FIB War Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth asking about how much of the various Sisters we'll be seeing around here? Or when (more specifically than "October")? I'd like to think we would see as much as we did last year when it was easy enough to get 1-2 bottles... then again, it's a year later and so the beer-buying public in Chicago has grown exponentially.

I only had Halia at Belgian Fest and, carb issues aside, really enjoyed it even if the peach flavor was pretty mild -- for anyone who has tried it elsewhere, and maybe even the version that got bottled, will it be worth seeking out? I'm excited for Gillian even though I swear Gillian/Scully has tasted pretty different every time I've had it in the past so I barely know what to expect. I plan on drinking Gillian while watching The Fall or Hannibal so I can pretend Gillian Anderson is my friend.
I've had Halia a few times now and I feel it is GI's best Belgian. My brewer friend feels they're barrel aging it too long so then peaches won't shine.

yeah, that's the plan at this point. do they allow bottle sharing at all? i would bring some goodies to share with folks from the site that show up.

There have been times when myself of others have opened a bottle or two with the bartenders, but I think a full-on bottle share will get you kicked out.

Anything interesting popping up right now? Also, any bourbons showing up around town yet?
Per the woman who runs the twitter feed for the Grand Ave. Binnys, there's this:
So far today @SierraNevada Flipside & @dogfishbeer Bitches Brew has arrived!

Now, I know you said interesting, but... uh... yeah, I got nothing. Maybe Goose's Sisters this week?

While at the Grand Ave Binnys today, I found out two things:
- via a note by each cash register, they apparently have no clue when the Van Winkle bottles will show up but they will be first come, first serve when they do
- via Dave, the head beer guy, Goose's Sisters are supposed to start showing up tomorrow (Thursday). He's expecting 25 cases of Juliet and 5 cases each of the other 3 (unless I misheard). Not sure if all 4 are coming in tomorrow or what time. The guy who runs The Beer Temple was saying on BA that he anticipates prices approaching $30 per... Dave assumed they would be $20 again -- certainly hope it's the latter. I like Juliet plenty enough but at $30? I'll just clear the shelves of Sour in the Rye and Oude Tart.

I'd buy a bottle of Gillian at $30, because it's awesome but would stroll on past the others at that price. They're on tap or at festivals enough that I don't need bottles at $30. This new batch of Juliet is tasting pretty great though.

in NY the sisters tip just below $20 (memory says the last one was $17ish)...plus they sit on shelves so if it is too pricey in town for you, let me know. looks like i'll be back and forth between NY and the NW at least 3 or 4 times a year if you want an in person pass off. just let me know. coming out next week and should be back by feb the latest.

Re pricing on the Sisters, cross-posting this:
I'm not familiar with Foremost Liquors out of Villa Park , but according to BeerMenus, they are pricing the Sisters as follows:
Gillian @$27.99
Halia @$21.99
Juliet @$22.99
Lolita @$18.99

The rest of their stuff seems to be priced about as cheaply as you would find at Binny's, so... looks like only one bottle of Gillian for me!

I was always assuming Gillian would be priced like Sophie for some reason. Is the latest batch even sour?

Edit ... GI seems to consider Gillian and Halia farmhouse ales, while distinguishing Juliet and Lolita as "wild ales."

Also, to expand ... what justifies a $28 price tag? It's only partially aged in barrels, which I assume wouldn't be for any longer period of time than any of their sours. Are strawberries that much more expensive than raspberries, cherries, or blackberries? Is there something I'm missing here? I know there's been talk of lots of batch to batch variation, but the one time I had Scully years ago it was kind of boring.

Last edited:
From what I heard, Gillian was in tanks (not necessarily barrel aged) for quite a while. They also had to do a lot of blending and use a **** load of strawberries to get the right flavor. It's not surprising that it's more expensive than the others. Wish it wasn't that expensive though because this batch is great.

Just got Gillians $30 and Halia $23 at Castle Vav. **** I might take them back and go to Foremost. Never that I would say that! Also, Juliet $25 and Lolita $20 at Vav's.

Twp days ago, I bought a (relatively) cheap plane ticket to Dublin (any recommendations? I leave in two weeks!) so my credit bill is already ****ed... picked up a Juliet, Halia and Gillian and I suspect that will be it no matter how good they are.

Of course, at these prices, I suspect bottles will sit for a long time... and come December or January I'll talk myself into buying another bottle or 2.

This is such a first-world problem.

shadowane they will probably be cheaper! Seems like the home market always gets gouged. Always see bcbs prices lower in WI than Chicago.
No Philly is notoriously expensive compared to everywhere. For example, I think Cherry Rye was $30 most places. I know BCBCS was $25 at the low end. Bottles of BCBS were generally around $8.

Any predictions as to what BCBCS and BCBBW 4pks will cost this year? I wouldn't be shocked at $29.99 MSRP.
more importantly is this your father?
95kVoLd.jpg

I'm hoping for $25-26 as the standard price. However, I expect most retailers to break them up and sell singles for $10-$13 each.

I guess it depends on how readily available the Coffee is. lurchingbeast says that there will be lots of barleywine hitting the market, but who knows how much coffee GI decided to make.

I don't have an exact amount. Only posting what I'm told. Perhaps you can call me Hermes. Or Iris, because of the rainbows and such.
I'd call you whatever you like if you were able to tell me how to get a bottle of the damn Coconut Rye this year without waking up at 5am to stand in line at my nearest Whole Foods (only fools go to Binnys!). I know the Grand Ave. Binnys will take a list for the rarer releases but with today's press release, I'm sure I missed that boat.

And I don't even like coconut all that much!

I'd call you whatever you like if you were able to tell me how to get a bottle of the damn Coconut Rye this year without waking up at 5am to stand in line at my nearest Whole Foods (only fools go to Binnys!). I know the Grand Ave. Binnys will take a list for the rarer releases but with today's press release, I'm sure I missed that boat.

And I don't even like coconut all that much!
We'll be drinking Coconut Rye tomorrow night sometime if you'll be in the far far south suburbs.

Latest posts

Back