Fermentation Ramp times in brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the "ramp time" in Brewfather's fermentation profiles? I believe the other programs use it as well. I can get along fine without it but I'd like to use it as fully as possible to make sure my process is documented and consistent.

For example, my target fermentation temp for my next beer is 66. I generally want to follow the process laid out in Jamil/White's Yeast. So I want to pitch at 63, raise it to 66 over the first 24 hours. Hold at 66 until I get 70-75% of my expected fermentation then raise to 69 for a few days to get to final gravity and then another 3 days to make sure it cleans up. After that, I want to soft crash to 58ish to dry hop for 3 days. Then cold crash for a few days. I let fermentation guide me, but there's not an option to change temps at gravity stages, only days.

Normally I would set up a 5 step profile in brewfather, with 63, 66, 69, 58, and 38 and assign each step an estimated number of days. But there's this ramp time feature that I assume is supposed to account for how long I get from one step to the other.

So if I were to try to use this ramp field, how what would this look like?
63, 0 days, no ramp
66, 4 days, 1 day ramp
69, 5 days, 3 day ramp
58, 3 days, 3 day ramp
38, 5 days, 5 day ramp

So I guess my specific questions are 1) is the ramp the time from the last step or to the next step? 2) do the days for each step follow the ramp time, or do they overlap (i.e., 1 day to ramp then 4 days at that temp, or is it 1 day ramping and 3 more days at the step temp)?

I have not used Brewfather but I would assume the ramp time is the time it would take to get from your current temp to the next temperature. Then you would hold that temp for “x amount” of days then ramp up “Y amount” of time to the next temp for “X amount” of days.

Back