Finish At the Start Pluot Sour - 1% ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 65'F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65'F
Tasting Notes
It's a lightly fruited sour (both light on the fruit and on the sour ... refreshing)
I have been trying to brew extremely low ABV beers for a little while now, and this one turned out too good not to share. The gravity reading before and after fermentation was 1.026 (hence the name); however, there was some initial fermentation before adding the fruit as well as the sugars from the fruit being consumed. There is certainly some alcohol in the beer, and my guess is that the final ABV is somewhere in the 0-2% range. It's certainly not noticeable, but it is surely a refreshing and easily approachable sour...great for someone's first sour.

Yeast: 6g of S-05

Souring: 8 capsules of Swanson Lacto capsules (powder only - didn't include the capsule itself)

lbs grain
1.75 2row
0.75 vienna
0.25 crystal 20l
0.50 carapils
0.25 acid malt
3.50lbs total

Mashed grain at 160F for 1hr

• Cool to 65F

• Pour in the powder from 4 capsules

• Next day pour in the yeast
Foam head and sour smell were present
I do not hydrate dry yeast

• Three days later add in fruit and the powder from 4 more capsules (perhaps not necessary to add more lacto but given the cost and the fact that there is an upper limit to the souring threshold it doesn't hurt)
I washed the pluots then froze them for one week
I quartered the pluots and removed the pits before adding the fruit and skin

• Wait 3 weeks before taking a gravity reading
My initial reading after 3 weeks was 1.026 (matched my original gravity)
I let it run another four days and matched readings to 1.026

• Package how you wish - bottle conditions fine as-is (add 1/2tsp sugar per 12oz bottle)

Bottle conditioned, nearly non-alcoholic pluot sour.
https://untappd.com/b/el-jefe-brewing-company-finish-at-the-start-pluot-sour/3415468
Pluot Sour.jpg

That is a gorgeous beer! How many lbs/gallon pluots did you use? How did the flavor come through? I'm working up a recipe right now for a plum sour but am still unsure how much I want to put in. Cheers!

That is a gorgeous beer! How many lbs/gallon pluots did you use? How did the flavor come through? I'm working up a recipe right now for a plum sour but am still unsure how much I want to put in. Cheers!

At minimum 1:1 ratio is always a good starting point (one pound to one gallon). Flavor was great; stonefruit is always a good go-to with fruited beers...holds up to almost anything.

Latest posts

Back