FermCap vs. Five Star Defoamer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Anyone used both of these to compare? Anyone used 5-Star.

I've used FermCap for years and have had good results. I use about 2 drops per gallon (try to be sightly less), and it works great to prevent boil-overs, and minimizes blow-offs (except for some Belgian yeasts that seem to ignore it).

I just ordered 5-Star Defoamer. It says to use 1 drop in 5 gallons. Is this right? Anyone used it ..... does it work at this concentration?

"1-2 drops per gallon. Do not exceed this dosage or your beer will exceed FDA limitations for silicon content."

I checked a half dozen merchant sites and the ones that bother to mention the dosing rate were consistent with the above recommendation...

Cheers!

Agree. I was also shocked when I bought a bottle and it said to only use 1-2 drops per 5 gallons, but works just as well as the 10-12 drop of FermCap I used to use, not to mention it is a lot cheaper.

They both work, but the shelf life of 5-Star Defoamer is six months, whereas Fermcap-S will last indefinitely if kept cool.

Back