Draft Tower Shank Query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easttex

Reaction score
Hello,

A former friend of mine had a commercial kegerator whose draft tower shanks had long "tails" with threaded connections at the ends instead of barbed connections. I'd like to replace the shanks in my kegerator with those but I cannot seem to find them online. So I thought I'd consult the Homebrew Talk hivemind.

Does anyone have a source for these? They look like something that makes cleaning and draft line replacement easier - and I'll likely need to replace my draft lines soon.

Thanks!

Shanks either come with integrated barbs cast right into the shank, or they require a separate "tail piece", a 7/8"-14 (or 5/8 BSP) "beer nut", and a "beer washer". Like so:

1660925230553.png

or for a rt angle version:

1660925359536.png

One can obtain all those parts from any decent brewing supply store. Even some unrespectable ones ;)

Cheers!

Shanks either come with integrated barbs cast right into the shank, or they require a separate "tail piece", a 7/8"-14 (or 5/8 BSP) "beer nut", and a "beer washer". Like so:

View attachment 778140
or for a rt angle version:

View attachment 778141

One can obtain all those parts from any decent brewing supply store. Even some unrespectable ones ;)

Cheers!
Right but my challenge has been finding a 8"-10" 90° tailpiece. I know they exist because I've seen them before but my Googlefu isn't strong enough to locate them online.

Here's something you might find useful:

Keg Beer Towers Draft Kegerator Tube-1 Piece 1/4"O.D.-S/S Assy

Given the unusual length, I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding the right thing.
I believe that's what the guy used on his kegerator and what I've been looking for.

The reason I'm considering these is that it'll make changing draft lines easier in the future. As it sits right now, I almost have to disassemble the entire draft tower to change the lines and it's not easy.

it'll make changing draft lines easier
Everyone will have their own opinion about which is easier. My first kegerator was a Continental KC24 and came with this piece:
IMG_1359.jpg

Which was made by OLMSTEAD PRODUCTS ...Although the line itself may be stainless, the tailpiece fitting on the lower end appears to be chrome-plated brass..I'm one of those who won't let that stuff touch my brews.
Personally I found it a major pain in the ass just removing the thing, but a delight to install the more common style shanks to replace it. I've used both barbed shanks for 5/16" Bevlex 200 and the duotights {duotights being my favourite] and once I figured out to use a long tin-tie or string to hold the inside bits and insert the line from the top, it was a breeze.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here:
IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Yes, that's a barbed shank and a duotight fitting on EVAbarrier, but either works, I just grabbed the parts I had on hand for the pic.

Everyone will have their own opinion about which is easier. My first kegerator was a Continental KC24 and came with this piece:
View attachment 778147
Which was made by OLMSTEAD PRODUCTS ...Although the line itself may be stainless, the tailpiece fitting on the lower end appears to be chrome-plated brass..I'm one of those who won't let that stuff touch my brews.
Personally I found it a major pain in the ass just removing the thing, but a delight to install the more common style shanks to replace it. I've used both barbed shanks for 5/16" Bevlex 200 and the duotights {duotights being my favourite] and once I figured out to use a long tin-tie or string to hold the inside bits and insert the line from the top, it was a breeze.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here:
View attachment 778151
View attachment 778152
View attachment 778153
Yes, that's a barbed shank and a duotight fitting on EVAbarrier, but either works, I just grabbed the parts I had on hand for the pic.
Are those John Guest fittings easy to work with? Easy to remove when need be?

If you use EVAbarrier tubing and clean your lines properly, you don't need to change out the tubing more than say every 3-5 years. I don't think I'd spend $47 on a shank to save from popping the tubing out of the Duotight style fitting at that frequency.

If you use EVAbarrier tubing and clean your lines properly, you don't need to change out the tubing more than say every 3-5 years. I don't think I'd spend $47 on a shank to save from popping the tubing out of the Duotight style fitting at that frequency.
It's been five years since I changed them. They're currently vinyl tube and have been sitting at room temp with beer in them for a couple weeks because we just moved and don't have everything sorted yet. Hence, if I'm going to make any upgrades or changes, now be the time to do it.

Latest posts

Back