Fermentation going unexpectedly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFenn

Reaction score
So I have started a batch of wine on the 22nd using the Welch’s grape juice and made it into a gallon container. The gravity at the time of when I started it was 1.140. I added my Lalvin 1118 into it and then I let it aerate for a day. I come back to put an air lock on and now after a week it’s only down to 1.130? Is there something I should be worried about because everywhere I read it says it takes 5-7 days to be basically done with the primary and it’s barely ate through the sugar in it. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s a time thing or more of a yeast issue at hand. I’m still new to everything and just trying to figure out issues. There was barely any foam and it didn’t form till about day 3 for the wine.

Did you hydrate the yeast before pitching? Not completely necessary according to some, but it’ll let you know if your package of yeast was active or not.

How old was the yeast? Pinch entire pak?

Nothing else added?

Room temp it's fermenting in?

Welch's was the juice brand...w no preservatives?

The yeasts date was for 2020.
I used an entire pack and the temp it’s fermenting at is at 70° F.
It has no preservatives. I made sure of that before I bought it.
Sugar was added - 2 cups of sugar. That’s all.
I also hydrated the yeast before pitching.

Wow...you're looking at a 19-20% ABV!!!! That's a pretty high OG, but...still doesn't explain why it's stalled out.

Exactly *which* Welch's grape juice did you use?

You really need yeast nutrients for such a high OG (that's way high to get a healthy fermentation started).

Make sure you don't have an airlock on it, and use a sanitized spoon or chop stick or something to stir it. Start slow, in case you get a bit of a volcano from trapped co2. Cover it with a napkin and stir at least three-four times per day until it gets going. That's a pretty high OG to start with, so make sure you pamper the yeast.

Concord grape, I presume. Do what Yooper said, she's got a lot of knowledge to share. I guess the high OG is kind of like a kid living on twinkies and Mountain Dew and nothing nutritious.

@Yooper, thanks for the info on a high OG needing nutrients. A tidbit of knowledge to save for a rainy day.

Hmmm. Unless I'm doing something wrong or looking at something wrong, doesn't Welch's Concord come out to being around 1.054. Fermcalc shows adding a pound of sugar would raise it up to a little over 1.092. Are you sure about your hydrometer readings? Like I said, I may be (probably am) doing something wrong with my calculation...I'm a newbie, too! :)

Yea... two cups is about a pound, so should be closer to the 1.100 mark, unless some of that Juice was concentrate.

I have 1118 going right now in a 1100. IT is like stirring Champagne. The temp is warmer here in the South 78ºf.
Yooper is on to something with getting some o2 in there. I have seen were some use a drill motor and and a curved plastic (sanitized of course) to stir it in a bottle.

Back