Five Star Defoamer vs FermCapS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I've used FermCapS for the past 10 years with no issues. 2 drops per gallon in the boil, and then additional drops in the fermenter to get to 2 drops per gallon total (I partial boil). It has worked great preventing boil-overs (4+ gallons in a 5 gallon pot) and minimizing blow-off (6.5 gallons in a 7 gallon fermenter).

Last time I bought supplies, the place didn't have FermCapS, so I got the Five Star Defoamer. I've finally run out of the FermCapS, so next brew will use the Five Star.

Instructions on the Five Star say 1 drop per 5 gallons. Does you really need that little, or will I need more. I usually ignore my kettle while it is coming to the boil, but I think I'll be watching very carefully next time if I only add 1 drop of the defoamer.

Anyone able to offer experience and advice on using the defoamer?

fwiw, never used it, but I have read for five gallons batches to use 3-4 drops in the boil kettle, 1-2 in the fermenter...

Cheers!

I have some five star defoamer and have not had luck with it. I still have to babysit my 10 gallon kettle with 6-7 gallons of wort. However, I haven't really tried adding more than advised on the label so perhaps that would work.

Also I was never really clear on when to add it. Do you add when you start heating or wait until its getting close to boil?

Back