[Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not to muck up this awesome thread, but I had a question, maybe stupid maybe not.
I have tons of spare pc's around, including a dedicated server(real server) doing some live streaming and whatnot. Is there a way to utilize this on a pc? Emulator, anything? If not the pi, is easy and cheap enough but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the work, super excited for this.

You should be able to run this from Linux as that's what Rpi base OS is. But you need a way to get data from the flow sensors. You could use arduino for the flow sensors. Python can get data from the sensors and put into the mysql db. The arduino and Rpi about the same cost so on cost it's probably a wash.

So not to muck up this awesome thread, but I had a question, maybe stupid maybe not.
I have tons of spare pc's around, including a dedicated server(real server) doing some live streaming and whatnot. Is there a way to utilize this on a pc? Emulator, anything? If not the pi, is easy and cheap enough but thought I would ask.

The problem with that is that the PC doesn't typically have any GPIO/I2C to work with. The software would work fine for the most part, but you would have to figure out a different interface for the flow sensors which would be more trouble than it's worth.

Like the two previous said... if you want the flowmeters your options are to go with the RaspberryPints solution using a PI, or look at kegbot. It uses a seperate linux "server" and arduino controller to control the flowmeters.

Or, you can run it with out the flow meters and have to update everything by hand.

Its a php based site so any webserver with php and mysql enabled on it should work fine.

You need to have a GitHub account, fork or branch the repository, make your changes, then create a Pull Request. Once the Pull Request is in, I can review/accept the code changes.

I really disagree. We're talking about a group of individuals that can modify/extend/re-insulate chest freezers, plumb an entire gas and liquid distribution system, and build multiple-barrel brewery sculptures. Hell, everybody here can turn water, grain, hops and yeast into a delicious beverage! I think you're selling the community short if you say they can't hand a little soldering.

Here's a sample 5 minute basic video on how to solder. It appears to be written by a 16 year old who has his own electronics company. No joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL86gO9mfT8

While cool, a little on the pricey side.

I don't see myself buying one to test it, but once I get the hang of it, I might consider accepting a loaner to test with pre-paid return shipping.

I think you underestimate just how much I don't want to solder =). My success rate was far too low in the past. Some woodworking, plumbing and electrical are fine with me, but soldering and painting are on my no go list because they require too much rework on my part \ scrapping of components.

That being said I would happily sponsor a PiFace for you or Agent if that meant I didn't have to solder. I think for most people the extra 20 bucks to avoid investing in basic soldering tools would be worth it.

But I've invested in this already so I'll solder if I have to =). The PiFace is 5v so it probably requires additional soldering anyway.

Hey guys, I don't want to disrupt progress but I just got my gear and was going through the install instructions. Got to the point where I downloaded RaspberryPints and transferred it over to my Raspberry Pi.

Looking at the Raspberry Pints in GitHub, there is no longer a raspberrypints.sql file in the main root folder. So obviously I can't run it to create the DB and stuff.

Maybe it got removed accidentally in an update or something? Or maybe I'm a noob. Either way, no rush, just wanted you guys to be aware of it if something went wrong.

Thanks,
Trent

Another, semi-off-topic question. Does anyone have issues with their Favi mini wireless keyboard where the @ and " are switched around, the # doesn't work and/or Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't work either when connected to Raspberry Pi? Not sure if mine is defective or if it's just a limitation of the device.

Finally got the hdmi to dvi adapter today. Fired up the RasPi. What operating system is supposed to be installed. And is there an operation RaspberryPints version without flow meters that can be installed yet?
Thanks to all involved.

I took a look and installed the updated code tonight, and it looks great. I see the new config and admin section.

I'll update the install docs in the next day or so, and start on a "How To" doc as well.

Should I put the information on the Git Wiki, or continue to update the Word doc for now?

Finally got the hdmi to dvi adapter today. Fired up the RasPi. What operating system is supposed to be installed. And is there an operation RaspberryPints version without flow meters that can be installed yet?
Thanks to all involved.

If you follow the instructions on post #295 that should get you real close. The only difference is a few posts above this where you use schema.sql instead of raspberrypint.sql when called for in the instructions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fe...ital-tap-lists-450400/index8.html#post5818065

I took a look and installed the updated code tonight, and it looks great. I see the new config and admin section.

I'll update the install docs in the next day or so, and start on a "How To" doc as well.

Should I put the information on the Git Wiki, or continue to update the Word doc for now?

Im glad you like the admin!!! Been killing myself over it!

I figured out how to get the raspberry pi on to the internet and post this message. That is a major feat for me. Next we`ll see if I can figure out raspberry pints.

Another, semi-off-topic question. Does anyone have issues with their Favi mini wireless keyboard where the @ and " are switched around, the # doesn't work and/or Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't work either when connected to Raspberry Pi? Not sure if mine is defective or if it's just a limitation of the device.

Nope. Sounds defective. Send 'er back.

But honestly, why would you need Ctrl-Alt-F1? That's Win+Rf, which isn't even a keystoke. It should auto-resume the bluetooth connection after wake, so you'll only have to even press Fn-F1 each time you manually power it off.

If you follow the instructions on post #295 that should get you real close. The only difference is a few posts above this where you use schema.sql instead of raspberrypint.sql when called for in the instructions.

W

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fe...ital-tap-lists-450400/index8.html#post5818065

Yep.

As for the rest of you. I hope you enjoy puzzles. You're all taking the long, hard road. The easy way is to RDWHAHB, wait a few weeks, and we'll post full step-by-step instructions with pictures. ;)

You've can wait 12 weeks for primary, second, dry hopping and carbing, but not the easy road?

Edit: Critical internals are due to change at any time, without notice until we're officially released. Like you see with the .sql files.

Nice project and well done. Ok, now for the reason I'm posting... first off I'll admit I only read the first page of the thread... buttt I saw you talking about flow meters to measure the availability in a tank. I just wanted to chime in with an alternative more reliable and cheaper idea.

How about a load cell under the tank? You know very easily and accurately what a full corny weighs, so all you do code wise is present - empty and display it. Load cells are also a ton cheaper and if your off by half a pound it won't matter as much as a flow meter being off by a gallon because you barely pull the tap when topping off or something like that.

If you already mentioned this in the last 33 pages. Oops sorry. But it just dawned on me so I figured I'd share it with you before I forget.

So for someone who has no raspberry pi stuff, would this work for what we are doing?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XVAVAW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That will work, although we'll overwrite the SD card, so having NOOBS installed already isn't that important. It looks like it has everything you would need, except a wireless keyboard (optional), and a wireless USB (optional). The only inputs to the RaspberryPi are USB, so you'll also need a USB keyboard/mouse. You can use anything you have laying around, but you'll probably want a wireless small one for long term, and they're only about $15.

What you need really depends on what you have lying around your house. I got this one, but only because I already had a SD card and old microUSB (750mA) phone charger power adapter laying around.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2CN730/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What you'll need for components, and you can get most of the items in the kits, is:

Required:
RaspberryPi Model B Rev2
Power adapter (750ma min)
SD card (2G min, 4G-8G recommended)
HDMI cable (HDMI to DVI if all your monitor takes is DVI)
Monitor (HDMI or DVI input depending on your cable)

Highly recommended
RaspberryPi case (so you don't fry your board accidentally, and they come with most kits)
Wireless USB adapter
Wireless keyboard - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UE52ME/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thadius did a good writeup on post #4

Here's a decent option if you have nothing at all. Couple of dollars cheaper as what you linked, but with a Wifi USB.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GGM0Y66/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

To those that have already built one: Am I missing anything? I'll probably add something similar to the documentation as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it, thanks a ton. I have everything laying around, except for the unit itself.

Before you return it, make sure your keyboard locale is set correctly: http://elinux.org/index.php?title=R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Re-mapping_the_keyboard_with_Debian_Squeeze

Bingo! I was looking for something like this for the keyboard itself and didn't think of looking on the linux side. 20+ years of working with Windows does that to an IT guy.

I hear you. I do IT for my company, so I'm all too versed on how Windows-centric that is. Thankfully, the rest of my time I'm a dev/sysadmin for a system built on Debian. While Windows is great for workstations, Linux rules the world of purpose-built systems. It is an incredible tool for projects like this.

So I will start with the noobish questions. I am up and running, all is well up until the point of editing the tap list. I got it to accept my update(well I say except) but really= Query OK, 0 rows affected Rows matched:0 Changed:0 Warnings:0

I followed the PDF with the guide, did this change or do I need to do something else to actually get it to take?

Thanks
Bryan

Yes. The guide is getting stale already, and it's only been a week! This is why I didn't write a public one (yet). Though this weekend...

I'm assuming you're getting errors when importing raspberrypints.sql. Well, that's because raspberrypints.sql is gone. We broke it in half... one half for the schema, one half for sample data.

In the official install guide, we'll use the web interface of phpMyAdmin to prevent this issue.

Try:

Code:
mysql &#8211;uroot &#8211;pyourpassword < /var/www/sql/schema.sql

then

Code:
mysql &#8211;uroot &#8211;pyourpassword < /var/www/sql/test_data.sql

Yes. The guide is getting stale already, and it's only been a week! This is why I didn't write a public one (yet). Though this weekend...

I'm assuming you're getting errors when importing raspberrypints.sql. Well, that's because raspberrypints.sql is gone. We broke it in half... one half for the schema, one half for sample data.

In the official install guide, we'll use the web interface of phpMyAdmin to prevent this issue.

Try:

Code:

then

Code:

With
Code:
I get an error stating ERROR 1062 (23000) at linbe 65: Duplicate entry 'showtapnumcol' for key 'config_name_UNIQUE'

With

Code:

it takes.

I now see a bunch of beers on the index page.

I assume you are talking about the web interface by clicking on the brewery logo? Do we know that login or does it not exist? I have tried a few user/pass's and got nothing.

also the last question for this post is how you guys set your resolution? I have tried a bunch of stuff(basically editing the config.txt, but I can't get to to look right via HDMI on a HD display. The words are either way too small, or way to big, and I am not getting cropped stuff.
thanks

Negative. Not the web interface that we built. This one is part of LAMP.

The problem you're running into right now is you have duplicate db's. Pretty easy to fix.

Click the Databases tab.
Check the box next to raspberrypints
Click Drop
Answer Yes when prompted.

Now we'll try to import again, but this time using the GUI.

Click the Import tab
Click Choose File
Navigate to and select sql/schema.sql
Click Go
Repeat for test_data.sql

This could also be done using command line like above, but I'm not super well versed in SQL and just woke up. :)

also the last question for this post is how you guys set your resolution? I have tried a bunch of stuff(basically editing the config.txt, but I can't get to to look right via HDMI on a HD display. The words are either way too small, or way to big, and I am not getting cropped stuff.
thanks

/boot/config.txt is indeed the way.

Can you provide your monitor model number and what's your putting into config.txt? The whole file would be best, if you can.

Also, are you getting black banding around the edges of the screen?

Well I tried, I can't get past the static ip address part. I'll wait for the full tutorial.

Well I tried, I can't get past the static ip address part. I'll wait for the full tutorial.

Honestly it didn't work for me either, but you don't really need it if you have access to your router, the raspberry pi names itself, so if you look in your devices you will see it (thats what I did).

Alternatively you can use this :http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ as well

o_O

Your IP is either not that one, your WiFi card dropped you off the network, or somehow phpmyadmin wasn't installed.

In a terminal window:

Code:
dpkg &#8211;get-selections

Paste the contents here.

Also:

Code:
ifconfig -a

Paste the contents here.

Honestly it didn't work for me either, but you don't really need it if you have access to your router, the raspberry pi names itself, so if you look in your devices you will see it (thats what I did).

I believe he means he's getting frustrated trying to set a static IP in the DHCP section of his router.

I believe he means he's getting frustrated trying to set a static IP in the DHCP section of his router.

In the tutorial, is shows how to set a static on the pi, I couldn't get that to work either, so I went to router way.

o_O

Your IP is either not that one, your WiFi card dropped you off the network, or somehow phpmyadmin wasn't installed.

In a terminal window:

Code:
dpkg –get-selections

Paste the contents here.

Also:

Code:
ifconfig -a

Paste the contents here.

Code:
dpkg –get-selections

I get dpkg: error: unknown option -g

I know the networking side (thats my strong point) :)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:91:92:48
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2668 (2.6 KiB) TX bytes:2668 (2.6 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:ef:b0:16:35
inet addr:192.168.1.17 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:26340 errors:0 dropped:210 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2749 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:11199104 (10.6 MiB) TX bytes:499218 (487.5 KiB)

We can do a https://join.me/ if you want just let me know and I can get you my code.

Thanks

What are your plans for when a keg kicks? I always try to have a back up ready, but with that many taps it doesn't always happen. Maybe when the volume goes negative, shade the row so its darker?

Back