Fermentation temp issue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkhomer

HammerdownWPS
Reaction score
I am brewing a 4 gallon double black ipa. Got a new stand up freezer and inkbird for fermentation chamber. Ran into an issue last night. Woke up and temp of wort was low 60s. Still had some co2 release from blow off. Moved temp probe from 750 ml wine bottle to a 1 gal glass carboy and
20180922_112931.jpeg
placed next to wort. Warming back up to ~70 as I type. How do you think this will affect fermentation? Should I do anything or just let it work?

I think it will be fine. Looks like you still have a krausen so they are still working. I would just leave it alone ...

I am brewing a 4 gallon double black ipa. Got a new stand up freezer and inkbird for fermentation chamber. Ran into an issue last night. Woke up and temp of wort was low 60s. Still had some co2 release from blow off. Moved temp probe from 750 ml wine bottle to a 1 gal glass carboy andView attachment 589465 placed next to wort. Warming back up to ~70 as I type. How do you think this will affect fermentation? Should I do anything or just let it work?

Warm air rises. Why don't you just monitor the temp on the carboy.

The temp of the sensor water bottle is going to change much faster than the temp inside the carboy (less mass). It will cool to the desired temp and the controller will shut off before the wort is at the desired temp, most likely leaving your fermenter at a higher temp than desired for the duration.

You might consider mounting/taping/RTV'ing/whatever, the sensor on or in your fermenter, for accuracy and more consistent results. Maybe a "double hole" bung where the sensor can be put into the wort or use a long thermowell tube. Another option is pick up a cheap plastic fermenter (< $30 at morebeer) and install a weldless thermowell into it.

Just tape it to the fermentor. The plastic is conducting heat so it will give you an average of whats going on inside, with a slight delay.

+1 to the above. Use something to insulate the probe though. Some use styrofoam, I use a clean scrubby/sponge with the sponge to the fermenter. You'll get a more accurate reading with the probe on the fermenter.

Thanks for the responses. I taped the probe to the carboy. I have fermented in a smaller chest freezer and it seems to hold temps much better. Just working out all the qwerks. I managed to already burn up the heater. Anyone just wrap a light bulb in foil and use that for a heater?

Hello all.
Quick question...
I have the new spike cf5 conical.
I have an upright freezer with an inkbird controller.

Can i just put the inkbord temp probe into the thermowell? I have been doing that. I set the temp at 64, with a 3 degree swing.
(Yeast is 58-72, but is wyeast 1010 so i want it on the colder side).

When i check on the conical, it sweats a lot and the temp drops down to high 50's.

Are these swings too much for the yeast? Should i have a fermwrap or heater in there as well?

Thanks all.

Back