FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker-san said:
I don't know if any of you are watching the Bengals/Browns game, but two comments:

(1) I see a final score of about 61 to 60 (Bengals).
(2) Chad Johnson just totally blew the chance for use to get a field goal with 4 seconds left in the 1st half.

Grrrrrrr.....

That is the game I'm watching on the 36 inch next to the big screen. Lots of scoring is right!!!!!!!

Did you guys watch Vinateri choke? Jeez, he's having a rough day. I can't believe this week- wow! Houston is playing better than I thought they would for sure! And Cleveland- wow. I think this is going to be a crazy year!

Dude said:
That is the game I'm watching on the 36 inch next to the big screen. Lots of scoring is right!!!!!!!

I have never seen such terrible secondary defense from the Benglas since the mid/late 90's. That was disgusting.

Fnal score 51-45, Cleveland.

I'm in a FOUL mood.

Walker-san said:
I have never seen such terrible secondary defense from the Benglas since the mid/late 90's. That was disgusting.

Fnal score 51-45, Cleveland.

I'm in a FOUL mood.

The Bengals suck and you're the last one to know? Look on the bright side.....no Bengals were arrested during the game.

Yikes! Yoops and I are pretty close with her D playing tonight. I never thought I see myself say this, but I hope Tom Brady throws about a half-dozen TDs tonight.....

Bernie Brewer said:
Yikes! Yoops and I are pretty close with her D playing tonight. I never thought I see myself say this, but I hope Tom Brady throws about a half-dozen TDs tonight.....

Booo! I can't believe you'll root for Brady just to stymie my defense! Just for that, when you buy me beer, I want EXPENSIVE beer.

can someone post the scores when they have chance?

There's two! Ya, I want SD 's defense to do poorly, But I also want NE's def to suck, too! I still want SD to win..........

Bukkakesaurus Rex 83.40 Match
Up
Syphilitic Whores 95.96
Watch Live with StatTracker
DesertSwarm 117.76 Match
Up
Really Rottens 97.50
Skull Splitters 138.44 Match
Up
Dave's Drunkies 119.30
Yooper's Troopers 111.94 Match
Up
Win1More4TheGipper 128.28
Jeepshot Artists 108.18 Match
Up
Angry Pirates 116.12
Casa de Dude 88.20 Match
Up
Grogan's Heroes 86.96

Cheesefood said:
So glad I didn't start Braylon and Lewis from CIN.

Yeah, man, you left 74 points sitting on your bench. Ouch!

Vince Young isn't cutting it so I picked up the kid QB from Cle who tossed 5 TDs yesterday. Curious to see what he can do against Oakland next week.

I can't believe Bernie beat me by 8 points! I blame it all on SD's defense last night. I should have started Carnell Williams- TB had a great passing game and he scored very well. Oh, well.

Boston said:
Yeah, man, you left 74 points sitting on your bench. Ouch!

Vince Young isn't cutting it so I picked up the kid QB from Cle who tossed 5 TDs yesterday. Curious to see what he can do against Oakland next week.

I was thinking about Brady Quinn yesterday. He was probably hoping that Anderson would choke and be shown the door like Frye was last week, but with Cincinnati's defensive backs and safeties standing around with their heads up their asses, Anderson looked phenominal.

Boston said:
The Bengals suck and you're the last one to know? Look on the bright side.....no Bengals were arrested during the game.

Maybe we should start cheating.... I hear that teams that cheat have been doing very well for the last few years. :cross:

Why don't you ask San Diego how much of an impact cheating has on the Patriots' performance...

Anyone catch Belichick's press conference after the game? HIGH comedy.

"Was this the hardest week you've had to prep for a game?"
"Well, San Diego's a very tough team"

posting the scores and perhapos my only changce to have my team's name up in lights (I'm sure I'll get outscored later tonight)

screen.jpg

I need about 18 points tonight from 2 players - I guess I have a pretty decent chance of that as long as McNabb has a decent game

rdwj said:
I need about 18 points tonight from 2 players - I guess I have a pretty decent chance of that as long as McNabb has a decent game

Yea, I think I'm screwed. I don't think he's gonna have a tough time against the 'skins tonight. :) :(

Yooper Chick said:
I can't believe Bernie beat me by 8 points! I blame it all on SD's defense last night. I should have started Carnell Williams- TB had a great passing game and he scored very well. Oh, well.

Wow, am I ever getting thirsty........:D

EDIT:

Actually Lorena, I got really lucky. the only reason I won was because the Denver/Oakland game went into OT. During the extra frame Javon Walker and Travis Henry each went over 100 yds, so I got an extra 20 points in the OT. Plus Jason Hanson kicked a FG in Detroit's OT. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

I need a big game from Santana Moss tonight if I expect to win.

bird, you Pats fans are getting awfully defensive about this camaragate thing. It's all "look look we blew out San Diego without cheating, see we're really good"

We knew you were good, that's why the fact you got caught cheating makes it so much worse.

Man-gina's yipping about radio frequencies or some other nonsense now; why not last week? They're just trying to pull this thing out as long as they can. Jealousy :D

the_bird said:
Man-gina's yipping about radio frequencies or some other nonsense now; why not last week? They're just trying to pull this thing out as long as they can. Jealousy :D

What is this about your boy Bruschi being spotted wearing a radio helmet?

I hope more comes about in this case. Not because I dislike the Patriots (I don't dislike them), but the way this was handled in the organization last week was a joke.

Thank GOD! Took all 4 quarters, but I eek out my first win. Man, McNabb sucks!

Our defensive scoring this year is SERIOUSLY f*cked up.

How the hell does Cincinnati - giving up 51 points and what, six touchdown passes, net Boston 23 points, while Pittsburg, giving up only THREE points, net only 17 points? Pitt even had four sacks (although no picks, and no fumbles).

Cinci, on the other hand, never sacked Cleveland's QB, and only had one pick. The return was only 11 yards. Cleveland never put the ball on the ground.

Under what bizarro universe is Cincinatti's defense worth more points last week than Pittsburg's? :confused: :confused:

the_bird said:
Our defensive scoring this year is SERIOUSLY f*cked up.

How the hell does Cincinnati - giving up 51 points and what, six touchdown passes, net Boston 23 points, while Pittsburg, giving up only THREE points, net only 17 points? Pitt even had four sacks (although no picks, and no fumbles).

Cinci, on the other hand, never sacked Cleveland's QB, and only had one pick. The return was only 11 yards. Cleveland never put the ball on the ground.

Under what bizarro universe is Cincinatti's defense worth more points last week than Pittsburg's? :confused: :confused:

Here are the Defensive rules...

Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Return Yards (10 yards per point)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (15)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (10)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (5)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (2)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

I know, I read the rules... but those rules are f*cked up if they lety Cinci's pathetic D be more valuable than Pittsburg's.

Wait, how does Cinci get 21 points out of that?

Points allowed: -4 points (51)
Sacks: 0 points
Interceptions: 2 points (one pick)
Return yards: 1 (11 yard return)

Err... wait, "return yards" probably includes the 240+ they got on kickoff and punt returns, not just return yards on interceptions and fumbles. That's BS, the more points you give up, the more kickoffs you receive, the more points you get for kickoff return yards. A bad defense makes the special teams look artifically good, and the positive impact of the high returns numbers more than offsets the giving up of four points for being such a sh!tty D.

That's just... wrong, somehow.... :(

the_bird said:
That's just... wrong, somehow.... :(

Yes it is.

Since bird seems to have deemed today Bitchday, I'd like to say that I don't really like the 10 point bonus a receiver or back gets when they reach 100 yards.

You could have 4 players with 99 yards and get beat by a team that had two players with 100 yards and 2 players with zero yards.

But... the season has started and these are the rules, so....

Oh, I know... I wouldn't have even noticed except I had seen Boston drop Cinci's defense and wanted to see how bad it had been. I remember having my D put up some negative scores last year. The "-4" for giving up 35+ points doesn't seem to be extreme enough; a couple cheap sacks (too bad Drew Bledsoe's retired) and that's completely offset.

I don't think it's a BAD idea to have a 100-yard bonus (since that's the benchmark everyone seems to watch for, all us simpletons like round numbers), but ten points - in effect, doubling that player's point total - seems excessive. Maybe two or four points.

But, those are the kinds of things that are hard to see before the season begins and we have real numbers to work with. I hadn't looked at the scoring system too closely, honestly, which is my bad, but even so - a situation like the Pitt/Cinci conundrum wouldn't necessarily be all that obvious.

What probably would have been obvious, though - no way that kickoff and punt returns should be as valuable as rushing or receiving yards.

rdwj said:
Would have been good to point these things out BEFORE we started :D

I considered pointing out the bonus points for 100 yards, but decided to just let it go aqnd see how it worked out this year. I don't really have a problem with it (yet), but I can see it being a bit of an imbalance.

I never noticed that the D got points for kickoff and punt returns until after the seasn started.

So... I think things are fine right now, but we have a few data points to make potential improvements next year.

Yeah, Rd, I'm not bitching at you... I just wish I *had* looked at those things a little closer before the season, so I'm kinda pissed at myself. I certainly appreciate ALL the hard work that you did to get this league going!

Walker-san said:
I never noticed that the D got points for kickoff and punt returns until after the seasn started.

Me, either. I assumed until trying to reconcile Cinci's point total that this was return yards on fumbles and interceptions (which SHOULD be equal to rushing and receiving yards, IMO). Even punt-return yards, could be OK; good defenses make the opposition punt more. Kick returns, though? Lots of those is a product of a bad defense more so than good special teams.

Yeah, the D rules were scaring me in this week's game, too. That almost killed me, but the 100 yd bonus points bailed me out. My .02 for future years:

The 100 yd bonus is good, but perhaps should only be, say 2 or 3 points. Perhaps even as many as 5, but not 10.

I think the return yards shoud be included also, but only interception, fumble, and punt return yardage. Kickoff return yardage should not be included. I don't even know if this scenario is possible to set up through Yahoo, but it's an idea........

I'dlike to reiterate what was said earlier: I'm not bitchin, just suggesting for next year in order to hopefully make it even better.

Next year, if I'm in charge again, I'll be more than happy to make some scoring changes.

Actually, if we're going to keep most of the gang together, I think it would be cool to run a limited keeper league where you're allowed to keep one or more of your players from the year before.

I'm learning as we go and I'm happy with the scoring so far- except for Bird's points in the Cinn scenario. Obviously, a 50 point score by the opposition should not earn many points in the FFB world.

I liked the way we drafted and I like the way it's set up. I'm glad we're giving suggestions, not bitching. Really, this is alot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back