FIB War Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Also backyard rye.

There is also a non-fruited/non coconut just bcbs in rye barrels. I assumed it would be to blend with the over fruited Backyard variant, but was told it could end up as its own variant.

I'm assuming Rittenhouse, right? Heaven Hill and all.

As for the BCS Barleywine, I heard from a Goose employee (no really! I was talking to a beer guy at Whole Foods and this guy walked by and overheard us talking about BCS releases this year) that it's not 100% 3rd fill barrel-aged barleywine. There wasn't enough barrel flavor, so they dumped some barleywine into 2nd fill barrels and the bottled product will be a blend. On the other site, someone was suggesting a 60/40 split favoring the 2nd fill barleywine. I don't know how this will affect its KHU value.

The Goose employee also seemed to suggest that there will be a lot of it -- and I suspect that by adding in non-BCS barrel-aged barleywine, they're able to stretch it further than initially planned.

As for the BCS Barleywine, I heard from a Goose employee (no really! I was talking to a beer guy at Whole Foods and this guy walked by and overheard us talking about BCS releases this year) that it's not 100% 3rd fill barrel-aged barleywine. There wasn't enough barrel flavor, so they dumped some barleywine into 2nd fill barrels and the bottled product will be a blend...

I take it this is the reason the release has been delayed since March?

As for the BCS Barleywine, I heard from a Goose employee (no really! I was talking to a beer guy at Whole Foods and this guy walked by and overheard us talking about BCS releases this year) that it's not 100% 3rd fill barrel-aged barleywine. There wasn't enough barrel flavor, so they dumped some barleywine into 2nd fill barrels and the bottled product will be a blend. On the other site, someone was suggesting a 60/40 split favoring the 2nd fill barleywine. I don't know how this will affect its KHU value.

The Goose employee also seemed to suggest that there will be a lot of it -- and I suspect that by adding in non-BCS barrel-aged barleywine, they're able to stretch it further than initially planned.
brb, fapping

I take it this is the reason the release has been delayed since March?
Not a Photoshop, Btw:
pNK803V.jpg

Yes. Also backyard rye.

There is also a non-fruited/non coconut just bcbs in rye barrels. I assumed it would be to blend with the over fruited Backyard variant, but was told it could end up as its own variant.

Did your guy tell you if either are being bottled? My ISO on BA has created mass confusion.

IT WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO MAKE CALIFORNIA UPSET

Is it worth asking about how much of the various Sisters we'll be seeing around here? Or when (more specifically than "October")? I'd like to think we would see as much as we did last year when it was easy enough to get 1-2 bottles... then again, it's a year later and so the beer-buying public in Chicago has grown exponentially.

I only had Halia at Belgian Fest and, carb issues aside, really enjoyed it even if the peach flavor was pretty mild -- for anyone who has tried it elsewhere, and maybe even the version that got bottled, will it be worth seeking out? I'm excited for Gillian even though I swear Gillian/Scully has tasted pretty different every time I've had it in the past so I barely know what to expect. I plan on drinking Gillian while watching The Fall or Hannibal so I can pretend Gillian Anderson is my friend.

New stuff from Revolution today:

Our Oct. 9 releases are Adams' Best, a traditional best bitter & Georgia Gene, bourbon barrel-aged Eugene Porter with peach.

Adams’ Best
This traditional Best Bitter was brewed to experiment with new brewers malt available here in the U.S. from Irish Malting in Cork, Ireland. We used Irish Ale malt as the base for this lightly toasty, earthy, medium-bodied brew - it is instrumental in adding a bit more depth to the flavor of this lower alcohol style of beer. This year we used Patagonia 190L and a couple of handfuls of Black malt give it the copper color and lightly roasted notes- (so it has a bit more roast malt flavor and a bit more astringency than last year). Progress hops are a British variety that are a bit sweeter and less woody than some other types from the U.K.

As it is made with the Irish malt, it is called Adams’ Best for the President of Sinn Fein. He was an instrumental leader in the cease fire and signing of the Belfast Agreement to bring peace to Northern Ireland in the late 1990s.

Georgia Gene
Our Eugene porter was aged for over a year in a Woodford Reserve bourbon barrel. We blended that with a fresher barrel in our Grundy tank, where we added the peach concentrate.

The lengthy wood-aging imparts lovely barrel character - especially vanilla notes that blend harmoniously with the caramel and chocolate flavors present in the base beer. The peach adds some fruity notes to the already complex brew… A nice brew with which to finish a long day, or to sip on a chilly fall evening…

Our Oct. 9 releases are Adams' Best, a traditional best bitter & Georgia Gene, bourbon barrel-aged Eugene Porter with peach.

Adams’ Best
This traditional Best Bitter was brewed to experiment with new brewers malt available here in the U.S. from Irish Malting in Cork, Ireland. We used Irish Ale malt as the base for this lightly toasty, earthy, medium-bodied brew - it is instrumental in adding a bit more depth to the flavor of this lower alcohol style of beer. This year we used Patagonia 190L and a couple of handfuls of Black malt give it the copper color and lightly roasted notes- (so it has a bit more roast malt flavor and a bit more astringency than last year). Progress hops are a British variety that are a bit sweeter and less woody than some other types from the U.K.

As it is made with the Irish malt, it is called Adams’ Best for the President of Sinn Fein. He was an instrumental leader in the cease fire and signing of the Belfast Agreement to bring peace to Northern Ireland in the late 1990s.

Georgia Gene
Our Eugene porter was aged for over a year in a Woodford Reserve bourbon barrel. We blended that with a fresher barrel in our Grundy tank, where we added the peach concentrate.

The lengthy wood-aging imparts lovely barrel character - especially vanilla notes that blend harmoniously with the caramel and chocolate flavors present in the base beer. The peach adds some fruity notes to the already complex brew… A nice brew with which to finish a long day, or to sip on a chilly fall evening…
MEH...

Anyone going to be at Tribes for the IPA fest today? Going to be there around 3:30 with a friend from work and its usually worthwhile to meet online people in real life.

anyone want to meet up at Half Acre and/or FFF on 10/21? i'll be in town and the current plan is to head to Half Acre in the afternoon for a bit and then off to FFF to meet up with some BTers.

will be in the NW burbs until the 24th....down to meet up, bottle share, trade...whathave you.

anyone want to meet up at Half Acre and/or FFF on 10/21? i'll be in town and the current plan is to head to Half Acre in the afternoon for a bit and then off to FFF to meet up with some BTers.

will be in the NW burbs until the 24th....down to meet up, bottle share, trade...whathave you.

You already know I'm game for a meet up...

Adams’ Best

Georgia Gene

I had Adam's Best last year. That dude needs to try harder.

Half Acre is closed on Mondays, unfortunately.

Will try Georgia Gene because I am a Rev homer, but that does not sound good
I liked it. Or, I liked the 5oz. taster I got - a full snifter might be pushing it but if I have enough Red Skulls, I'll probably try.

I got peach in the aroma and I thought, if nothing else, it's not a trainwreck. The real surprise, and what makes this a success for me, is when the peach showed up again in the finish. The peach flavor seemed to mask that typical alcohol burn endemic to every other barrel-aged beer from Revolution (by the way, what causes that? The barrels? Poor aging - ie. environmental factors? Aside from the very first Very Mad Cow, and maybe BA Sodom, I always get this unpleasant, overly-boozy flavor). I normally hate stouts/porters with fruit but, again, I thought this worked -- would drink again!

You already know I'm game for a meet up...

i thought you were all post wedding too soon? if so, fantastic.

definitely looking to meet some people at FFF, the question is really if i will meet anyone at half acre (or even stop there?) on the 21st.

you looking to pop a bottle or two? i might be able to do something low key on the 22nd or 23rd, but it really is some important work stuff that i'm out there for, so need to make sure i get reasonable sleep (but right now, i'm used to 4 month old in the other room sleep).

well, that answers that question...and THANKS! for that tip. anywhere else worth stopping in at? i'll be in o'hare at around 3 something, staying in the NW burbs, planning on being at FFF in the evening.
beermenus.com is a good reference for tap lists. Revolution, Map Room, Local Option, Haymarket (maybe?), FFF is a definite though.

well, that answers that question...and THANKS! for that tip. anywhere else worth stopping in at? i'll be in o'hare at around 3 something, staying in the NW burbs, planning on being at FFF in the evening.

There's plenty of places worth stopping, but logistically if you get in at 3, I'd just head straight down to FFF.

Latest posts

Back