figuring out fermentation timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Dempsey

Reaction score
I just recently finished some home brewing projects, due to the current lock down of most states... that being said... need some guidance or opinions on what i am about to state...

I converted a fridge into a fermentation fridge. what i mean that, is i have it connected to a ITC 308 wifi thermostat, with a small heating element within the fridge. the fridge can hold, 2 - 5 gallon buckets (which is my setup). i have 2 tilts (one in each vessel) monitoring temp and sg.

my question is, how long should the process take? i am temp controlling everything now, and after 2 days, the fermentation process should be complete. do i cold crash then, in the same vessel? or do i just wait another 2 days in the same prim vessel, then transfer to a secondary vessel and cold crash from there?

i read a lot, but new to this more controlled home brewing processes.

let me know if you have any questions, happy brewing!!

Gimp

Might want to plan on more than 2 days of fermentation :)

My quickest recipe still spends 8 days at fermentation temperature before cold-crashing (yes, you can do it in the primary fermenter, but there is the need to prevent oxygen-uptake in the offing).

Aside from final packaging, strive to avoid unnecessary racking, as the oxygen exposure can invoke a punitive penalty. Go straight from the primary fermenter to keg or bottling bucket when possible...

Cheers!

Back