Feedback on a thick malty recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston_Pounder

Jackenstein McGozenhammer
Reaction score
The aim of the beer is to be malty but not too sweet. Bicuity / toasty / nutty... Let me know your thought, opinions.

5.5 Gallon batch
OG 1.071
FG 1.010
ABV 7.9% with an efficiency of 73% which is normal for me.

8lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Munich
2lbs Vienna
1lb malted oats
.5lb biscuit malt
.5lbs carapils

1oz Columbus @60mins
1.5oz Saaz 10mins
1.5oz Saaz 5mins
1oz Saaz 1min

Wyeast 1056
1oz Saaz Dryhop

Mash at 152,

Looks good for what you want. I'd remove the carapils. What are the estimated IBUs? I do like a robust bitterness, but if in doubt you could drop the bitterness to move the balance towards the malt in this.

Looks good for what you want. I'd remove the carapils. What are the estimated IBUs? I do like a robust bitterness, but if in doubt you could drop the bitterness to move the balance towards the malt in this.

IBUs are supposed to be 55 with these hops. I originally had another ounce of Columbus at 30 mins but that had the IBUs at 97 so I removed it.

I haven't used carapils enough to be able to distinguish it's characteristics but I know it should aid in head retention and give a thicker feel to the beer. What would be your reasoning to remove it?

I'd just remove the carapils because I never found it to have much of an effect. With that OG and with oats you'll have body and head anyway. I would consider it in a lighter beer, though.

55 IBU is good! Should come across balanced but with a complex background malt presence.

Latest posts

Back