First Braumeister Beer Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I fully realize people are probably tired of hearing about my first post-comeback brew, but I am writing about it anyway. It's a milestone.

This one is 9# Maris Otter, 2# 10L crystal malt, 4 ounces sugar, WLP500, 1.25 ounces Columbus 60 minutes, one ounce Crystal 15 minutes, one ounce Crystal at the end.

The wort came in at 1.054 on brew day, 48 hours ago. Today it's at 1.024, and the thick foam layer I saw yesterday is now a film of bubbles. Measurements were taken using a cheap Chinese refractometer, so who knows how accurate they are? Today, for some reason, I had to turn the instrument sideways to get a reasonably clear SWAG as to the SG.

The beer now smells like bananas. I have no problem with that, since I was shooting for all kinds of fruity smells and flavors. The fermentation temperature is 71° at the moment. I was aiming at 75°, but I got tired of fiddling with the control, and this is kind of a wild recipe anyway.

Really nice to see it working out, given the little catastrophes that took place on brew day.

Latest posts

Back