Finding non-standard shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splendidus

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at refurbishing an old brass mushroom tower. So far it's been going ok, buuuut all the shanks are chrome-plated brass (as far as I can tell) with all the chrome eaten/worn away on the inside which touches the beer. I worried about letting the beer sit in contact with this, so I'd like to replace them with stainless steel shanks (or at least new shanks). The problem I've run into is that they have an outside diameter of about 1/2" rather than the 1" that is normal. I can't seem to find any replacement shanks like these out there, does anyone know where I could find some? Or does anyone have an idea how I could fix this problem in another way.

You might look into having them re-plated. I had this done with a chrome-plated brass griddle for an antique stove. I could have replaced it with stainless steel, but that would have reduced its value.

I am not really concerned with the value of the tower. It is unlikely to be worth a whole lot beyond the value I have for it personally (which means functionally). I'd ideally like to replace them, but I don't have a clue how I would go about doing that.

Can you just drill out the holes and replace the odd shanks with modern shanks and faucets? It might look a little different than the original, but it'll serve beer :mug:

Do standard faucets fit? Or are they odd too?

Pics always help :D

If they are a standard faucet fitting, you could get a machinist to turn them down to 1/2" and re-thread them to your spec. Not a clue what that would cost, but it's do-able.

Here are some pics

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

In pic 1 it looks like there is a brass insert. It's hard to tell from pic three if the insert (if that is what it is) goes all the way through. If that does go through it might be possible to push it out with the right tools. Once pushed out (if possible) the resulting hole looks to be about the right size!

The insert (which of course I didn't see until I uploaded the pics) does in fact go all the way through, but the resulting hole would not be large enough for a standard sized shank from what I understand. The resulting hole would be about 13/16" while a standard shankis 7/8" in diameter. 1/16" might be easier to work at drilling, though...?

Use a drill press. That diameter of a bit is going to be expensive but not unreasonably so. Given the thickness of the material a step bit isn't going to work for you. Go slow and use a bit of cutting oil.

Once you get that thing cleaned up it has the potential of looking great!

Best of luck, post pics of your progress.

Ok, sooooo, it seems that I know some machinists who would be able to turn down some modern stainless steal shanks and then rethread (I feel that the insert and structure of the tower make the drill press option unfavorable). My question now is what do I want them to be rethreaded to?

I see a couple of potential options:
1) I could use this part from Simgo:
02-6306 1/2" FE.FL x 1/4" M.FL SS.
which would allow me to connect it to the tubing I currently use (all my current couplers and shank tail pieces are 1/4" MFL). I believe then the end of the shank would also need to have something special done to it? If I went this route, what nut would fit the 1/2" M.FL threading for affixing the shank to the tower?
2) Somehow find a tailpiece of proper size. Maybe just use a 1/4" FE.FL with a barbed tailpiece for the tubing?

Anyone that has more knowledge and experience, please help out! Thanks in advance!

Back