Fermenter next to the toilet: is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all know particles of feces float in the air up to 6 feet from the toilet when flushed. I would try another place. not to mention accidental splashes.

All joking aside, there's serious bacteria floating around in a bathroom that can really make you sick (I mean, "take me to the hospital" type of sick), so find another place for your fermenter. It's up to you whether you want to risk drinking the current batch, but just ask yourself if you're going to be able to enjoy it, regardless if it's contaminated or not.

All joking aside, there's serious bacteria floating around in a bathroom that can really make you sick (I mean, "take me to the hospital" type of sick), so find another place for your fermenter. It's up to you whether you want to risk drinking the current batch, but just ask yourself if you're going to be able to enjoy it, regardless if it's contaminated or not.

this is too bad, when it hits 115 in vegas I don't want my fermenters anywhere except the guest bathroom tub in some water and a wet t-shirt. just have to move all bowel movements to another place I guess

Pathogenic bacteria cannot grow in beer. Period. The OP was a joke; a more standard approach to fermenting in a household bathroom is not going to make you sick.

So THATS why the wife says "Honey you trying to kill us" every time I drop a duece?

this is too bad, when it hits 115 in vegas I don't want my fermenters anywhere except the guest bathroom tub in some water and a wet t-shirt. just have to move all bowel movements to another place I guess

Well... that's what I'm that room for... to move those bowels.

Go ahead and research "E Coli bacteria" and see if fermenting in the bathroom is a good idea.

Go ahead and research "E Coli bacteria" and see if fermenting in the bathroom is a good idea.

So show me one paper in the peer reviewed scientific literature that even hints at people getting Escherichia coli infections from beer. Just one. Then we can talk.

[ETA - I am not saying people should piss or crap in their beer. That is gross.]

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there is no known deadly bacteria that can live in beer, so even if it gets infected it may still be worth bottling it and trying it to see if you may be surprised.

Looks like we're going to have to start making up false websites with what swmbo stands for so that when people google it they'll get the wrong answer.

LOL! O.K.....let me get this straight.....an open fermenter placed next to a toilet while it's being crapped in and the advice is to pitch and ferment as per the usual? Alright......

But I better never see one complaint about anyone else's sanitation methods. And to think I've been told time and time again how I'm going to ruin my beer by using bleach as a sanitizer. I'll take bleach over poop-brew any day. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be noted that if you see a floater, you need to skim the krausen. If you let it sink into the yeast cake, it will make yeast propagation very distasteful unless you are brewing a german beer and it's being filmed.

It should be noted that if you see a floater, you need to skim the krausen. If you let it sink into the yeast cake, it will make yeast propagation very distasteful unless you are brewing a german beer and it's being filmed.

That was the sh*t.

WINNER!!!

this message was approved with less than 10 characters

Latest posts

Back