Fermentation questions re: Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
I have a Belgian (Xmas) Dark Strong Ale that has been in the fermenter (in a swamp cooler) in the low-to-mid 60s for three weeks. I pitched T-58 FWIW. I took a sample 2 days ago and it was 1.020 (OG was 1.085 and expected FG is 1.016). I'll take another reading in a day or so.

1. Assuming it still reads 1.020 on my next reading, should I just move on or give it more time to squeeze out the last .004 (Since I know Belgians can take longer)?
2. I've been conflicted about the fermentation temps because the yeast packet recommended staying in the mid 60s but most of the Belgian beers are allowed to free rise. Should I remove the fermenter from the swamp cooler and just let it go at room temp? Would this help finish off the last few points of FG and help clarify the beer (as it's still a little murky)?

Either way, the sample tasted delicious.

At this point that fermentation is over 75% complete you can raise the temp to whatever without worry. Id bring it up to 70 for 4 or 5 days and see if it drops the last point or three.

Thanks, this is only my 2nd batch and I feel like the more I learn about home brewing, the more I realize I don't know.

Belgians shouldn't take any longer to ferment than any other beer with a healthy yeast pitch. A couple of the Saison strains are finicky, but require more temperature manipulation to finish out than extra time. The free-rise with some Belgian ales should be within reason. Letting the majority of the early fermentation occur at cooler temps (65-68) will allow for good ester development without excessive fusel production. After that point you can let it rise to finish out. I think too many brewers run away with the free-rise thing too early and the result in my experience is a more than usual overtly fruity, hot beer that is unpleasant to drink.

Back