Filtering - Worthwhile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
I was thinking of renting a small wine filter (with the coarse pads) to filter this current batch before bottling.

It seems pretty hazy/murky, but it's still young of course (1 week in primary, 6 days in secondary). I did a mini-mash Corona type beer from AHS.

I did a few Coopers kits before deciding to try the AHS kits. I did a red/amber beer which is starting to finally clear in bottles but with a few specs still floating (bottled only 3-4 weeks so far) but for this batch, I really want it to be crystal clear and as free from 'stuff' as possible.

With how murky it still is, I'm afraid of there being an abundance of sediment.

I know most people will reply 'let it age longer, then sit in a fridge for a week' but I'm more interested in knowing if filtering works well, does it still carbonate properly, and if bottling is when I should be filtering or do I filter and leave it sit in a carboy another week first (or something along those lines).

Hello...you are correct...let it age longer!!! As a general rule of thumb, I leave my beer's in the primary for three weeks...two weeks for fermentation and the third week for conditioning. Here is a great link for brewing (including fermentation tips): http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

In regards to filtering, you can get beer specific filters, however most dont do it because it filters bad and good things from your beer. So the filter solution for some is to rack to a secondary for conditioning/clarity...if you still have haze you can rack again for 24 hours in another vessel and then finally in to you bottling bucket.

I might be talking out of left field here, but I think where homebrew really outperforms the commercial brews is in the lack of filtering. Filtered beers just seem to lack a certain something so I avoid doing it. It all depends on what you're after though. If you want something very clean, very quickly...then filter away. Your beer will clear with time though. Look into using finings such as whirflock tablets and/or gelatin.

Don't worry about renting a filter though, you can buy them for around $50 or so and use it forever.

Well, never used one before, thought be good to see the results before buying. That being said I'm very rarely brewing. I like it, it's fun, but I'll probably only brew once every 4-6 months because I'm such a slow drinker. :)

That being said, I find around here, home brew (beer not wine) isn't popular. I needed a bottle capper (bench style) and called 9 stores before I found one that sold them, and they only had the 1 in stock. So, when I call around tomorrow, likely this thread will have proven useless because no one rents/sells the things and getting tired of ordering across the border (shipping and duty costs from USA->CAN). :)

@THRobinson, if you have a car, give me a PM, I can direct you to a few places in Hamilton where you can get your supplies.

You can filter with a mini-jet wine filter. I've never done it and to be honest, it sounds like a LOT of trouble to do properly.

That leaves a proper beer filter, which will probably be cost prohibitive if you rarely brew. I know it's not what you want to hear but...you have little choice but to wait. Consider gelatin as an alternative to filtering; it'll at least hasten the process. Cold crashing too, if you have a way to do it.

I gotta google the gelatin ... never heard of it before. Last bath I used Irish Moss, which I would have done this batch as well, if I didn't totally forget I had it. :S

Something that will clear up yeast is adding Irish moss to the wort during the boil about 15min before it's finished. 2 tsb of Irish moss clears it right up and it just settles out.

Iv juggled the filter verse non filter thing alot lately. It certainly is alot easier to just use gelatin or time. And its definitely interesting what different beers will do, i have an ipa that is absolutely crystal clear, and that batch was as unfiltered as they come. I didnt add anything that might help clarify and it got kegged after 2 weeks with an once of hops. Then there was my attempt at a pilsner and it was super cloudy even with gelatine, go figure.

When i do filter i have a bouno vino super jet thingy. But im liking my keg to keg filter with the 9 3/4" 1 micron absolute pleated filter from these guys http://www.goodwaterwarehouse.com/cat/5_hf.shtml

There has got to be homebrew websites based out of canada. Here is the first of a google search: http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/ order online and don't worry about importing over the border.

There are a few online... but, I'm interested in going, seeing stuff first hand and buying it vs ordering, waiting, paying shipping and hope when it comes it works. :)

Plus, I live in a no access apartment so, anything I order usually requires me to drive to a depot for pickup as well.

Online is great for some stuff... would rather there be a local store though, especially when something happens and you need it that day.

All that being said... it's not really what the thread is about. I'm more interested in benefits/downsides to filtering, and at which stage is best.

I would very strongly recommend trying the gelatin method. Heck of a lot cheaper than a wine filter and you can add it into your regular routine fairly easily. Follow Biermuncher's explanation here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/gelatin-photos-35563/index2.html

I've done it on my last 2 batches, one of which even was the succulent strawberry blonde described in the recipe forum which had all sorts of crud and gunk from the strawberries clouding up the beer and both were crystal clear in a matter of a few days. Just added it in the last few days before kegging and it worked perfectly.

I would suggest bottling it up. Sending half to me. Where I will let it condition and age. Then sample and give the results back to you on clarity and taste.

A filter will remove yeast and maybe strip some flavor. You will then have to carb with co2. If your set up is good for that go for it. You will cheat the system so to say. By 1 week maybe 2. But time in the bottle or keg with the right temps will produce clear beer.

A filter will remove yeast and maybe strip some flavor. You will then have to carb with co2. If your set up is good for that go for it. You will cheat the system so to say. By 1 week maybe 2. But time in the bottle or keg with the right temps will produce clear beer.

Ah, that's what I was looking for... saw a few things here and there about filtering, but didn't know how it affected carbonation. I'll be bottling and I like my bubbles. :D

Im working on a setup where I will be going straight from primary to keg through a 5 micron pleated filter. I just want to filter off the trub and save the step of primary to bottling bucket then from bottling bucket to keg.

It seems to me that you would be incorporating a lot of oxygen into the the beer. Maybe I'm wrong since I'm not sure how a filtering system works.

NRS

Im working on a setup where I will be going straight from primary to keg through a 5 micron pleated filter. I just want to filter off the trub and save the step of primary to bottling bucket then from bottling bucket to keg.

Brew2it...you are the first person I have heard say that they transfer from a primary, to a bottling bucket and then to a keg....why would you do this?

I have been kegging my beer for over 2 years and always rack from the primary to the keg....on some beers where I know there will be excess trub, I put a funnel on top of my keg that has a screen built in it and this screens the excess stuff...this can be done on a keg versus bottling, because you are not worried about oxidation due to the fact that you are introducing co2 to the beer immediately which will force the oxygen to the top of the keg.

Brew2it...you are the first person I have heard say that they transfer from a primary, to a bottling bucket and then to a keg....why would you do this?

I have been kegging my beer for over 2 years and always rack from the primary to the keg....on some beers where I know there will be excess trub, I put a funnel on top of my keg that has a screen built in it and this screens the excess stuff...this can be done on a keg versus bottling, because you are not worried about oxidation due to the fact that you are introducing co2 to the beer immediately which will force the oxygen to the top of the keg.

Thats why I do it, because of the trub. I don't want to use an open filter in a funnel since I don't like the idea of oxygenating the beer as it splashes through the funnel and into the bottom of the keg. Oxygen is disolved into the beer so it doesn't really matter if you are going to force carb, or prime in keg or bottle. The disolved oxygen is still already in the beer. On the other hand I happen to think it is something we all worry about but rarely if ever a significant problem. Ive never tasted the stale cardboard off flavor in any of my beers personally.

It seems to me that you would be incorporating a lot of oxygen into the the beer. Maybe I'm wrong since I'm not sure how a filtering system works.

NRS

This would to me be the most likely problem of not doing it right, but then again, oxygen takes a while to affect the beer. So if you drink it within a few months, I can't say that it will affect the flavour too much.
And you can always add a little yeast to the bottling bucket along with your priming sugar to get your bubbles. The yeast will settle out and won't affect the clairty if you pour the right way.

Latest posts

Back