FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave's Drunkies
86.78 Final
Really Rottens
Yooper's Troopers
136.00 Final
DesertSwarm
Jeepshot Artists
89.68 Final
Win1More4TheGipper
Casa de Dude
109.96 Final
Angry Pirates
Bukkakesaurus Rex
105.78 Final
Grogan's Heroes
Skull Splitters
89.96 Final
Syphilitic Whores

Woo Hoo! Thank you Frank Gore and Ravens run defense!

the_bird said:
I sure wish I rooted for a scandal-free team like the Bengals... :rolleyes:

Yeah, because the decisions of 22 year old bone-head players should be weighted more heavily than 50+ year old managers and owners.

How 'bout the decisions of 50+ year old managers and owners to bring in players without regard to their character issues?

Guess Favre is gonna get a pass on being the primary subject of ridicule this year

:ban::p :fro:

Walker-san said:
SO.... Boston, Bird....

How about them Pats?

I am shocked and dismayed. I believe that the NFL should do the following to teach the Patriots a lesson:

1. Forfeit Game 1 to the Jets.
2. Forfeit the 3 Super Bowls they won cuz they probably cheated back then, too.
3. Forfeit 5 scholarships for 2 years
4. No TV games for 2 years
5. No bowl games for 2 years
6. NO SOUP FOR YOU! No GQ cover stories.
7. Permanently ban Belechick from the league. No possibility for HOF induction
8. All players will wear a scarlet "C" on their jerseys (Cheaters). Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek will also wear one as a sign of solidarity.
9. No beer sales, no cheerleaders, no half-time shows, no endzone celebrations
10. No Super Bowl Parade

The NFL must act swiftly & severely!

(just kidding, of course.)

Boston said:
I am shocked and dismayed. I believe that the NFL should do the following to teach the Patriots a lesson:

1. Forfeit Game 1 to the Jets.
2. Forfeit the 3 Super Bowls they won cuz they probably cheated back then, too.
3. Forfeit 5 scholarships for 2 years
4. No TV games for 2 years
5. No bowl games for 2 years
6. NO SOUP FOR YOU! No GQ cover stories.
7. Permanently ban Belechick from the league. No possibility for HOF induction
8. All players will wear a scarlet "C" on their jerseys (Cheaters). Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek will also wear one as a sign of solidarity.
9. No beer sales, no cheerleaders, no half-time shows, no endzone celebrations
10. No Super Bowl Parade

The NFL must act swiftly & severely!

(just kidding, of course.)

That is not nearly harsh enough! They must also not sleep with movie stars for 5 years.

Seriously, Belechick did a stupid thing. Very stupid. And he got caught. And the Pats will be punished by the league. And you Jets fans and you Packers fans are still gonna hate the Pats because of their recent success and their arrogance.

Whatevah!

From ESPN:

belichick.jpg

What do you think this will cost them, a #1 pick next year and a #2 the following year? The league needs to come down hard on them for 2 reasons. One, because Goodell has come down hard on players so he has to do the same to teams, and two, you need to discourage this sort of thing.

Even though it was a different league, remember that the T-wolves lost 5 first round picks for that Joe Smith contract and McHale was suspended for a year.

todd_k said:
What do you think this will cost them, a #1 pick next year and a #2 the following year? The league needs to come down hard on them for 2 reasons. One, because Goodell has come down hard on players so he has to do the same to teams, and two, you need to discourage this sort of thing.

Even though it was a different league, remember that the T-wolves lost 5 first round picks for that Joe Smith contract and McHale was suspended for a year.

Honestly, I think the only thing that will really HURT that franchise is to bar them from post season play. I know that sounds harsh but I guarantee you no team would ever cheat like that again.

Losing draft picks or fines aren't going to hurt for very long.

todd_k said:

I was listening to WTMJ this morning, and they were interviewing Wayne Larrivee, the voice of the Packers, and asked him what he thought should be handed down. He suggested that the Pats forfeit the Jets game, give up a couple draft picks, and suspend Belichek. He may even have added more, but I was at work and couldn't listen real closely. I think that he's pretty much got it.

The verdict was handed down a few minutes ago.

Belichick was fined $500,000
Patriots organization was fined $250,000

If the Pasterisks make the playoffs this year, they forfeit a 2008 1st Rd pick, if they fail to make the playoffs they forfeit a 2nd and 3rd Rd picks.

LAME, IMHO, especially the fines. Give me a break Goodell.

Dude said:
The verdict was handed down a few minutes ago.

Belichick was fined $500,000
Patriots organization was fined $250,000

If the Pasterisks make the playoffs this year, they forfeit a 2008 1st Rd pick, if they fail to make the playoffs they forfeit a 2nd and 3rd Rd picks.

LAME, IMHO, especially the fines. Give me a break Goodell.
I think that's fair. You're gonna try to tell me that no one else steals signals? Probably just do it more covertly - i.e. NOT ON THE FRIGGIN' FIELD.

Speaking of NFL B.S. - I just got an autodial call on my phone from M. Vick. It was for an auto warranty.

Cute logos, but getting REALLY sick of the whole thing. You'd think they got caught selling military secrets to Iran

rdwj said:
Cute logos, but getting REALLY sick of the whole thing. You'd think they got caught selling military secrets to Iran

Would you rather hear about Michael Vick some more?

Personally, I think this Patriots thing is hilarious. It puts a serious cloud over everything they have accomplished--and it scars Belichick and Kraft--forever.

Dude said:
Would you rather hear about Michael Vick some more?

Personally, I think this Patriots thing is hilarious. It puts a serious cloud over everything they have accomplished--and it scars Belichick and Kraft--forever.

I'm honestly sick of both of them. I guess it's my fault for listening to sports radio all day

My own $0.02:

I think everyone does this kind of thing in every multi-billion dollar industry you can name. They are almost certainly all fraught with espionage in an effort to get a leg up on the competition. The Pats simply got caught doing it, and they have to pay for it. It could have been any team, but it was the Pats.

Honestly, I don't see how this could even be a big advantage. The cheater has to translate the signals (a newly learned foreign language), send the information to the coaches, who have decide the optimal plays to run given the information about what the D is going to do. Then you have to radio it into the QB, get set in position, and execute the play.

And you have to do this before the play clock expires.

It won't really change much, but you have to punish them. Not punishing them would be the same as openly condoning the behavior.

For me, it doesn't really tarnish the team's reputation, but I can see how it might for other people.

OK, so I'm on the horn of a dilemna here. In my other FFB league, I have Baltimore and Green Bay D. I've no clue which I should play.

I think I'd probably play baltimore at home since GB is on the road. I gotta plead guilty on both Jets and Giants offense this early in the season. Giants are all screwed up or is Eli in/out? Not a clue with J-E-T-S.

Your'e right, I'm not sure either :eek:. I'd probably still go with the hometown D.

Hmm, I dunno too much about the Jets (Baltimore's opponent), but Eli Manning's prolly not going to start against the Packers this week. Dunno how much difference that'd make.......

Cheesefood said:
OK, so I'm on the horn of a dilemna here. In my other FFB league, I have Baltimore and Green Bay D. I've no clue which I should play.

Don't overthink things. Green Bay's defense is pretty good, but you're not going to regret starting Baltimore, like, ever.

Cinci's a really good offensive team, though, much better at this point than Philly was for GB. I would be really, really surprised if the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS scored more than 10 points. I think I picked them to score the fewest points this week.

Young QB (no Pennington, right?) vs. tough, experienced, smart D? No contest. With or without Manning, the Gints would make me a bit more nervous.

The one thing no one is talking about is the Pats got caught doing this LAST year too. Goodell spoke to all of he head coaches before the pre-season this year and warned them....and the Pats still got caught! I think the penalty is too light here. Figuring out the other teams signals is one thing but using video to do it crosses the line, IMHO.

P.S. Start the Ravens D.

I can see both sides. GB against an iffy Eli (who is always iffy isn't he?) or Jared Lorenzen who hasn't started a game since 2003?!? Could be some defensive points waiting here. Higher odds better pay back.

Ravens - solid performer almost every game. Is Ray Lewis playing? 100% with that arm thing?

Ravens D.

The Giants still have some decent offensive weapons, Burress, Shockey, and who knows what Lorenzen can do. For a big guy, he can move. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants put up 20+ this weekend.

Todd, get over it. It's yesterday's news.
Focus on Sunday's game, Pats versus Chargers. A prelude to the AFC Championship in January.

More Yahoo! shenanigans portended:

Game updates may be somewhat delayed today due to our scheduled overnight server maintenance, which ran from 2:30 am PDT to 4:30 am PDT on Friday Sept 14. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Boston said:
I am in no mood for portented shenanigans.

Me neither!!! I want my shenanigans tented.

Let's keep our fingers crossed this doesn't mess anything up. I'm afraid to make a change or even go into my team for fear that the great yahoo monster will swallow up my picks and leave me disgraced.

I agree that SD and NE are the two most likely AFC championship teams. I think the NFC is much more wide open and I can't really think of two NFC teams that have that much balance in their teams. Oh, I know that NE has been more of an offensive weapon, but there is great balance there. Most of the NFC teams have either a great defense and no offense (Bears) or a decent offense but not very strong defense (maybe Dallas?).

WOOHOO!!!!

GAMEDAY!

I've got teh wings and the brats on the grill.

Once my headache goes away, I'm cracking a brew. I bought some Fuller's ESB just for today.

I don't know if any of you are watching the Bengals/Browns game, but two comments:

(1) I see a final score of about 61 to 60 (Bengals).
(2) Chad Johnson just totally blew the chance for use to get a field goal with 4 seconds left in the 1st half.

Grrrrrrr.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back