Fermentation Schedule Resource?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a book or online resource that details some specific fermentation temp schedules based on style instead of just ale/lager?
Thank you!

I didn't get any responses last night so let me clarify just a bit:

If I wanted to develop additional esters by stressing out a yeast, perhaps a particular fermentation schedule would help. If I wanted a clean beer, perhaps another schedule would do better.

etc. TY!

I don't know of a book, but you could probably put that info together by asking about specific styles or yeasts.

Temperature is one key you'll be looking to identify per yeast strain. Every yeast has its pluses and minuses related to flavor development. Think hot for bubblegum and cold for clove with wheat or Belgian strains. English strains can also develop fruity esters at the higher range of temps.

The yeast manufacturer often has some guidance on that topic. I have not seen anything that's a clear cut and cumulative for all yeast strains across all styles. That's probable pretty hard to compile as several factors play into flavor development from yeast strains. Everything from pitch rate, yeast health and viability, oxygenation of wort, wort compositions, fermentation temperature and length of time at temps will play a roll in flavor or (off flavor)development.

As a general guideline ( not inclusive of every strain) higher temps during the beginning of fermentation usually will produce more fruity type esters. While lower temps will produce clove in some strains and malty profiles in other strains.

You should buy the book "yeast" from the brewers association. It breaks down yeast into categories you may find useful. Just keep in mind that yeast doesn't care about style guidelines it only cares about its survival. It's the brewers job to coax the yeast into performing in a certain way by manipulating its environment.

Back