my kinda thing

I'm no gun collector or anything like that. I never was a hunter or a shooter, even though my dad was always a big deer hunter, and my little brother even got into it. My main hangup was that all the idiot jackass rednecks at my school wore hunting garb all the time, and in my narrow mind, I couldn't stoop to their level and don the camo and orange.

That was until 3 years ago, when my dad gave me a backstrap from one of his kills. I cooked it rare in a port-cranberry sauce, and it changed my outlook on hunting completely. Damn, if I could get this kind of meat, I'd sure as hell hunt. I told my dad that, and he bought me a .35 Remington that year.

Funny story: before we went out hunting for the first time, my dad and I went to his neighbors to site the scope. We set up the target on a piece of plywood in front of a little thicket. I march out 30 or 40 yards and take aim. My very first shot that I take with this gun was pretty dead-on. Cool. But after the shot, we see something rustling around in the thicket behind the target. Lo and behold, it was a DAMN good shot: the round sailed through the target, and got a clean kill on a nice size rabbit! I sh*t you not. We skinned it and I cooked it up in an olive tapenade.

Anyway, my first shot in the field, I dropped a nice-size doe. The next day, I wounded a button buck, then proceeded to chase his ass all the way down the mountain, where I finally caught up to him and dropped him. Good meat from the adrenaline.

The second year, I came up empty.

This past season, I killed 3 deer the day after thanksgiving. One of them was a nice 8-pointer. Now my freezer is fully stocked. I can't get enough venison.

I haven't been hunting in over 10 years, but I do own several firearms. My old hunting gun is a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 ga. I own one rifle, a Yugoslav M59/66A SKS:

SKS.jpg

bayonet.jpg

As far as pistols go, I have a CZ-85 Combat 9mm, a Kahr P9 Covert 9mm, and a replica 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver. My everyday carry pistol is a Kimber 1911. Been totin' that sucker for over 5 years now.

kimber.jpg

Evan! said:
You got a concealed carry permit? Ever had to pull it on anyone?

Got one from three different states, covers a total of about 20 specific states I think, but I'd have to check a reciprocity listing since things change all the time. Just had to renew my VA one not too long ago.

In answer to the second question - no, and I hope I'm never in a situation that would warrant it.

I've got a Cooey .22, a Lee-Enfield 7mm Rem-Mag, and an Ithaca 12ga pumper for feathered things. I'm planning on getting a .17 for gophers this summer, probably a Savage.

I dont hunt much anymore because I just cant justify getting up that early in the morning to go sit out in the cold, but I still love to shoot my 12guage. I use it on everything from deer to rabbits. I am also looking to purchase a nice hand gun soon but not 100% sure what I'm looking for. Mainly I want "knock down" power and something not so huge it becomes hard to wield.

Ryanh1801 said:
I have a few guns, My pride and joy is my Sig 226.
sig.jpg

30-0620.jpg

Mini14.jpg

My next gun is going to be a revolver for CHL.

Is that a 710 - 30-06 and an 870 remmington? I have the same two plus a 597 22lr target barrel with a Leopold scope on it and a CVA Optima Pro muzzel loader. My 870 is a 12g magnum express and I have both barrels. I'm moving out of the city then get myself a nice revolver. It's next to impossible to get a hand gun in New York City.

I'm in the market for an M1 Grand and a Tommy gun.

Pumbaa said:
I dont hunt much anymore because I just cant justify getting up that early in the morning to go sit out in the cold, but I still love to shoot my 12guage. I use it on everything from deer to rabbits. I am also looking to purchase a nice hand gun soon but not 100% sure what I'm looking for. Mainly I want "knock down" power and something not so huge it becomes hard to wield.

Well, actually, the day after thanksgiving, I killed two of the three deer in the late afternoon. I went to a nice stand my friend has. The button buck I killed with my .35, but he let me use his rifle for the other one. I can't remember what it was...12mm I think. You want to talk about a f***ing land-cannon? Deezamn. I put a round through the top of the head of that 8-pointer from 200 yards. That's a nice gun right there. My .35 could never do that.

well for home protection I have a Ruger POS err i mean p-89

for fun I have this bad boy. 16 balls per second hurts

F4.JPG

I've got a Ruger Police Special with a six-inch barrel, .357. I took the kids to shooting classes. When they were using .22 pistols, the instructor let me use my Ruger. I had it loaded with some .38 reloads.....man, the smoke was insane!

I also inherited a 16-gauge single shot shotgun from Montgomery Wards that my uncle bought about 1920 or so for $11.

I have been a hunter since I was 14 so like 10 years and i have a Marlin 22, marlin 336 30-30, single shot 20 gauge, and my fav.....this summer I bought a Ruger m77 30-06 from a pawn shop...$350 ...when I bought this gun it has never been shot... and it was manifatured in 1970!! SCORE I have fired it at 5 deer and kill 4...not bad for a first seasion with a new gun...... I am big in to Bow hunting!! Hoyt Ultramag..... bow hunting ...the way hunting is meant to be!!!

I sent off for my permit 2 days ago. I have several.....My dad willed me his pre-Korean war 300 savage Lever action. I shoot it 1 time a year to keep it sighted in. I shoot a Rem 7 ultra mag. But my favorite to shoot is the Navy Spec Ops issue H K MP5! 800 rds/min in full auto. I have a few upgrades to it, I snuck it back here when I got out of the NAVY! HOO YAA! Here is a link to it...... http://www.navysealmuseum.com/heritage/armory/HK-MP5.php

Chimone said:
well for home protection I have a Ruger POS err i mean p-89

for fun I have this bad boy. 16 balls per second hurts

F4.JPG

NICE marker. Back in the day I used to use a nitrogen powered Minimag and a Autococker for tourneys (that was when nitrogen was just comming out)and would use a VM68 (with a barrel chopped to 4"), Parhania pump action, and PGP pistol for screwing around with the weekend warriors.

Nothing is better then laying back and plugging rounds into someone at a rate of 16-20/second except sneaking up and putting 1 into the back of their head from 10 feet away.

My Father was a small arms instructor in the Air Force have been shooting/hunting all my life, I use to love to go to work with him when I was a kid. Currently have 1917 Enfield 30-06 with Fireball barrel, Ruger Redhawk 41 mag, Remmington 11-87, 1100 and many others..

I've got a 12ga Remington 870 Express(seems like a pretty popular gun around these parts) I have the Combo model with the interchangeable rifled barrel for slugs and the smooth bore. I also just picked up a Marlin 925M .22mag, it's a lot of fun for target shooting, need to get a scope though.

Another 870 express owner here, also own a few paintball guns and one stays loaded for squirrels and stray cats.

I have a Model 70 Winchester that is my main deer rifle(won it in a raffle). All my other guns I inherited from my dad when he died. My pheasant & other small game shotgun is a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I also have a WWII Japanese Arisaka 7.7 mm rifle. It's really not worth much because the "mum" is ground off, but it's still a nice conversation piece and it still fires and I can shoot the eyes out of a rattler at 100 yds with it.:) Shells are getting to be hard to come by, though.........

I've had a lot of fun with my S&W 460 w/ 8 1/2" barrel. It chambers 454 and 45LC too! Its for bear protection (and fun).

I would love to build a AR-15...too many projects!

EdWort said:
Hmmmm. Guns & Beer.....Hmmmmm

Any AR-15 owners out there. (besides Copperhed :D)

I've really been wanting an AR-10 from DPMS, but I have other priorities before I buy one (like a new motorcycle :rockin:)

I own a .40 Smith & Wesson SW40VE, which is a nice gun (poor man's Glock) but the trigger pull is WAY too heavy. Also a 12 gauge Remington 870, a .30-06 Savage, a .50 Hawkins muzzleloader, and what I consider the best gun ever made - a Ruger 10/22.

I've regretted every gun I've ever sold, but I really want to get rid of the Savage and buy the AR-10.

EdWort said:
Hmmmm. Guns & Beer.....Hmmmmm

Any AR-15 owners out there. (besides Copperhed :D)

Got two of them, plus a nice little collection of other stuff. . .

and in my past time, I work as a SWAT physician for our Sheriff's Dept.

MP-5's rock. My duty weapon is a Glock 23 with a tactical light.

3548-MP5.jpg

Was that photo taken in IL?

Remington 1100 for upland and turkey's and trap and skeet
2 Stevens 22-410 over & under's for rabbits and squirrels
marlin .22 with a 4x scope for waskly wabbits
remington 700 bdl chambered in .270 win for bambi
traditions black powder rifle .50 cal for misfiring at bambi
ruger 10/22 for sh!ts and giggles
ruger mk2 for fun
smith & wesson 357 magnum just to be cool

loop

Nice lil toy Bierman, fully auto I presume? Have you ever seen just how fast a mag will go through it before the barrel turns red hot? Awesome.
Since I got out of the Navy, I am not sure what they switched to for personal rifles, but the MP-5's have been replaced. I know we use the newer MK-48 for in tandem to "clear the lane", we usually send out at least 2 in a crew. We began using it in 2002 I think to replace the bulky old M60E4/Mk 43 Mod 0. I think the 48 does about 700 rpm 7.62 x 51 NATO. Makes a hell of a racket too.

knipknup said:
One for each hand :rockin:

LOL...ya, actually I have 3 of them.(steven's guns, not hands!) My father-in-law collected them, they are one of the first guns to have "synthetic" stocks, so I have 2 synthetic and 1 wood.

loop

I have not shot for fun since I joined the Navy 15yrs ago. I have a 22 rifle that is still at home in Alaska with my folks. That used to be a blast, just plinking away at cans.

I've shot once every two years or so since I've been in, but the range environment is so structured that it isn't enjoyable. I can understand why, because some of the guys I've seen shoot literally could not hit the broadside of a barn.

I did a lot of target shooting up until I went into the Navy. I was fairly good, but it's been 30 years. I still have my Mark 1 Match Ruger. I have plenty of space for shooting & just about everyone around here hunts.

I have an acquaintance who I believe qualifies as a Gun Nut. One of his pride & joys looks like an AK-47, but shoots .22 long rifles. He had an old Thompson Machine gun for a while.

Brewiz said:
My Father was a small arms instructor in the Air Force...
Guys like him have saved my life countless times. Never go to an Air Force handgun basic qualification course. We shoot a Beretta 9mm auto...not a bad gun...far from a good one, but that's the least of the problems. First, we're in the Air Force, and few of us are combatants. Hence we don't have a requirement to shoot very often. Second, there is almost always someone in the class who raises their hand to, "Has anyone NEVER fired a gun before?" That person also tends to be deathly afraid of anything that isn't a desk, keyboard, or marshmallow. I usually get to stand next to that person on the shooting range. That person usually gets kicked out of the class for absent-mindedly pointing his/her LOADED gun at me while talking up a storm about how scary guns are. I HATE that person.

<rant>
Another of my pet peeves (probably somewhat military-centric) - the guy who refers to every gun as "a weapon." My guns aren't weapons (except in the case where you break my door down in the middle of the night and try to steal something or hurt my family...then my handgun will become a weapon...and I'm a good shot). Not even the one I shoot at the AF qual course is a weapon. It will live out its useful, pathetic life as a target gun. If I were holding a weapon, I would shoot people with it. I fly a weapon. I shoot a gun. Just call it a gun, you tool.
</rant>

My personal collection includes a Browning A-Bolt chambered for .270 Winchester rounds, a WWII German issue 8mm Mauser, a Beretta Cougar that fires .40 S&Ws, and my pride and joy, a 12 ga Browning BT-99+ single shot competition trap gun. On my wish list: a good over/under 12 ga clays gun.

I also used to shoot a 30mm GAU-8 almost every day...now THAT was fun!

Back