filtering your brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Do any of you guys filter your brew before kegging? I'm planning on filtering my with 5 and 1 micron filters to make sure I get all yeast out (had a bad skin reaction to homebrew a few years ago)

I did for awhile. pumped from keg to keg. Perhaps it was a particular strain? Or drunk too young??

OneHoppyGuy said:
I did for awhile. pumped from keg to keg. Perhaps it was a particular strain? Or drunk too young??

Well not sure...
I'm actually kind of afraid to try homebrew without it being filtered.
I could of had a bad one...
I can tell you the end result was a rash that was all over my body....

microbusbrewery said:
I don't. I figure you're just removing flavor by filtering, but if you've had a reaction you're probably wise to do so.

I've actually filtered 3 batches of beer and all have tasted fine... Don't commercial brewer's filter?
I'd think they would.....

I've actually filtered 3 batches of beer and all have tasted fine... Don't commercial brewer's filter?
I'd think they would.....

Depends on the style and probably the brewery. I talked to the brewmaster at Epic and he said he only filters a couple of his, for example his pilsner. Just about everything else is au naturel.

I don't. I figure you're just removing flavor by filtering, but if you've had a reaction you're probably wise to do so.

There maybe some flavor stripped. Listening to the Brewing Network, Tasty does filter. One of the points he made was that any stripping of flavor was a recipe issue. That is, you know your process and should adjust accordingly. If your process is filtering and you know there maybe a stripping of flavor, then you should adjust your recipe.

If your filtered beer doesn't have enough hop flavor/aroma. Add more next time. If your filtered beer doesn't have enough melaniodins, well add more munich or melanoidin malt next time.

I find it odd that you would have such significant health issues from a homebrew. Are you sure it wasn't something else like detergent on clothing? It's rare to have something taken internally to cause a rash to flare up like that - unless you were swimming in homebrew :drunk:. I would expect more localized hives (if it really were an allergy) instead of all over your body.

Even if it were the from the homebrew, I don't think yeast would be the cause but rather residual chemicals from your equipment. Consider drinking a commercial unfiltered beer before delving into your homebrew again to check if it is indeed the yeast your allergic too.

sarsnik said:
I find it odd that you would have such significant health issues from a homebrew. Are you sure it wasn't something else like detergent on clothing? It's rare to have something taken internally to cause a rash to flare up like that - unless you were swimming in homebrew :drunk:. I would expect more localized hives (if it really were an allergy) instead of all over your body.

Even if it were the from the homebrew, I don't think yeast would be the cause but rather residual chemicals from your equipment. Consider drinking a commercial unfiltered beer before delving into your homebrew again to check if it is indeed the yeast your allergic too.

I've had unfiltered beer before with no adverse effects. I do think its possible the brew I tried was contaminated.... All I know is that I went to a dermatologist and he asked me a series of questions... What do I eat... What detergent do I use... What have I changed recently in my lifestyle... All signs pointed to the homebrew.... I'm just cautious...I just wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else.. cause if I'm giving away beer that potentially causes the same symptoms I had... Then id probably reconsider brewing.

OneHoppyGuy said:
I think I have the answer... more beer! your system wasn't getting enough... :D

Indeed!
Hey got a quick question for ya onehoppyguy.... Is the purpose of transfering to secondary to sort of cut down on sediments (i call it yeast sh**) and to dry hop? I've never transfered to secondary.. always dry hopped in primary and then bottled or kegged.

There's differing philosophies on this... (like everything else home brew)
Transferring to a secondary takes the beer off the old yeast, reducing potential for off flavors. That is the best place to dry hop, add would chips etc.

More reasons I do it: Yeast harvesting, making space by using a corny keg and freeing up primary fermenting space, I serve directly from the secondary.

Here is one article that will explain more fully.

OneHoppyGuy said:
There's differing philosophies on this... (like everything else home brew)
Transferring to a secondary takes the beer off the old yeast, reducing potential for off flavors. That is the best place to dry hop, add would chips etc.

More reasons I do it: Yeast harvesting, making space by using a corny keg and freeing up primary fermenting space, I serve directly from the secondary.

Here is one article that will explain more fully.

Graci... Gorlame... Arrivederci.

I've had unfiltered beer before with no adverse effects. I do think its possible the brew I tried was contaminated.... All I know is that I went to a dermatologist and he asked me a series of questions... What do I eat... What detergent do I use... What have I changed recently in my lifestyle... All signs pointed to the homebrew.... I'm just cautious...I just wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else.. cause if I'm giving away beer that potentially causes the same symptoms I had... Then id probably reconsider brewing.

S. cerevisiae is not really somthing that readily causes human disease. In fact according to the EPA it is only an opportunistic pathogen "S. cerevisiae is not considered a pathogenic microorganism, but has been reported rarely as a cause of opportunistic infections"

In otherwords it is VERY unlikely that this was the cause of your rash, unless you, have AIDS, a recent transplant, are undergoing cancer treatment, or were just on an antibiotic. Even then the chances are low for infection. Drink up man and don't dick around with filtering thats what a kidney is for:rockin::rockin::tank::mug::mug:

I use a corney as a secondary so filtering is extremely easy. Its nice to not have to tell my guests to leave the last bit in the bottle.

filtering down to 1 micron or below will definatley strip some flavor in the process. yeast cells are 10-50 microns, so a 5micron filter is the smallest size i would use.

you have to be careful here too, because if you dont use a good procedure, you can easily infect or oxidize your beer in the process. the whole filter housing and hoses should be filled completely with sanitizer and flushed out with CO2 before each use.

that being said, i dont know how a filter would prevent your skin reaction to beer...

Back