FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rdwj said:
Cheese is good for Sun and not Wed too. I'll send an email to everyone - Sunday - 6:45 (the only time available)!! If you can catch Dude on his cell, please do!!

6:45!? F*ck. Looks like I'm not available after all.

Oh well....

I text'ed Dude. I'll let you know what I hear.

I can do this all of the times I noted in the meeting thingy.
I need to know when exactly we're going to know when it's going to happen.

Fairly soon.

OFFLINE DRAFT?

I was talking about this with Rod via PM's, but I'm going to throw it out to the group.

We randomly assign everyone a draft position just like yahoo does and everything, but we make our selections via a post in a thread. Everyone would be encouraged to check the website whenever that have a chance to see if it's their turn, and make a selection. Check back later when you have a chance and see if you're up again. Of course, you have to keep track of who was already selected, but I think we could all monitor the thread and catch anyone that makes a mistake and let them know.

I think it would take a good number of days to get done, but I'm sure we could get through it fast enough.

If someone makes a mistake and drafts someone that was already drafted we back everything up (including any picks that might have happened after the mistake) and start over from the point where things wen't wrong.

We would need to keep all chatter out of that thread to make the list of those already drafted easier to see. Better yet, we could keep a running list in each successive post that showed the draft order and selections. Like:

4 <add your pick here> : <your name>
3 Johnson, Chad : the_bird
2 Brady, Tom: Boston :
1 Tomlinson, Ladanian : Walker-san

Just a thought. I know it wouldn't be easy... but trying to get all of us together at once while FORCED to use a particular time slot hasn't actually proven to be a piece of cake either. :)

Walker-san said:
Just a thought. I know it wouldn't be easy... but trying to get all of us together at once while FORCED to use a particular time slot hasn't actually proven to be a piece of cake either. :)

We were all on schedule for Wednesday night til you came along and muddied the waters.

olllllo said:
Just so long as no one games the thread and waits 2 days to pick.

We could set a time limit (but it would have to be long enough to not menapilze someone who was busy all day at work, or busy all evening didn't get penalized. At the vert least, if a full day goes by with a stagnant draft, that person get skipped and will have their missed turn pushed to the end of the draft. (So, a hibitually tardy peson would basically pick their first person after everyone else was done drafting. A slacker is going to have a terrible team.

Boston said:
We were all on schedule for Wednesday night til you came along and muddied the waters.

That's fair. I can use the auto-pick. I just had the impression that other people were not exactly thrilled with the week-day thing.

If I am the only one with an issue, carry on! :rockin:

It's a problem for Cheese too.

Off line draft seems like a HUGE PITA to me.

yeah, offline isn't going to work for me either. sorry walker.

I'm not thrilled with the weekday thing, and may or may not have to use auto-pick (which worked out well enough for me last year ;)). I just wish it wasn't coming up so soon - I have a crapload of research to do! But, I'll deal.

If we start out picking ourselves, but it gets to be like 1:00 AM and we'e only in round 3, can we let the 'puter take over our picks at that point?

Yes - CT. Check the site - there is a draft countdown. I sent email to everyone on their yahoo email too. If that isn't an email you check often, you better change it. I'll be using the interface for league cmmunications.

Did everyone test the draft site.
Frickin Java blew up on 2 of 3 boxes here.
Even though it works for java games and vpn, Yahoo's Draft site crashes.

I've ranked my players- hopefully I did ok! Good luck all! ( I doubt I'll be back by 6:45 tomorrow for the live draft, so I hope my ranking thing worked!)

Boy..I just get back and I see this...why the hell are drafting a month before the season starts?

I'm tempted to just delete my team...I'm not going to be able to draft tomorrow and I'm certainly not going to let an autopick do my team.

DID ANYONE ELSE WANT IN ON THIS LEAGUE?

I can't draft tonight. Wife is sick, I can't abdicate my kidling duties tonight, so I'll have to autodraft.

It *is* really early to draft, too. Looked like, based on the draft statistics yesterday, that only ten yeams had drafted in Yahoo! as of yesterday afternoon. It would be preferential to know who's going to blow out an ACL in the third preseason game before drafting ;)

the_bird said:
I can't draft tonight. Wife is sick, I can't abdicate my kidling duties tonight, so I'll have to autodraft.

It *is* really early to draft, too. Looked like, based on the draft statistics yesterday, that only ten yeams had drafted in Yahoo! as of yesterday afternoon. It would be preferential to know who's going to blow out an ACL in the third preseason game before drafting ;)

I want to know how this happened so quickly. I'm gone for a week and we've got this surprise draft all of a sudden. And a month before the season starts. NFL rosters aren't even set for a good 3 weeks yet. Makes no sense.

I don't want to be a dick, but commish, please advertise for an open spot--I'm NOT babysitting an autopicked team this year. Hopefully you guys can find another person who doesn't care...BEFORE tonights draft.

the_bird said:
It *is* really early to draft, too. Looked like, based on the draft statistics yesterday, that only ten yeams had drafted in Yahoo! as of yesterday afternoon. It would be preferential to know who's going to blow out an ACL in the third preseason game before drafting

That sounds so familiar.....where did I hear that before? :rolleyes:

todd_k said:
I'm available this Sunday, I just didn't check that box because I don't think it's a good idea to have our draft before the 1st week of pre-season games is even over. I was hoping to have as late a draft as possible so no one tears an ACL or tests positive for Budweiser or something like that. Remember when Ricky got busted a couple years ago? That was a PITA for whoever drafted him. I just don't want anyone getting a raw deal here.

Seems like today is a big problem all around - so I'll change the date.

To answer your question Dude, we picked this date because it was the only one that everyone could make according to the meeting notice wizard. And really, there is no reason to threaten to take your ball and leave. You either want to play and work this out with the rest of us or you don't.

I reset the draft date to Tue Sep 4 8:30pm CDT. It's one of the last times possible. If we can't come to some type of agreement before then, this is the date we'll use.

Does anyone have an objection to Friday, August 24th at 9:00 ct?

I will be out of town the 19th - 26th, but will be home for a day on the 24th.

9:30 puts me in a bad spot but I'll do it. We can't make EVERYONE happy and we seem to be trying to accommodate one person every time we change the draft date. I say leave it for the 4th and lets just get on with it.

rdwj said:

Does anyone have an objection to Friday, August 24th at 9:00 ct?

Sorry, but I object, Sir. I'm closing on the new house that day, and might need to take a trip out of town.

I like September 4th. Gives me time to do better analysis and see who's really going to be playing.

the_bird said:
He's asking about Friday, 8/24 at 9:00 CT... ;)

That's a little late, but do-able. How long do drafts usually last?

We have 12 rounds and 12 people. I'm guessing about 2 hours give or take a 1/2 hour.

Dude said:
I don't want to be a dick, but commish, please advertise for an open spot--I'm NOT babysitting an autopicked team this year. Hopefully you guys can find another person who doesn't care...BEFORE tonights draft.

I feel the same as you, Dude.

Whenever the draft happens, if Dude is still ouut and you haven't found someone to replace him, you can eject my team as well to keep the numbers right.

-walker

Hmmm, this stuff sounds familiar. I believe that this is why we went with an autopick last year in the first place- we couldn't find a time that was suitable for everyone. Dude, I was in the same boat as you- I came home from V-K and saw that I had less than 24 hrs to get my **** together for a draft. That kind of stuff happens when you leave civilization for a week. I wasn't too thrilled, either, but was willing to live with it.

Honestly guys, it really doesn't matter to me anymore. Any day for the draft is fine with me. if I can't make the slotted time, I'll let the 'puter pick for me. This is all for fun anyway, right?

I don't think ANYBODY wants to autodraft. That's the point of trying to figure something out that works for everyone. So far, nobody seems to hates Tuesday September 4 at 8:30pm CDT.

Dude - please give me an in or out decision ASAP. I don't think the spot will be hard to fill. If I don't hear from you soon, I'll assume out and start looking for someone else.

Listen, I really don't intend to be a dick about this, but my ONE freaking stipulation for this league was for it to be a live draft. If you guys don't want to do that, I am only one person and I don't want to mess it up for you guys if you are happy with an auto draft. I've been playing FFB long enough where autopicks just aren't fun for me.

I'm not threatening anything--I'll be just as content not being in the league.

I was just surprised that we were all of a sudden drafting 3 weeks before the season starts. That is potentially bad news all around because of NFL rosters not even being set. It seems like I'm not the only one that thinks that.

And Rod, I don't mean to get on you about it--I know you are doing your best to make everyone happy. That is the sole reason why I didn't want to be commish again this year. You can't please everyone.

rdwj said:
I don't think ANYBODY wants to autodraft. That's the point of trying to figure something out that works for everyone. So far, nobody seems to hates Tuesday September 4 at 8:30pm CDT.

Dude - please give me an in or out decision ASAP. I don't think the spot will be hard to fill. If I don't hear from you soon, I'll assume out and start looking for someone else.

It looks like you changed the draft day...I'll make that work.

So, in?

Let me be very clear to everyone - we ARE going to hold a live draft. It will be on Tuesday September 4 if nothing else can be agreed to before then. I WILL NOT force the entire league to autodraft. I'll make my best effort to satisfy everyone but when push comes to shove, some people might have to rely on ranking players.

Please feel free to suggest new dates if you like. Any decision regarding a date will be sent to everyone over the league email tool and posted here. So, if you don't have an address you check listed on yahoo, either change it or make sure to check this thread often until we get this figured out.

So, it appears that nobody is suggesting any additional dates. That means, at least in my mind, that Tuesday September 4th is a go!

Walker, are you still planning on setting up a bridge for us?

Can we make a rule? No kickers or defenses picked until at least round 5? I was in an NFL.com draft this morning and someone took the Bears D in round 3! The average pick for them is #56 or halfway into Round 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back