finishing hydro number

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie944S

Reaction score
Hello i'm new to the forum and beer brewing.

ATM i have a mix of old and coopers dark in a 60L fermenter, its at a constant 14°, i cant rememder the yeast i used but the bloke at the store recommended the one i did for my combo..... anyway my starting hydro number was 1.060, its been bubbling away for a week and i noticed no activity today so i took a sample, hydro read 1.010 seems about right but i went and had some lunch and when i came back i could see and hear the airlock bubbling away again is this normal or is it going through a second stage of fermentaion????

I wasnt planing on bottling till next week as i wanted the yeast to seatle before bottling so its not so cloudy.

Hope someone can help me out,

Cheers

There could be a little bit of fermentation still going on, or it could just be a little offgassing due to temperature change or from the agitation you likely caused by taking your FG sample. The only way to tell is to take multiple readings one- or more days apart and see if the final gravity is stable. If you're not planning on bottling for another week anyway, wait til the day before you bottle to take your reading. If it's 1.010, then you're good to go. If it's <1.010 then take another reading on your bottling day. your conditions are as stable as you say, it's a pretty safe bet they'll agree. The airlock really isn't a fermentation meter. It's just a pressure ralease valve.

It was more due to off gassing when you stirred it up a bit getting your sample. You'll get bubbles any time you move your beer, even if fermentation is completely done. It will happen again when you go to bottle too. I've had fermentation wrap up in a few days before (especially with starters) so one week isnt out of the ordinary. The beer will clear up more if you leave it in primary a bit longer, but you dont have to as long as gravity is stable.

Thanks for replying

All this talk is making me thirsty

ForumRunner_20120812_065751.jpg

Back