Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manoau2002

Reaction score
I have noticed a few people on these forums recommending people to leave their homebrew in the fermenting pail well after it stops bubbling. What are the advantages to this? Also I am currently brewing a coopers stout kit. On day two and three the airlock bubbled every couple seconds. Today being day four it has stopped completely. The temperature has consistantly been 21-22 degrees. Does that sound right?

From what I've read by letting it ferment longer it gives the yeast time to clean up after itself. Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean it isn't still active.

I have noticed a few people on these forums recommending people to leave their homebrew in the fermenting pail well after it stops bubbling. What are the advantages to this? Also I am currently brewing a coopers stout kit. On day two and three the airlock bubbled every couple seconds. Today being day four it has stopped completely. The temperature has consistantly been 21-22 degrees. Does that sound right?

your yeast is still working away well after visible activity in your airlock has stopped. yeast eat the fermentables and give off waste, than they start to clean up their waste. letting your beer sit in the primary a good 3+ weeks gives your yeast plenty of time to do this resulting in a more clear, better tasting beer. a lot of people let it go in the primary for 4+ weeks. don't go by airlock activity, your hydrometer is your friend

Back