Fermentation Temp Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
How do you do your standard ale fermentation temps?
Not Belgians or any super unique strains, but something like a pale ale where you don't want too many (if any) fusels and such.
I know it a lot depends on the strain, but I just kinda to wanted to get a conversation going so I can get different ideas.

Here's what I just did with my latest English brown ale. I'm pretty happy with it but feel like there might be a better way.

Nottingham yeast
Pitched at 61.
1 day: Set STC to 61.5 F
Day 5: set to 64.4
Day 6 bumped to 65 F
Day 6 1/2: bumped to 65.8
Day 8: bumped to 66.5 F
Day 11: took gravity reading. Left at 66.5
Day 20: cold crashed for 2 days, bottled

I imagine slowly ramping it up encourages more attenuation without getting the yeast so excited they spit out fusels and such. But I may be wrong... Before I had real temp control I had some bad batches that I assume we're due to lack of good temp control, so I'm a little cautious. Only had my STC for 3 batches...

Please discuss your what works for you with different strains and styles. On second thought any strain or style...

I pitch most ales low (58-60F), let ride for a few days (usually see activity <24 hrs due to high oxygenation and overpitching) and will slowly ramp the temp up during fermentation... Each beer is different, but starts out the same. When krausen starts falling, I ramp to 70F for a d-rest (I d-rest all beers, first beer ever was a butterbomb).

Your temps look fine. I wouldn't worry about ramping up so slowly. I usually wait until the krausen is just starting to decrease and then ramp up about 1F every 12 hours until I'm at around 2/3 - 3/4 of the max temp range. Once fermentation is done, I'll bring it back down around 1/4 of the temp range and let it sit for a couple of weeks. I've never detected fusels. I think you only need to keep your temps in the low range for the first few days when the bulk of fermentation is done. The only time I ever got phenols was in my early impatient days when I went straight to the top of the temp range for the yeast at the beginning of fermentation. Now I stick about 2F or 3F above the bottom range in the beginning. No phenols, fusels or other boogeymen.

For most of my ales so far it's been 65 degrees for two weeks in the fermentation chamber (wine fridge), room temp for one week and then bottle or keg.

Pitch at 64. Ferment at 64. Drink at 64?

images.jpg

I think as long as you oxygenate properly and pitch the right amount of yeast you can hold your temps within the specified range. For a normal strain that recommends 68-72 I will pitch at 70 and hold there for a week, then transfer to secondary and let it sit for about 10 days @ 72 before cold crashing and fining. No problems.

Using Nottingham as you are, your temp profile is solid.

By keeping it low at first, you're gaining a nice clean flavor. Ramping it up later encourages the cells to clean up some of the natural by-products of their little feast. You've got precise temp control. Keep using it to your advantage.

Notty prefers cooler temps (I've started it as low as 55*F for a few days) much more so than most other ale yeast strains and is less tolerant of fermenting too warmly. For example, I'll pitch US-05, BRY-97 and S-04 at 63-64*F and finish them up at 68-70*F.

Nottingham yeast
Pitched at 61.
1 day: Set STC to 61.5 F
Day 5: set to 64.4
Day 6 bumped to 65 F
Day 6 1/2: bumped to 65.8
Day 8: bumped to 66.5 F
Day 11: took gravity reading. Left at 66.5
Day 20: cold crashed for 2 days, bottled

This was actually a 10 gallon split batch. One had Notty, the other had Kolsch 029.
The only difference in the 2 was that with the Kolsch, I steeped 1/2 lb of chocolate malt separately and boiled, then added to the fermentor once all was cooled.
The Kolsch finished at 1.014 and the Notty at 1.011. OG was 1.056.
I expected more attenuation from the Kolsch. I understand it had more unfermentables, but didn't think it'd be that different. Do you think if I would have made it warmer faster that Kolsch would have attenuated more?

Back