FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, ****. I just now noticed that Roy Williams is out for the year. I've had my head up my a$$ all year.

I'm going from first last year to worst this year.:mad:

Bernie Brewer said:
Ah, ****. I just now noticed that Roy Williams is out for the year. I've had my head up my a$$ all year.

I'm going from first last year to worst this year.:mad:

when i logged in this morning, cheese had Larry Johnson starting. I took a peek at his bench and he had:

Cedric Benson - Injured Reserve
He's not coming back this season from his leg surgery, is he?

Steve McNair - Injured Reserve
His season is done, probably his entire career. Not to mention that bye weeks are over and you've got Brady on your team. I'm not quite seeing the need for an old, injured back-up QB.

Priest Holmes - Not Available
Ummmm, Priest retired, man.

I think we've still got one roster spot per team too many. There really aren't many viable options available in free agency; the best RB is probably Ron Dayne.

Maybe next year, start two QBs and one fewer RB/WR? There's a decent number of viable QBs out there either as free agents or sitting on people's benches.

the_bird said:
I think we've still got one roster spot per team too many. There really aren't many viable options available in free agency; the best RB is probably Ron Dayne.

Maybe next year, start two QBs and one fewer RB/WR? There's a decent number of viable QBs out there either as free agents or sitting on people's benches.

Start two QB's??? how many "real" NFL teams get to do that?? I don't mind the idea of losing a WR/RB slot, but adding an extra QB is not high on my list. Just leave it empty if you want to lose the slot.

Walker-san said:
when i logged in this morning, cheese had Larry Johnson starting. I took a peek at his bench and he had:

Cedric Benson - Injured Reserve
He's not coming back this season from his leg surgery, is he?

Steve McNair - Injured Reserve
His season is done, probably his entire career. Not to mention that bye weeks are over and you've got Brady on your team. I'm not quite seeing the need for an old, injured back-up QB.

Priest Holmes - Not Available
Ummmm, Priest retired, man.

Maybe, but at least he wasn't dumb enough to have any of them in his starting lineup, like me.

It's just an idea, lots of fantasy leagues start two QBs, where we could still play as many players and have the same roster sizes, but maybe have the talent spread out a little bit more. There's more that twelve viable starting QBs (for fantasy purposes).

I really hate Tom Brady. He has become an arrogant, conceited, whiney-ass prick this year. I think Belicheat's attidude is rubbing off on him.

Bernie Brewer said:
Maybe, but at least he wasn't dumb enough to have any of them in his starting lineup, like me.
He played Larry Johnson last week and the week before, even though Larry was out injured. :D

And regardless of what you did... he had a RETIRED guy on his roster. That HAS to win some kind of award.

the_bird said:

I agree. I bitched about that before the season started. Too many bench spots and too many roster spots.

the_bird said:
It's just an idea, lots of fantasy leagues start two QBs, where we could still play as many players and have the same roster sizes, but maybe have the talent spread out a little bit more. There's more that twelve viable starting QBs (for fantasy purposes).

No way. I messed up picking Kitna in the draft, and finding one serviceable QB since then has been impossible. I couldn't imagine having to start 2. That would lead to negative points most weeks, I'd bet.

Walker-san said:
I really hate Tom Brady. He has become an arrogant, conceited, whiney-ass prick this year. I think Belicheat's attidude is rubbing off on him.

Yep.

Walker-san said:
He played Larry Johnson last week and the week before, even though Larry was out injured. :D

And regardless of what you did... he had a RETIRED guy on his roster. That HAS to win some kind of award.

Yeah, the n00b award. That is laughable. 2 IRs and a retired guy. LMAO!!!!

Dude said:
No way. I messed up picking Kitna in the draft, and finding one serviceable QB since then has been impossible. I couldn't imagine having to start 2. That would lead to negative points most weeks, I'd bet.

You never made me an offer for Favre... not that I'm not glad you didn't, but I started Cutler for a few weeks, I *would have* let Favre go (you know I'm a hater).

We need more trades.

the_bird said:
You never made me an offer for Favre... not that I'm not glad you didn't, but I started Cutler for a few weeks, I *would have* let Favre go (you know I'm a hater).

We need more trades.

Yeah, and make your team better. :rolleyes:

Walker-san said:

What should I do? Horde players? With the W/R position, this league is just too easy. I like the idea of fixed RB and WR positions because it forces you to draft smarter, not just more. I also wouldn't mind losing a few positions. As mentioned, I have a retired dude on my roster. Why? Because I don't need to change my lineup (save for C-benz).

I'm in favor of rosters next year being cut by one player. We start

QB
RB
WR
W/R
TE
D
K

We keep four bench spots; I don't know how you'd deal with having two players on bye the same week without four bench spots, plus it lets you do stuff like pick up an injured player who's coming back a few weeks early and stash them.

That cuts loose twelve roster spots, total.

the_bird said:
I'm in favor of rosters next year being cut by one player. We start

QB
RB
WR
W/R
TE
D
K

We keep four bench spots; I don't know how you'd deal with having two players on bye the same week without four bench spots, plus it lets you do stuff like pick up an injured player who's coming back a few weeks early and stash them.

That cuts loose twelve roster spots, total.

The lineup is perfect, IMHO, but not the bench spots if we ahve 14 teams again. If we go to 12 teams, then yes, I'd agree.

Your lineup and 3 bench spots would be ideal, IMHO.

I think 12 teams is the right balance; by next season, there will be three HBT leagues, anyway. I'd hate to go to 3 bench spots.

Cheesefood said:
Yeah, thanks for benching him. It'd been close if you hadn't.
hardly. with a crappy day out of palmer and houshmandzadeh and the points brady and LT are putting up, there's little chance for me. I wrote this game off LAST sunday... I was just hoping to stay within 40 points of you. :)

There's still a chance for me, Cheese. If you have a negative 100 point game out of Aaron Stecker tomorrow, I've got your balls in a vice.

screen.jpg

This is what I'm saying. When just three of my players post enough points to beat most of our league, I think it's obvious that the scoring is a bit too liberal. I'd say tighten up the scoring rules and eliminate fraction points. Instead of the W/R, make it RBs and WRs so that more good players are taken at the beginning. Finally, I'm up for a 16 person league and some money.

There need to be serious changes to the scoring rules next year, of that I don't think there's any question. Off the top of my head:

1. No more points given to defenses for kickoff return yards (which rewards teams that give up a lot of scores).

2. Defenses must receive credit for sacks, which they do not now

3. Cut back the 10-point bonus for making 100 yards rushing/receiving. Give a bonus, but in the 2-4 point range. If possible, a 10-pt bonus would be cool for an EXCEPTIONAL game, which I would define as 200 yards rushing or receiving.

4. Liberate the trade rules so that process is quicker (no more Bernie/Dude situations, which I *think* resulted from trades taking too long, start to finish).

5. 12 teams, beer prizes

1. Balance points: A interception should be -2 and +2 for the recovery.
2. No 10 pt bonuses.
3. Tighten up DEF scoring
4. Three rounds of playoffs, 8 teams.
5. Points for Sacks

If you really want the 10 pt bonus, then jack up the yards. A lot.

And someone remember to record the draft next year!

Seems like there are a LOT fewer players putting up negative points this season. I remember having my QB put up negative scores pretty frequently last year, and certainly that was a pretty common occurance for defenses. Especially with tightened rosters (which should mean that it's almost all really good players who are starting), I'm in favor of more "punitive" stats; defenses losing 10 points for giving up 35+ points, for example.

I agree with most of the suggested scoring changes. I think I like the player set-up we have now. I do like the bonus, but perhaps it needs to be adjusted a bit. We'll all just need to be more involved before the start date so we have a scoring system that works well. Since this is my first shot at commish, I just guessed on most things.

I'm not complaining about how things were set up (OK, maybe a LITTLE ;)), I personally wish that I paid more attention initially and thought through the implications of some of these changes. It all seemed to happen very quickly, and we didn't help out enough. We'll have a good record of comments for setting up next year's game.

Wishlist for next year:
1) Do not use Yahoo. I had two major probems with them; one of which was the draft day outage and then a couple of messups with the rosters due to the way they manage client side cookies. (Partially my fault). I also cheaped out on buying the live stats from them leasing to #2.
2) Buy whatever stats I need. Even though I dreaded sending any money to these clowns so they can mess that up, I may have had a better handle on exactly how the scoring works and it may have eliminated the mystical scores I was seeing.
3) Figure out how my work is blocking FF and defeat it. I may have to tunnel into my home PC, wich is slower, but what-the-hell.
4) Figure out how not to have my #1 and #2 picks not be out for most of the season.

rdwj said:
I agree with most of the suggested scoring changes. I think I like the player set-up we have now. I do like the bonus, but perhaps it needs to be adjusted a bit. We'll all just need to be more involved before the start date so we have a scoring system that works well. Since this is my first shot at commish, I just guessed on most things.

I think you did a good job, and I'm on the path to domination. Would anyone else disagree with an 8 team, 3 week playoff?

Shoot...with Pat's v Jets next weekend, I've a feeling that Brady is going to blow up even bigger than the rest of the season.

My one last suggestion would be to start the playoffs earlier, simply because teams that have either clinched or have been shut out have no reason to try during Week 17, so unless there's an open spot, it's going to be a pretty crummy week and many of our best players might not be active (or as active). I'd hate to go into Week 17 and learn that they plan on sitting Brady but play Moss.

the_bird said:
There need to be serious changes to the scoring rules next year, of that I don't think there's any question. Off the top of my head:

1. No more points given to defenses for kickoff return yards (which rewards teams that give up a lot of scores).

2. Defenses must receive credit for sacks, which they do not now

3. Cut back the 10-point bonus for making 100 yards rushing/receiving. Give a bonus, but in the 2-4 point range. If possible, a 10-pt bonus would be cool for an EXCEPTIONAL game, which I would define as 200 yards rushing or receiving.

4. Liberate the trade rules so that process is quicker (no more Bernie/Dude situations, which I *think* resulted from trades taking too long, start to finish).

5. 12 teams, beer prizes

I agree, but I think there should be points for punt return yards, since it was the defense that forced the punt in the first place.

Bernie Brewer said:
I agree, but I think there should be points for punt return yards, since it was the defense that forced the punt in the first place.

If you CAN separate out punt returns and kickoff returns, then I agree. If you can't (if the site - NOT Yahoo! - only tracks "return yards"), then drop both. There are other ways to measure good defense (points allowed should be weighed most heavily, IMHO).

Here's the playoff picture for our league:

todd and bird are definately locked in.

The other two spots are up for grabs, with Dude, Cheese, and I in the runnings.

If Dude beats Cheese next week, that will secure both Dude and I in the playoffs, regardless of the outcome of my own game. (GO DUDE!)

If Cheese wins, things get more complicated. I can secure a spot with a victory of my own, and Cheese will get the other spot based on points. However, if Cheese wins and I lose, that will make Cheese, Dude, and I all tied for third place with a 9-and-6 record, but I'm almost definately going to be in last place in the "total points scored" column (unless Dude puts up a terrible score next week.)

woohoo!

Walker-san said:
Here's the playoff picture for our league:

todd and bird are definately locked in.

The other two spots are up for grabs, with Dude, Cheese, and I in the runnings.

If Dude beats Cheese next week, that will secure both Dude and I in the playoffs, regardless of the outcome of my own game. (GO DUDE!)

If Cheese wins, things get more complicated. I can secure a spot with a victory of my own, and Cheese will get the other spot based on points. However, if Cheese wins and I lose, that will make Cheese, Dude, and I all tied for third place with a 9-and-6 record, but I'm almost definately going to be in last place in the "total points scored" column (unless Dude puts up a terrible score next week.)

woohoo!

Brady plays the Jets.
Braylon and Jamal Lewis play Buffalo.
LT plays Detroit

Brady and Moss are about to set a record for single-player touchdowns.

Yahoo is predicted a 33 point blow-out over Dude. I'd be SHOCKED if my team didn't end up in the play-offs. I think I just about have the horse-power to take down Bird.

Cheesefood said:
4. Three rounds of playoffs, 8 teams.

Are you crazy? 8 teams out of 14?

Let's just let everyone make the playoffs and have a second season!

Seriously, keep it at 4. Reward the people/teams that drafted smart. Yahoo has a consolation round, so the non-playoff teams can still kind of get a feel for how they finish rank-wise.

Dude said:

Seriously, keep it at 4. Reward the people/teams that drafted smart. Yahoo has a consolation round, so the non-playoff teams can still kind of get a feel for how they finish rank-wise.

I dunno, three rounds isn't necessarily a bad idea. How about 6 teams, with the top 2 getting a bye first round??? Kind of like having a couple wild-card teams.

Bernie Brewer said:
I dunno, three rounds isn't necessarily a bad idea. How about 6 teams, with the top 2 getting a bye first round??? Kind of like having a couple wild-card teams.

If that's possible, I would like that. The best teams should be something good for their extra work

Dude said:

Yes, eight out of 14. I'd think you'd be all in favor of it since you're not going to make the playoffs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back