Imperial Stout feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I'm am aiming at something like Founders KBS, Great Divide Yeti, Wired Beard Sadako

This is what I have so far for a 5 gallon batch

Est SG 1.100
EST FG 1.019
IBU's 75
Est mash eff 70%

13.25lb Crisp Maris Otter
4lb weyerman smoked malt
2lb flaked Rye
0.75lb Dingemans de-husked roasted barely
0.75lb Thomas Fawcett pale Chocolate
0.5lb Crisp black patent
0.5lb Dingemens special B

Mash at 152 F for 60 mins

Boil for 2 hours

2oz Magnum at 60mins
1.5oz Saaz at 20mins
1.5oz Saaz at 10 mins
Protofloc and Yeast Nutrient at 10mins
0.5lb Black Treacle at 5 mins

Aerate for 90 secs 1L/min pure O2

Pitch 1.5mill/ml/P Imperial Yeast A01 house @ 63F
Ferment at 65F

After 8 hours Aerate for 90 secs 1L/min pure O2

Raise Temperature to 70F after day 4 as fermentation slows
1.5lbs of honey close to the end of fermentation
Dry bean with cocoa nibs at the end of fermentation for 2 weeks
Dry bean with ground coffee in the keg at 43F for a few days.

I'm pretty happy with this recipe, its based on previous failed imperials. I may or may not barrel age.

I ma also considering 8oz of coco powder at then end of the boil.

Are you building a starter from 1 or 2 pouches of Imperial yeast? If you are using a clean yeast, you might as well use the cheapest dry option: US-05 and will get you the same results.

The recipe looks OK, but for me, the smoked malt and the combination of Roasted barley and Black patent might just be too much. I have no experience with the Weyermann smoked malt, but at that ratio, it could easily add too much smokey/leather/bacony flavours, but it's fine, as long as that's what you want.

Regarding cocoa nibs: 2 weeks sounds like a lot. Cocoa nibs and beans will add bitterness to the beer as well, which mellows out in time, but if you are aging it, 2 weeks might be fine, but for me it sounds like a lot.

I previously used 2lb of smoked malt in my last impy and couldn't smell or taste it after primary, let alone after aging it. I always think that I can age it if the smoke character is too strong. The weyerman stuff is really mild, I think you could make a beer just with that and it won't be too smokey.

I have never used nibs before so thanks for the advice.

I choose imperial A01 house as I is supposed to be very similar to WLP007, which I have used before in am impy with great results. It is quite neutral but not so much as say us-05 or notty. It still has a character very similar to WLP002 imo but is more reliable and doesn't need to be baby sitted quite so much.

Last edited:
Anyone else any feedback, I will be brewing this next week, so it would be great to get some input before then if possible.

I brewed this today. Added 8oz of cocoa powder at flameout. I mixed it with water first and then a little wort from the kettle before adding 1min from the end to pasteurize.

I am having second thoughts about my sugar additions.

Particularly the honey, which after some research I think is going to be imperceivable in the final brew.

So the question is what to add? I have black treacle, molasses and Candi syrup D-180 available.

I am currently thinking D-180 or maybe a combination of D-180 and Molasses.

Treacle is pretty pronounced. I brewed an English Old Ale with it and liked it but it's noticeable. Molasses might be a good compromise to treacle and D180.

I brewed this today. Added 8oz of cocoa powder at flameout. I mixed it with water first and then a little wort from the kettle before adding 1min from the end to pasteurize.

I am having second thoughts about my sugar additions.

Particularly the honey, which after some research I think is going to be imperceivable in the final brew.

So the question is what to add? I have black treacle, molasses and Candi syrup D-180 available.

I am currently thinking D-180 or maybe a combination of D-180 and Molasses.

Black treacle is the only one that would make a perceptible difference in the finished product. You might as well use corn or invert sugar if you’re just looking to bump up the gravity — honey, D-180 and molasses will get lost under all the dark roast. Which isn’t necessarily a bad idea; I used 10% turbinado in my last imp and it thinned out the body nicely.

For future reference, I’ve found that Weyermann Rauchmalz provides an awesome smoky flavor and aroma, but is so delicate that you really have to use a lot to be able to detect it at all. I use 50% in my smoked porter and Schwarzbier — I wouldn’t use any less than that. I know other maltsters make cherrywood smoked malt that is a bit more potent, but I haven’t experimented with them yet.

Hi specharka,

Thanks for the input, how much black treacle would you suggest? I use a lb in my old ale recipe and that's excellent.

I agree with the weyermann smoked malt comment, but I'm after a subtle quality, only just noticeable, rather than making a smoked stout. I would rather it not be detectable as opposed to people thinking its a smoked stout.

Treacle is pretty pronounced. I brewed an English Old Ale with it and liked it but it's noticeable. Molasses might be a good compromise to treacle and D180.

Hi Kickass, how much treacle did you use in your Old Ale?

Also weirdly when you add black treacle in beersmith, the est FG goes up?

Just tried the black treacle and molasses in my larder. Definately black treacle is the way to go. Recommend quanties welcome, I don't want an overly anise taste, rather a undetone of "rumminess".

I am thinking maybe 8oz?

Last edited:
Hi specharka,

Thanks for the input, how much black treacle would you suggest? I use a lb in my old ale recipe and that's excellent.

I agree with the weyermann smoked malt comment, but I'm after a subtle quality, only just noticeable, rather than making a smoked stout. I would rather it not be detectable as opposed to people thinking its a smoked stout.

I used 8 oz in my old ale and it was barely noticeable — I would suggest using a pound.

I used 10oz in a 5gal, 9%abv batch and thought it was easy to pick out. To me, it was perfect

Cool, thanks guys

Once it's, done I will paste photos and tasting notes.

Latest posts

Back