fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadillacbob

Reaction score
I just got a home brew kit and i'm about to attempt my first batch but...I work on the road and i'm gone for a month or so at a time with a week or so off in between.The kit I have says fermentation should take from 2 days to 2 weeks and they recommend that it sit for 2 weeks regardless to allow it to settle completely or something...Herein lies the problem...If I let it sit for too long, will it spoil the beer or something? Could anyone shine a light on me as far as how long is too long?...Thanks

Too long would be leaving the beer on the yeast cake for at least 6 months or more when the yeast start to die and eating each other. A month isn't going to hurt at all, actually it would be beneficial.

A work schedule like that would work out fairly well; start a brew, leave for work and let it sit in the primary a month, then bottle when you get back. Leave for work again, return a month later for some sweet, sweet homebrew (well, not literally sweet, but you know what I mean.)

I often have a similar work schedule. It is no problem to let beer sit in the primary for a month however I try to rack it off the primary trub after a week, then go to the secondary for a month or however long I am away. Makes great beer!

chillHayze said:
I often have a similar work schedule. It is no problem to let beer sit in the primary for a month however I try to rack it off the primary trub after a week, then go to the secondary for a month or however long I am away. Makes great beer!
This is what i would try to do. Brew the beer and put in primary, then transfer to seconary the day before you leave even if it hasn't been a full week. Hopefully at least 5 days though. After you transfer to secondary, place the carboy in the coldest area of the house as possible, like the basement.

Instead of the 1-2-3 theory, 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks to drink after bottling. I'd do a 1-4-2.

Back