Finland Malt(sters)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
I was just punching some numbers into Brewers Friend recipe builder and noticed they have now added malt from Finland. They have all the usuals (pale, pilsner, Munich, Vienna, a variety of c malts etc.) and I am just wondering a few things.

Has anyone used these before?

What, if any, difference is there between Finnish malts and say, German or Belgian?

Yeah, I've used the pils and the munich. They're ok, pretty cheap. I haven't done a proper side by side comparison, but these malts feel pretty german. There isn't really a Finnish (nor swedish or danish) malting culture per se, the few maltsters that exist up here are mostly german in style, except for the crystal/caramel malts, which are often quite brittish. I think the differences between maltsters are bigger than any national differences.

Bump. I'm interested in learning if anyone has experience with finish malts.

i use exclusively viking malt since i live here in finland. i think the malts are good and with base malt i dont think you cant go wrong. some of the microbrewers out here have taste preferences to weyermann for specialy malts and the local homebrew shop guy said that there tend to be a bit more husk and stalk mixed in with the malt and that weyermann is cleaner in that respect: but again its subjective opinion.

this is a good challenge actually since i use only viking malt i think i need to brew a side by side comparison of a beer made from different basemalts.

Back