Fermentation problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsy1979

Reaction score
Well I have 10 batches under my belt but now Im havng problems. I started a "Brew house" Munich Dark Lager (used to this type of kit) and used a Nottingham Ale yeast rather than the coopers yeast that came with it. Rehydrated the yeast and let sit.
4 Days later, the Krausen had fallen (as per the norm with these kits) so I racked to secondary. The S.G however was only 1.022 (O.G of 1.050).
I thought the temp was too cool (19 C.) so I warmed it up a bit. Still no decrease in S.G. I posted a thread in the fermentation area of this site and with some advice I pitched the coopers yeast.
I did see a little activity in my airlock but now the S.G is only 1.020. This is supposed to be a 5% ABV beer. (Approx.).
I do realize that this is a lager kit and I used an Ale yeast but my LHBS shared a glass using this same recipe and it was great. Do I need to use a yeast energizer? Any other advice??

You racked off the yeast before it was finished. Use your hydrometer reading to tell when it finishes before racking off it next time.

For now you could pitch a little more yeast or just leave it at fermentation temps for a couple weeks or until the hydrometer reading is closer to expected. Shouldn't hurt it any.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but you racked too soon. Next time give it three weeks or a month in the primary.

For now, leave it in the secondary for a couple of weeks (at least), bottle it (THREE WEEKS AT 70 TO CARBONATE), and move to the next batch. A 1.020 beer is not the end of the world.

osagedr I notice youre from the Peg as well! Where do you go for your supplies? I am going camping next week so I suppose I can leave it for a little while at least but patient I am not...
Do you find that even with very little airlock activity fermentation still happens? ( I know its not a great tool to measure fermentation but it is a great visual aid).

I buy a lot of "everyday" supplies at Grape and Grain here in Winnipeg, and get most of my equipment from Northern Brewer or other U.S. online retailers.

Fermentation can be happening without much (or any) airlock activity. It's best to rely on your hydrometer to tell what's going on. Plus many believe there are benefits to leaving your beer in the primary for quite awhile after fermentation is complete. Even if it doesn't help anything, it won't hurt anything either (for most beers) and you save an extra racking, thus reducing chances of infection and oxidation.

Back