Adding candi syrup post ferment to a Belgian Dark Strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive just brewed a belgain Dark strong ale but instead of getting an SG of 1.088 I only managed 1.076. I was going to add some DME as the ferment slowed down but not sure if I should sue some dark DME or perhaps add some more candi syrup. I used 700 grams of candi syrup in the boil. Will adding more post ferment be too much?

1.078 isn't awful. Maybe leave well enough alone?

Adding fermentables "post-fermentation" will restart fermentation. Not necessarily a bad idea, but do you have a way to do that without introducing oxygen?

1.078 isn't awful. Maybe leave well enough alone?

Adding fermentables "post-fermentation" will restart fermentation. Not necessarily a bad idea, but do you have a way to do that without introducing oxygen?
No real way to do it without adding oxygen but I thought that wouldnt matter as the yeast will sue that O2 anyway????

yeast will sue that O2 anyway?
Probably. Mostly. Too, this style has strong flavors, thus maybe less of a worry?

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. I wonder why the gravity was so far from predicted, btw.

Coincidentally, my second-ever Belgian strong ale is aging in a keg now. I plan to inject priming sugar through the gas post before bottling.

Latest posts

Back