finished: large SoFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
It may not look too pretty, but man does it work well. I only had it running for about 15 min. and my temp probe was already reading 64F. Dialed up the thermostat a bit and it has been holding @ 68F for the past 2 hrs.

I do have to figure out a better place to put it. At least someplace more accessable than in the corner of the closet under a shelf. Was a B**** and a half to lower the bucket and carboy in.

the pics:
IMG_0503-1.jpg

ice chamber (2 milk jugs on right, stacked with a shelf in between.)
IMG_0504.jpg

fermentation chamber
IMG_0505.jpg

the lid
IMG_0507.jpg

Dimensions are approx: 42" x 19" x 32" tall (with lid on). Fermentation chamber interior is 28" x 15" x 28" tall - large enough for 2 buckets or carboys (5 or 6.5 gal.) and tall enogh to allow for any sort of blow off setup.

I pretty much followed the directions in the PDF file from the DIY projects section. I got the styrofoam for free from work (which was nice!), and so I just splurged on the more expensive Radio Shack fan and power supply. The Thermostat is a simple Honeywell bimetal heating/cooling thermostat ($12.99 @ hardware store). Total cost about $35 and it was super easy to construct. Only thing I modified form the design is the lid, in order to get a more tight fitting seal. No weatherstripping used or needed, so far.

I plan to bottle the brown ale in the carboy tomorrow and then rack the IPA in the bucket over (yes, I know it still has that dinky blow off tube there. That's because I used all of my ferm locks for culturing some yeast and haven't made it back to the LHBS yet). I think I may clean up the inside a bit better while it's empty and take some spray paint to it just to make it look a bit more appealing.

Just thought I'd share. Will update after a few days of use (hopefully with better pics).

I'll preface again by sayin' "it aint pretty, but it works like a charm!"

Here are some more pics, for those who are interested.

IMG_0510-2.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

(Pay no mind to the dial setting. I had turned it up to keep the fan from running while I was transferring carboys.)

Wiring was easy, just follow the instructions here.
So...
-black from power supply to black on fan
-red from power supply to RH connection in thermostat
-G connection on thermostat to red on fan

If anyone see's anything wrong with this set up, please speak up. I'm no electrician, and am not keen on burning my apt. down due to improper wiring or devices used.

Edit: this thing works so well, I only need to replace ice jugs every 36-48 hrs. I'm definately going to be making another one for lagers!

you should try to get your blow off jug lower then your primary or you may start a vaccum and fill your primary full of whatever is in your blowoff jug.

That was just a temporary placement. I hadn't changed the airlock yet from the way it was in the bathtub since I was going to be racking/bottling the brews the next evening.

Nwcw2001 said:
so what's the temp that thing is keeping?

been holding @ 68 F. I have no doubt though that it could go to 50 - I'm currently only filling one of the two ice chambers with jugs.

Thank you for posting all these pictures....its people like you that help people like us get headed in the right direction.I sure appreciate it!...cheers.

Back