Fermentation with a FastFermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Hey all,
First time brewing with a FastFermenter.
My DIPA has been in primary fermentation for about a week and half.
Currently, the fermenter looks like this (See attached photo).
There is quite a bit of trub at the bottom.

My thoughts are that I flush the sediment out by using the collector at the bottom until it's nothing but beer. then begin my secondary fermentation and dry hopping.

My brew buddy suggests we rack to a carboy for secondary fermentation instead, which may clear up the beer better.

I like his idea, but i figured the whole idea for the fast fermenter was to primary and secondary in the same vessel.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this?:confused:

copy2IMG_7094.JPG

From the manufacturer's website: "Our 7.9 gallon conical fermenter eliminates racking & transferring by doing primary & secondary fermentation in one vessel. "

It sounds to me like the main selling point for this fermenter is that you do not have to re-rack and the possibility for contamination seems to be reduced.

when I reach the stage of fermentation that you are showing, I close the ball valve and dump the collection ball. I have found that the first ball full is mostly trub w/ a little yeast. I then sanitize using Star-San and let the ball dry before reinstalling it. I slowly open the valve and leave the fermenter for an additional 10 days to 2 weeks until FG is reached. I then keg directly from the FF. I have done 6 or 7 batches using this method and all have resulted in very good beers. The second collection ball has good re-usable yeast that I store in a sterilized canning jar in the beer fridge until the next brew. I find the fermenter makes very good beer.

Awesome!
So, how do you normally take a FG with this? Do you pull from the bottom or just dip a into the top? Im thinking maybe just attach the ball at the bottom, drain some in, remove, and use that amount to take my reading.

when I reach the stage of fermentation that you are showing, I close the ball valve and dump the collection ball. I have found that the first ball full is mostly trub w/ a little yeast. I then sanitize using Star-San and let the ball dry before reinstalling it. I slowly open the valve and leave the fermenter for an additional 10 days to 2 weeks until FG is reached. I then keg directly from the FF. I have done 6 or 7 batches using this method and all have resulted in very good beers. The second collection ball has good re-usable yeast that I store in a sterilized canning jar in the beer fridge until the next brew. I find the fermenter makes very good beer.

Star-San is a wet contact sanitizer. If you let the ball dry it is no longer considered sanitized. It won't hurt your yeast to install it wet and then let the yeast into it. Properly diluted Star-San is yeast friendly.:rockin:

Awesome!
So, how do you normally take a FG with this? Do you pull from the bottom or just dip a into the top? Im thinking maybe just attach the ball at the bottom, drain some in, remove, and use that amount to take my reading.

You can install a bottling bucket spigot to use as a sample valve, or just take your samples from the top. Every time you reattach the ball and open the valve, a small amount of oxygen bubbles up into the beer. Under normal use, it's a negligible amount, but you don't want to overdo it by using the ball to draw samples.

FastFastfermenter has an accessory 'sampling port' with a drill bit available. This should make pulling samples easier. I guess you could also bottle from it as well if you placed very low in the fermenter itself.

Yep, what he said.

Has anyone had success using the FastFermenter for wine making? I'm still confused with when to remove the collection ball. Wine experts instructions say to stir sediment back into the solution. Should I pour it back in from the ball or not do it.?

Back