Favorite movie quotes- Blazing Saddles edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpaddy

Reaction score
"Excuse me while I whip this out!"

Attachments

• O7sdzo.gif
    O7sdzo.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 34
Was cruising the DVD selection at the library when I took my kids up there this past week....saw Blazing Saddles on the shelf...you know I had to check it out. The older male librarian scanned the kids' books, got to the movie, looked at me, and chuckled.

I've probably seen it a hundred times, and there are too many lines I could quote...but until I was in my teens I never knew what the hell my dad was referring to when he said...

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges! Vamonos!"

A classic that could never be made nowadays...

You can't even buy the blurays anymore. Looks like they stopped selling them a few years ago.

I don't remember that line from "Blazing Saddles." It was from one of the Sergio Leone spaghetti Westerns IIRC, and became quite a parody in it's own right, even if it wasn't meant to be. If it was also in "BS", then it was a parody of a parody and just another example of Mel Brooks superb comedic talent. Can't get away with that type of slapstick today. Sadly, those who are offended by it fail to realize Brooks was not empowering nor celebrating 'closeted racism' but rather ripping the scab off it by shoving it down your throat and subjecting it to absurd, withering ridicule. Nothing subtle about it, but the nuance was lost on both the Left and Right end extremes. Sad.

"Oooh. It's Twue...!!!"

I don't remember that line from "Blazing Saddles." It was from one of the Sergio Leone spaghetti Westerns IIRC, and became quite a parody in it's own right, even if it wasn't meant to be. If it was also in "BS", then it was a parody of a parody and just another example of Mel Brooks superb comedic talent. Can't get away with that type of slapstick today. Sadly, those who are offended by it fail to realize Brooks was not empowering nor celebrating 'closeted racism' but rather ripping the scab off it by shoving it down your throat and subjecting it to absurd, withering ridicule. Nothing subtle about it, but the nuance was lost on both the Left and Right end extremes. Sad.

"Oooh. It's Twue...!!!"

It has quite the history in movies/books dating back to the 1920's apparently. In BS, it was when Hedley Lamarr was interviewing candidates for his crew. There are a few lines I could quote from that sequence, including "Hey boys, lookie what I got over heah..."...which then leads to one of Cleavon Little's famous lines (which could never be re-done today). Also, another one of my favorite lines...which I also shiver to think could ever be put in film today...when the candidate repeats one of the crimes that he likes.

Give me a few hours to watch it, a couple of beers, a brown ale I've been meaning to brew for the past four days, and I'll have about 100 more quotes to post in here...haha.

It has quite the history in movies/books dating back to the 1920's apparently. In BS, it was when Hedley Lamarr was interviewing candidates for his crew. There are a few lines I could quote from that sequence, including "Hey boys, lookie what I got over heah..."...which then leads to one of Cleavon Little's famous lines (which could never be re-done today). Also, another one of my favorite lines...which I also shiver to think could ever be put in film today...when the candidate repeats one of the crimes that he likes.

Give me a few hours to watch it, a couple of beers, a brown ale I've been meaning to brew for the past four days, and I'll have about 100 more quotes to post in here...haha.

Cleavon Little received a lot of heat from the African-American community for playing that role, most of it totally undeserved. Unfortunately it had the net effect of limiting opportunities for him in Hollywood, though he continued to do well on the live stage. He had a critically acclaimed role in "I'm Not Rappaport" opposite Judd Hirsch on Broadway, shortly before being diagnosed with cancer which took his life. R.I.P., Sheriff Bart.

"Man, we heard you was Hung!"

Marvelous double entandre using the incorrect past tense of the verb "hang."

You can't even buy the blurays anymore. Looks like they stopped selling them a few years ago.

Amazon still shows it for $15 (+$ s/h)

"Oooh. It's Twue...!!!"

I thought that line was from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre w/ Humphry Bogart?

Those are old DVD's. You can buy a blu ray off someone through amazon for $75.

That price is for the DVD, 2008 Bluray, and the 40th edition Bluray.

Matter of fact, the link I posted showed the Bluray at $15 and the DVD at $50.

LINK

I thought I included the link in my previous reply, sorry about that.

That price is for the DVD, 2008 Bluray, and the 40th edition Bluray.

Matter of fact, the link I posted showed the Bluray at $15 and the DVD at $50.

LINK

I thought I included the link in my previous reply, sorry about that.
Is that by chance coming out of England?

Edit: That's a polish blu ray. I don't know if that'll play on us players.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-163917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-163917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
"We'll give some land to the n*ggers and the chinks, but we don't want the Irish."

"Are we awake?"
"We are not sure. Are we black?"
"Yes we are."
"Then we're awake."

"Give the governor a harrumph."

...but until I was in my teens I never knew what the hell my dad was referring to when he said...

That quote was a staple for my dad even though I had no idea where it came from until I was in my mid teens.

First time I watched the movie I laughed until I was in tears. On occasion walk into my house and ask loudly “Where all the white women at?” My wife is of nordic descent so it loses some of its meaning.

Is that by chance coming out of England?

Edit: That's a polish blu ray. I don't know if that'll play on us players.

I double checked before purchase and it says the Bluray was 'all regions'. However, it's coming from a seller called "OxfordshireEngland", so yes England it looks like. I'm probably f--ked. I can't remember if Bluray had region codes or not when it came out. I know DVD does.

It's already shipped, so I'll know when it gets here. Even though I double checked the region code, looked through the reviews, and ordered from Amazon US, I don't have high hopes I have a winner.

Fingers crossed.

Was cruising the DVD selection at the library when I took my kids up there this past week....saw Blazing Saddles on the shelf...you know I had to check it out. The older male librarian scanned the kids' books, got to the movie, looked at me, and chuckled.

I've probably seen it a hundred times, and there are too many lines I could quote...but until I was in my teens I never knew what the hell my dad was referring to when he said...

That's not from Blazing saddles. Your dad might have been referring to Treasure of the Sierra Madre, a very good movie about human greed and gold mining, starring Humphrey Bogart. I recommend. (Aftrican Queen and Casablanca are better Bogart movies, but I love Treasure too).

[edit.. dammit, late as always]

That's not from Blazing saddles. Your dad might have been referring to Treasure of the Sierra Madre, a very good movie about human greed and gold mining, starring Humphrey Bogart. I recommend. (Aftrican Queen and Casablanca are better Bogart movies, but I love Treasure too).

[edit.. dammit, late as always]

It is from Blazing Saddles...as well.

^^^ You're right. Totally forgot about that scene.

Going back to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre....great classic to check out for those who haven't.

I double checked before purchase and it says the Bluray was 'all regions'. However, it's coming from a seller called "OxfordshireEngland", so yes England it looks like. I'm probably f--ked. I can't remember if Bluray had region codes or not when it came out. I know DVD does.

It's already shipped, so I'll know when it gets here. Even though I double checked the region code, looked through the reviews, and ordered from Amazon US, I don't have high hopes I have a winner.

Fingers crossed.
Definitely let me know. I bought a digital copy, but I'd like a hard copy.

Definitely let me know. I bought a digital copy, but I'd like a hard copy.

Sorry for the long delay. The Bluray came in a couple of days ago. I didn't watch the whole thing, only the first 10-15 minutes of it. Seemed to have no issues. The opening credits seem to look a little subpar (probably an old transfer from when it was first released on DVD), but the rest of the movie (at least the parts I watched) looked pretty good on my display (720p).

Back