Finally found an IPA I like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster on draft this year was simply amazing! Probably my second favorite IPA to Three Floyds Dreadnaught!

I have been wanting to try Hopslam. Is it a seasonal release, and is it an imperial version of Two-Hearted? Or do they use hops other than Centennial?

It is a winter release, it should be hitting shelves in January if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty hard to come by though, it flies off the shelves.

As for the hops - this is what their website says:

"Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell's Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell's repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style."

Anyone want to send me a few? I'll trade for a bottle of DFH 120 min IPA (2011)

I've never had the 120 minute, I'll do that trade if you want, shoot me a message if you're interested.

(Didn't mean to post this...whoops)

Maybe I've had too many homebrews, can't figure out how to delete this...

My son & I were out running errands & he took me to the new liquor store here in Sheffield. I got an 8'r of Little Kings,& a 6'r of Harpoon IPA. It's usually very grapefruity,but this one's best by date was 9/15/11. It mellowed a bit to where the orange & grapefruit hop flavors melded nicely. My wife & I drank those up pretty quick.

I feel the same way about Flying Dog's: Raging *****. I never got into much of the bitterness of IPAs until recently when I tried Raging ***** and then had to go out and get a case. With 60 IBUs it's nothing insane but you can definately taste it. Now I'm thinking of brewing a clone of it.

beerloaf

Oh man! the new liquor store has that one too! Wish I could've read your post yesterday! 1st place in town to carry it.

Homebrewin- your recipe was spot on like you said thanks

ForumRunner_20111214_185423.jpg

Cheers and thanks again

B2H was one of the first IPA's the opened my eyes to the American style. Still recall walking the dogs through my woods with a glass and thinking... this stuff almost taste like a citrus punch. ...been doing variations of this for a year now depending on the available hops.

I kinda considered 2 hearted my gateway ipa, i didnt actually like it till the 2nd or 3rd try. Try a Ranger. my favorite is a few redrye ipa's such as Cane and Ebel,HopRodRye,Founders RedryePA. Cant even say which regular ipa i like the most but i love SN Estate Ale,enjoy alot of Brewerys Harvest Ipa's.Love wet-hopped ipa's. About every Rogue beer is awesome also.And moderatlely priced!

Unfortunately, we don't get any Bell's beer here in Delaware (that I am aware of). But I kept hearing about how good THA was so I brewed a clone. I did the "dead Ringer" clone from Northern Brewer. It is just now hitting it's prime at 3 weeks in the keg and it is mighty tasty. Only problem is I have no way to compare it to the real thing :(

Anyone want to send me a few? I'll trade for a bottle of DFH 120 min IPA (2011)

I had chance to buy a bottle of 120 minute a few weeks ago. It was $10 a bottle.

I didn't care for it as much as as Hopslam, but it was still a pretty good IIPA. I guess I just don't like my IPAs as dry. For 1/3 the price, Hopslam is a pretty good bargain. DF120 is pretty hard to come by around here.

I'd gladly trade 2 Two hearted's and 2 Hopslams (when they come out) for 2 DF120s though. I know people who want to try it.

Homercidal said:
I had chance to buy a bottle of 120 minute a few weeks ago. It was $10 a bottle.

I didn't care for it as much as as Hopslam, but it was still a pretty good IIPA. I guess I just don't like my IPAs as dry. For 1/3 the price, Hopslam is a pretty good bargain. DF120 is pretty hard to come by around here.

I'd gladly trade 2 Two hearted's and 2 Hopslams (when they come out) for 2 DF120s though. I know people who want to try it.

Completely different beers. If t hey didn't dry out the 120 min that much it would be like drinking maple syrup because of the 21% ABV.

All this talk had made me realize how little Two Hearted I've had this year. It was thrown to the curb in search of bigger and better IPAs. It was my first IPA and probably my favorite. We'll get reacquainted this weekend.

I have to go to SWMBO's office party on Saturday. The conundrum: Bring THA and ask the host for a glass and risk being scoffed and label a beer snob the first time I meet them or drink out of the bottle knowing it is bottle conditioned.

I have to go to SWMBO's office party on Saturday. The conundrum: Bring THA and ask the host for a glass and risk being scoffed and label a beer snob the first time I meet them or drink out of the bottle knowing it is bottle conditioned.

Getting laughed at is kinda like going out in the rain. Once you get wet enough, you stop caring. Just embrace your obsession with it: Let your freak flag fly! :rockin:

Getting laughed at is kinda like going out in the rain. Once you get wet enough, you stop caring. Just embrace your obsession with it: Let your freak flag fly! :rockin:

So I should bring my own bells pint glass and maybe wear it in a holster on my belt?

Ill have to agree with the OP. Bells Two Hearted is in by far one of my fav IPAs. Some of my friends tend to think it is too bitter but I think it is a total IPA.

Another one that I have had recently from the west coast, which might be a true IPA by definition but was amazing was the Hop Rod Rye (Bear Republic) which in my opinion is an excellent rendition of a Rye IPA. If you haven't had the chance to try it, then by all means do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle.

Homercidal said:
So what you are saying is that one of them is not a IIPA?

I may be wrong, but I think the DF120 was "only" 15%.

Hopslam is 10%.

Exactly. The 120 min is such a unique beer that comparing it to an IIPA isn't fair to either of them. I know the 120 changes year to year but this year was definitely over 18% and I'm pretty sure it was in the 20's.

Exactly. The 120 min is such a unique beer that comparing it to an IIPA isn't fair to either of them. I know the 120 changes year to year but this year was definitely over 18% and I'm pretty sure it was in the 20's.

According to the website they are making it 15%. Looks like it was about 20% or so at one time, then 18%. They had an explanation as to why they lowered the ABV.

I know the bottle I tasted said 15% on the side. And I'm pretty sure it was from a recent batch because our bottle shop only gets a couple and they go fast.

Latest posts

Back