Fermentation Chamber advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DublinOhioBrewer

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to acquire the upright freezer pictured below. I'm thinking it might be suitable for a fermentation chamber? I have two inkbird 308 devices and two heating pads so I really just need some advice as far as how I convert this into a fermenting chamber in the event I want to do lagers. I imagine I could just remove some of the shelves and put some fermenters in there and just wire it up to the inkbird but I didn't know if anybody had a good idea or a model that they might have used for something like this that I can mooch off of LOL
60790.jpeg

The shelves can't be removed somehow? That's a real bummer. But since you responded, what do you think would be better a fridge or a vertical freezer?

Depnds. I dont have a garage or basement. Mine is in my apartment so space is precious. I had a chest unit, but things always got dumped on top by wife, kind of a pain to open and close alot. Just switched to an upright, not done with build yet but less floor area and more storage for me. Plus now if something is on top i can still open door.
So kind of a personal preference really.

If you go upright, you just have to check the photos to see if the coils are in the shelves. Theres alot of threads online about upright keezer builds. You can probably find alot of models.

My personal opinion is that lifting 5 gallon carboys out of a chest freezer is going to be an absolute pain. I would much rather convert a fridge or upright freezer into a fermenting chamber because then I can just walk up to it and slide it onto the Shelf without having to bend over or anything else. It's also going to give me all the space I need if I decide to transition to kegging which I'm sure I will since I absolutely hate bottling. I already have the temperature controllers to facilitate the conversion. It's really just a matter of finding something that works

Thanks for the heads up on the coils though because I didn't know that. I'm glad I didn't commit to taking it. I'll pay more attention

I use a Magic Chef refrigerator along with a temperature controller and a thermowell probe. Tons of room for many fermenters and you don't have to bend over to put in or remove them. Easy on the back.

i found multiple units for sale on craigslist in good condition, in the newer age range, for 75-150 out here in bay area. there were cheaper ones, in fact i got mine free. a little bit old, but did claim to be energy saver (circa 2003). craigslist, let it go, yard sales, etc. all you need to know is no coil-in-the-shelves designs.

refrigerators should work too, but most are the traditional style with freezer on top. i think thats why most folks go for freezers.

i dont typically have more than 4 kegs going, so for me its kegs on bottom and storage on top. wife is thrilled all my hops are out of freezer, yeast and commercial beers out of fridge. she didnt want taps coming out of the fridge and looking "frat house" so i have to rig up a little serving area in the unit but i think it should still be plenty of storage.

I use a Magic Chef refrigerator along with a temperature controller and a thermowell probe. Tons of room for many fermenters and you don't have to bend over to put in or remove them. Easy on the back.
Cubalz would you have any objection to taking a picture of that set up so I can see how you have it structured?

RM-MN makes a good point. i was thinking of a keezer. for fermentation chamber you should try and match the unit size to how much you typically ferment. no reason to have 20cuft for one carboy.

if you typically do one ferment at a time, check out the little half-size dorm refrigerators. could probably score one for free somewhere.

Thanks man!

I'm kind of trying to be a little preemptive here at the same time because I have little doubt that I will convert to kegging because bottling just absolutely sucks. I'm assuming that you would use the fridge as a fermenting vessel for the first few days of fermenting or whatever and then just let it operate as a regular fridge the rest of the time if you have kegs and bottled beer whatever else in there? Doesn't using a temperature controller pretty much allow you to use it as a fermenter and then reverted back to a regular fridge when you're not fermenting anything?

Well conceptually, yes. My fridge ALWAYS has at least one fermenter in at all times!! If you want to use it as a regular fridge when you are not fermenting, all you would have to do is unplug from the controller and into the wall directly and it is now ready to use for food. When the fridge is hooked up to the controller, you move the temperature selector to the middle position how you would during regular use in a kitchen.

RM-MN makes a good point. i was thinking of a keezer. for fermentation chamber you should try and match the unit size to how much you typically ferment. no reason to have 20cuft for one carboy.

if you typically do one ferment at a time, check out the little half-size dorm refrigerators. could probably score one for free somewhere.
You can often get good deals on dorm fridges at the end of the spring semester on college campus's when the seniors are moving out and the underclassmen have already left town.

You can often get good deals on dorm fridges at the end of the spring semester on college campus's when the seniors are moving out and the underclassmen have already left town.
The problem is that my fermenters are 7 gallon fermonsters which probably will not fit in a dorm fridge with an airlock on them

I use a full size fridge. I bought the one that I have because it does not have a top freezer, I had no need for it and wanted the space. The controller I am using is a Thermostar 2 way controller. Works great.

Thanks man!

I'm kind of trying to be a little preemptive here at the same time because I have little doubt that I will convert to kegging because bottling just absolutely sucks. I'm assuming that you would use the fridge as a fermenting vessel for the first few days of fermenting or whatever and then just let it operate as a regular fridge the rest of the time if you have kegs and bottled beer whatever else in there? Doesn't using a temperature controller pretty much allow you to use it as a fermenter and then reverted back to a regular fridge when you're not fermenting anything?

You really need two refrigerators if you want a fermenting chamber and a kegerator. If you only have one, you will run out of beer, then go without while you ferment the next batch or you will have warm beer to drink for the days you need to ferment.

The problem is that my fermenters are 7 gallon fermonsters which probably will not fit in a dorm fridge with an airlock on them

There's an easy solution to this problem. Don't use an airlock. Airlocks have two purposes, to allow excess CO2 out and to entertain brewers. Since your fermenter will be in a closed up refrigerator you won't see bubbles. A simple hole in the lid of a bucket with a piece of plastic taped over it works the same way except you can't see bubbles.

I bought an Edgestar kegerator without the conversion kit for fermentation temperature control using an Inkbird 310 and it works great. I use BrewBuckets with S type airlocks and there's plenty of clearance inside. I'm thinking about building a stand for mine so i don't have to bend over so much when putting the Brewbucket in or taking it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get that freezer for cheap or free, here is what I did with one I snagged for free...it will hold 4x Pin-lock kegs and a 10# tank
20180201_173142.jpg 20180201_173213.jpg

Thanks man!

So what are you going to do with the cold stuff when you have a fermenter in there? You need two units, one for a fermentation chamber, and one for a fridge.

That's a very good point. I'm early in the planning stages so I'm pretty suggestive to anything. I guess that might be why I'm posting, because I don't really know what I need to take into consideration since I'm still pretty new to this. Ultimately I don't see myself bottling much longer. It's such a pain in the rear end. I'll probably end up looking for corny kegs and kegging beer instead of bottling, although I may bottle a few for giving out to friends and what not. What do you suggest?

Sorry about the recipe post. That was meant for a conversation and I posted it to the wrong spot. But I guess everybody knows what I'm making this weekend LOL

That's a very good point. I'm early in the planning stages so I'm pretty suggestive to anything. I guess that might be why I'm posting, because I don't really know what I need to take into consideration since I'm still pretty new to this. Ultimately I don't see myself bottling much longer. It's such a pain in the rear end. I'll probably end up looking for corny kegs and kegging beer instead of bottling, although I may bottle a few for giving out to friends and what not. What do you suggest?

Chest freezers with Inkbird controllers. Easiest, lowest cost, plug and play.

Chest freezers with Inkbird controllers. Easiest, lowest cost, plug and play.

Sorry for a dumb question, but it's always seemed like a great solution - with the exception, at least for me - do you guys have to yank your fermentors out of the freezer? Or do you transfer by some other means? (Screwed up back, among other things).

Sorry for a dumb question, but it's always seemed like a great solution - with the exception, at least for me - do you guys have to yank your fermentors out of the freezer? Or do you transfer by some other means? (Screwed up back, among other things).
Yeah, it's a pain. Go front-loading if you can

That's the one thing that turns me off the most about a deep freezer for a mentor. Trying to lift out a 5 gallon fermenter probably isn't much fun. I definitely think a front loader would be much easier

Front load is better for logistics. Chest freezers are cheaper if you buy them used. I’m pretty sure that’s why they are so popular.

For my kegerator I wanted to go with a bigger size and get something new so I could rely on it lasting a while. For a larger volume solution I found that an “all refrigerator” was a great solution. It was a little bit more than a large chest freezer, but better suited to what I needed and a smaller footprint. They are refrigerators with no freezer at all. They are rare though, so getting one used would be tough.

If you are the tenacious scrapper type you can find glass front refrigerators in lots of sizes on craigslist and the many restaurant auction sites. They can be very cool if you end up eventually going with a conical for fermentation.

You can take that refrigerator and make a walk-in cooler out of it. I’m sure insulation board, some fans, etc could get you to that point. But, that would be very inefficient. Still would be cool though.

I have an upright freezer and Inkbird 308 for a fermentation chamber and when I have nothing fermenting, I use it to make ice for my next brew day to cool the counterflow chiller. It easily fits my fastferment and I only need to lift it about 12”

They are rare but there are tiny appliances for tiny apartments that could work. Its a typical fridge/freezer combo but only about 24 wide. Tall and narrow. Maybe RV appliances would be similar?

Also there are smaller sized upright freezers that could work and maybe be cheap/free.

If you only get one piece of equipment and have the size to fit it all then you could try running the cooler at 45, which is still pretty cold for your beer, then insulate and heat your fermenter. You could probably get the wort to low 60s and yeast will add a few degrees on their own. Rest fermenter on something nonconducting like rubber, foam or cork, wrap a heating pad around it and secure it tight, then insulate with a layer or two over the pad. Worked for me until i got room for two coolers.

IMG_1507.JPG
Here's my old fermentation chamber. I put in a full roll out drawer. That way I don't disturb the yeast and trub when I rack into my bottling carboy. I have a vacuum pump, so I rarely lift full carboys.

Full size front door freezer for fermentation with a diy temp control stc-1000 for both cool and heat. Had an apt fridge for kegs (nice to keep hops in freezer in top) but it died so went to chest freezer for kegs. I like having front loading for carboys, but chest freezer is OK for kegs. Plus keg is empty when pulling out.

I just lift it out. Not as hard as it seems, if your fermenter has handles on it. I was really worried about lifting my full kegs over the collar of my keezer, which is also sitting on an 8" base. Again, not too hard.

Chest freezers are more efficient to operate. When you open the top, you don't loose much of your cooled air since cold air sinks. With a upright style, every time you open the door a large portion of your cold air spills out and warmer air replaces it, forcing the unit to chill the warmer air.

Back