Small substitutes for Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Fatma Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am 2.5 lbs short on 9.9 lbs of Weyermann Pilsner Malt for a recipe. (Dortmunder Export) Recipe
I have spare:
Bonlander Munich Malt
Aromatic Munich Malt
Vienna Malt
Maris Otter
Would any of these work as a 2.5 lb substitute without any big changes?
should I go to LHBS and just buy more Pilsner ?
I’ve looked all over the internet but couldn’t find a definitive answer. (I tried)
Thanks and Cheers

Since you are short in base malt I would probably go Marris Otter for the bulk of it but mix in some Vienna as well

The Marris Otter would be the closest, since it is pretty much a two row ale with a bit more flavor. Any one of the others you listed could be added to the pilsner to make a fine beer, speaking from personal experience.

It is not the recipe that matters as much as the enjoyment of the beer.

The vienna is probably around 3L, right? It'll give you a little more color and character but not even enough to take you out of spec for the style. And that's only if you care about hitting the specs. Weyermann even lists Dortmunder Export under styles for their vienna malt. I know usage rates are up to 100%, too, so it's a base malt on its own :)

It all depends on what you want out of the beer. There is no definitive answer out there because there is no definitive answer. If you want it to be very, very light and clean then maybe go get more pils. If you're not worried about that and just want a tasty beer then sub the vienna and enjoy the beer. I agree with @lumpher above. Vienna in a lager is a nice addition!

Not even trying to disagree with the votes for MO here either. It's a base malt as well, of course, but I would personally lean toward the breadiness of vienna versus that nuttiness of MO.

The vienna is probably around 3L, right? It'll give you a little more color and character but not even enough to take you out of spec for the style. And that's only if you care about hitting the specs. Weyermann even lists Dortmunder Export under styles for their vienna malt. I know usage rates are up to 100%, too, so it's a base malt on its own :)

It all depends on what you want out of the beer. There is no definitive answer out there because there is no definitive answer. If you want it to be very, very light and clean then maybe go get more pils. If you're not worried about that and just want a tasty beer then sub the vienna and enjoy the beer. I agree with @lumpher above. Vienna in a lager is a nice addition!

Not even trying to disagree with the votes for MO here either. It's a base malt as well, of course, but I would personally lean toward the breadiness of vienna versus that nuttiness of MO.
Thanks For the input.
I was following a previous recipe I Will probably opt for more Vienna than Pilsner for this Batch. Maybe even 75/25. I research that. May save the MO for an English Bitter.
I’m sure it will be consumed.
‘Cheers

I would do a split of Vienna and Maris Otter. A little complexity from each without going overboard with either one. Also, I don't find MO to be THAT nutty. Only a pound or two of it isn't going to take this recipe over the edge, it just isn't that extreme.
Thanx…
I might try that in another upcoming Brew soon.
All this Grain is starting to pile up. Its starting to look like a HBS here. Now it’s beginning to look like I have an extra 6 lbs of Pilsner. Lol.
May be asking for some recipes soon when I post an inventory.
Cheers.

After reading all the advice, i will now go 75% Vienna and 25% Pilsner. Recipe will work out fine. Now I will go get more Vienna and have plenty Pilsner leftover for another something else. I appreciate everyone’s input and learned something here for future Brewing
Slainté = Cheers.

Thanx…
I might try that in another upcoming Brew soon.
All this Grain is starting to pile up. Its starting to look like a HBS here. Now it’s beginning to look like I have an extra 6 lbs of Pilsner. Lol.
May be asking for some recipes soon when I post an inventory.
Cheers.
Perfect amount for a Belgian wit!

I am 2.5 lbs short on 9.9 lbs of Weyermann Pilsner Malt for a recipe. (Dortmunder Export) Recipe
I have spare:
Bonlander Munich Malt
Aromatic Munich Malt
Vienna Malt

Maris Otter
Would any of these work as a 2.5 lb substitute without any big changes?
should I go to LHBS and just buy more Pilsner ?
I’ve looked all over the internet but couldn’t find a definitive answer. (I tried)
Thanks and Cheers
You don't have to be 100% Pilsner but Vienna or Maris Otter would be awesome

Slightly off target, but the OP opened the door:

Is anybody else having trouble finding Weyermann German Pilsner malt (or for that matter Rahr Pilsner or Rahr North Star Pils for domestic lagers?). It seems to be in short supply and/or unavailable from most of my regular vendors, both local and online.

Perhaps my long-awaited anticipation of the return of lagers to craft brewing prominence is actually happening, as shown by the shortage of my favorite pilsner malts. I seem to remember Brad Smith blogging about this possible trend recently. Hopefully it's a renaissance rather than just another trendy hipster random veer to the next 'new' shiny object. I've grown weary of hazies and milk shake tropical fruit bombs.

Back