Fermentation - Temp Level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of milk stout fermenting that I brewed on Friday (all grain). The on the carboy currently reads 73 and i'm afraid that i will get off flavors from the high temp level.

so my questions is - at what point should i worry about temperature creating off flavors in my beer?

I'm using SafAle us-05 as the yeast strain.

That is a fairly clean yeast. I wouldn't worry too much as a milk stout will have plenty of malt flavors that should overwhelm anything that yeast strain would put out at 73 F. Can you move it to a cooler location?

I can move it to a cooler location and i will take care of that tonight. But im worried that it is too late.

IIRC correctly, SO5 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056, correct? I have often seen it used commercially at 75F. 73 is fine... I used to shoot for 70F with it when I used it... I wouldn't worry... that being said, it would, of course, be a cleaner ferment with a cooler temp. Basically, RDWHAHB

I believe it is the same as 1056. I moved it to the downstairs utility closet that sits on my foundation slab and is about 2-4 degrees cooler. Hopefully the damage is minimal, this is my first AG batch and the beer to perfect.

Thanks for all the help!

You're right about it probably being too late. The first few hours of the fast part of the ferment are the most critical for off flavors. Moving it cooler now may just stall out the ferment. Plan to start your next beer at a lower temperature for the first several days of the fermentation and then let it warm up to room temperature so the yeast are encouraged to complete the cleanup.

Thanks! I pitched at 64 and moved the beer to a closet upstairs where it warmed up the to the 73 i saw when i came home. I think moving forward i will keep ll my beer in the utility closet downstairs.

...so my questions is - at what point should i worry about temperature creating off flavors in my beer?...

You answered your own question. The point to worry is before you brew the beer. I, and certainly many, figured out that once we controlled our fermentation temps we moved to a new level of taste.

You have figured it out. You also offered an alternative.

So my question is: Before you brew your next beer what strategies will you bring to your brewery?

Great reply and question. I can boil this down to a few improvements.

1. Pitch @ 64 (or wait till the beer settles to room temp before pitching)
2. Keep the fermentors in a cool place and leave it

Any other suggestions you can offer?

Great reply and question. I can boil this down to a few improvements.

1. Pitch @ 64 (or wait till the beer settles to room temp before pitching)
2. Keep the fermentors in a cool place and leave it

Any other suggestions you can offer?

I pitch about 60 degrees, and then let it rise up to fermentation temperatures- usually 62 to 64 degrees for my ales.

If you pitch at 75, it may or may not come down to the mid 60s before taking off, so I always pitch lower. I almost never ferment an ale above 68 degrees. I think the flavor is always better at the low to mid range of the yeast strains "optimum range" on the manufacturer's website.

I brewed a stout yesterday and pitched it onto the yeast cake from a previous stout at 60 degrees then moved it into a 63 degree room at 4PM yesterday. This morning I have slow bubbling from the airlock and that is what I expect for the next 4 or 5 days. Then at about day 7 I will bring it into a warmer room and let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks to complete the cleanup. That seems to be working well for my beers.

I pitch about 60 degrees, and then let it rise up to fermentation temperatures- usually 62 to 64 degrees for my ales.

If you pitch at 75, it may or may not come down to the mid 60s before taking off, so I always pitch lower. I almost never ferment an ale above 68 degrees. I think the flavor is always better at the low to mid range of the yeast strains "optimum range" on the manufacturer's website.

This is good advice. I find it much better to pitch low. Pitching high can let ferment temps get out of control and very difficult to bring them down. Keeping the ferment temps in the lower end of the yeast temp range does produce the best results for most ales.

The only exception to this for me is Belgian yeasts. I do pitch at a low temp but slowly bring the temp up over the course of a few days, often to the upper end of the range. This seems to get the good Belgian yeast flavors I am looking for in those brews.

Back