Malt temp and time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangaroo

Reaction score
Is there a table somewhere that has roast temp and time for malts please?
I've done a few batches and experimented a bit with good results luckily. I would like to know how different malts are made. E.g. pale, pilsner, Munich, Vienna etc.
I would like to refine it a bit rather than guessing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you actually sprouting grain?
Yes. That's the easy bit. Drying it. Then roasting. Doing the mash tun etc.
Roasting at 80-90C for an hour. Amber like. Using Galaxy hops at start of boil and 20 min and 7min before the end. Really nice. But I want to try other styles. I love Belgium beers and wheat beers. Funny thing is I am a qualified winemaker for 26 years. Only just started making my own beer and far out, way more variables. Could get into the terroir of where the barley is grown. Loving it.

Nice! It sounds like you know more than I do. Are you prepared to do protein rest etc if using custom base malt? You likely won't get full modification unless your process is amazing, and I imagine you won't be testing for diastatic power?

There appear to be a few book references here:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/malting_barley/maltingMalts & Malting by Dennis Briggs, 1998
The Craft Maltster's Handbook by Dave Thomas, 2015
Malt by John Mallett, 2014

I bet you could email your state extension, or even random university faculty, and get more references.

For large maltsters, I think their recipes may be secret, but smaller maltsters might give you some pointers/recipes.

edit: Oh, you're in Aus. Do you have ag extensions? I think I remember hearing you did. TBH you could email that Michigan one and just not get into where you live.

Last edited:
Nice! It sounds like you know more than I do. Are you prepared to do protein rest etc if using custom base malt? You likely won't get full modification unless your process is amazing, and I imagine you won't be testing for diastatic power?

There appear to be a few book references here:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/malting_barley/maltingMalts & Malting by Dennis Briggs, 1998
The Craft Maltster's Handbook by Dave Thomas, 2015
Malt by John Mallett, 2014

I bet you could email your state extension, or even random university faculty, and get more references.

For large maltsters, I think their recipes may be secret, but smaller maltsters might give you some pointers/recipes.

edit: Oh, you're in Aus. Do you have ag extensions? I think I remember hearing you did. TBH you could email that Michigan one and just not get into where you live.
Nice info - thank you.
Wine is one thing. Beer has a lot more variables.
I've ordered from Amazon "Malting at home" by Francois Dyment, but I'll look into those books you suggest too and others.
Definitely not testing diastatic power. I have tested alcohol and pretty consistent at around 5%.
I knew it wouldn't be that simple. Time to get even more obsessive.

Chapter 15 - Types of Malt - in the book Malts and Malting by Dennis E. Briggs gives various bits of information for different types of malt. Steeping times, moisture contents, kilning temperatures, etc...

Using a food dehydrator, grain moisture meter, a kitchen oven and a couple of plastic buckets, I was able to make various kinds of malt from malted barley and maize.

Times, temperatures and moisture contents are the keys.

An Agratronix moisture meter was invaluable in determining the moisture level at various stages and when to move to the next step (steep rest, stop steeping, start kilning/drying, stop drying/raise the kiln temperature, etc...).

The barley malt and malted maize produced were excellent and made beer of the same quality.

Chapter 15 - Types of Malt - in the book Malts and Malting by Dennis E. Briggs gives various bits of information for different types of malt. Steeping times, moisture contents, kilning temperatures, etc...

Using a food dehydrator, grain moisture meter, a kitchen oven and a couple of plastic buckets, I was able to make various kinds of malt from malted barley and maize.

Times, temperatures and moisture contents are the keys.

An Agratronix moisture meter was invaluable in determining the moisture level at various stages and when to move to the next step (steep rest, stop steeping, start kilning/drying, stop drying/raise the kiln temperature, etc...).

The barley malt and malted maize produced were excellent and made beer of the same quality.
Wow. That'd be handy.

Back