Favorite Brewing Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like reggae, try Buju Banton. His older stuff is teh shiz!

I'm going to have to change my listening habits when I go all grain. The extended brewing time will give me more listening time. I put an old CD player in the garage, so I'll listen to old discs until summer, when I can brew and listen to baseball games.

Not to be too ridiculous, but... I listen to old Noam Chomsky lectures. It's just something that happened by chance the first time I brewed, and I've done it every brew day since. I usually eventually get mad and/or a little drunk, and decide to switch to something soothing, like bela fleck. Some good old timey Gospel Bluegrass could be just what the doctor ordered for next brew day, any recommendations?

Hard rock. I listen to Squizz on my XM radio. I'm 42 years old and my 16 year old son and I listen to the same music. I have a 20G MP3 player that we store music on and we back everything up on a dedicated hard drive just for music.

I don't wanna grow up yet...

Fingers said:
Hard rock. I listen to Squizz on my XM radio. I'm 42 years old and my 16 year old son and I listen to the same music. I have a 20G MP3 player that we store music on and we back everything up on a dedicated hard drive just for music.

I don't wanna grow up yet...

:rockin:

I've got Squizz on right now here at work.

But to the question, we usually don't listen to any music per se. That might change here when I get my surround sound back from the ex-wife, in fact, it'll either be something from XM on that, or it'll be music from the PC in the kitchen if we upgrade the PC speakers.

ill.literate said:
...or it'll be music from the PC in the kitchen if we upgrade the PC speakers.

If you get your surround sound back, you can plug your pc directly into the tuner. You just need an adaptor to go from the tiny pc jacks to the RCA jacks. You can get them at radio shack.

Brewing tonight and was doing my normal traditional Irish. SWMBO decides to change to Beck and it actually was quite nice. So, Beck is now on my brewing music list.

rdwj said:
If you get your surround sound back, you can plug your pc directly into the tuner. You just need an adaptor to go from the tiny pc jacks to the RCA jacks. You can get them at radio shack.

Actually, I'll have to rig that up wirelessly.

the surround sound will be in the living room, and Shimms wouldn't like (nor would I really) a wire running from the kitchen to the living room, unless I can conceal it really well.

Though, it won't really be needed, because most of what's on the PC will be the same stuff on my MP3 player :rockin:

When I do Brew I make sure that I have the following:

1) Make sure i have beer to drink when I brew
2) Turn on the music channel on Satellite is tuned in to Classic rock or blues, or heavy metal

then i will get started to brew :)

I love listening to the Heavy metal airship and White shiny ball thick jelly. Figure that one out, really not hard. And I'll throw in some To be in a hurry.

beer4breakfast said:
Molly Hatchet and Black Sabbath this past time.

nice choices :)

I recommend maybe some Dio, Dokken, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Classic Krokus (Long Stick goes boom days) and for some off the wall brewing "Titties and beer" by Frank Zappa :rockin:

GoatFarmersInternational said:
, like bela fleck. Some good old timey Gospel Bluegrass could be just what the doctor ordered for next brew day, any recommendations?

well, spending a brief period of time with a wonderful neighbor by the name of Ralph (Stanley), I have to say i'm partial to his music - but I've also acquired a lot of bootlegs of 'unknown' bands who were at various bluegrass sundays at a few local venues.....

I'm also very, very fond of Del McCoury and his boys....their latest album is all gospel....those high, lonesome sounds always get me.

Hippiefreak said:
Do you jam while brewing? If so, what's your inspiration?
He11 yeah! I listend to this gem last night while racking my American Style Pilsner.
Grateful Dead - August 30, 1981 Compton Terrace Amphitheatre Tempe, AZ

Samson And Delilah, Ship Of Fools, Estimated Prophet > He's Gone > Drums > Space > The Other One > Stella Blue > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Good Lovin'

Rippin!

sause said:
I love listening to the Heavy metal airship and White shiny ball thick jelly. Figure that one out, really not hard. And I'll throw in some To be in a hurry.

The Led, the Pearl and don't be in a Rush to get your brew done.

I usually brew on my deck which is right off my family room with the 90" screen. I'll put some classic on like Goodfellas or Blues Bros and copy the audio out to the deck speakers so I can listen back when I need to run out to babysit something.

Hippiefreak said:
well, spending a brief period of time with a wonderful neighbor by the name of Ralph (Stanley)...
That's quite a neighbor!

I always put on my Sirius boombox. Usually Outlaw Country, Bluegrass, but sometimes Sirius Disorder which has an Irish music show on the weekends (Rogue's March, New Dubliners, etc.). When my neighbor comes over he insists on Buzzsaw which isn't my first choice, but it's fun playing "stump Roger" on that channel. He can call 99 out of 100 songs after the first 3-4 notes.

If BOSTON is around I have to put on "The Vault"... :cross:

....I'm not brewing, but I'm drinking brew.....and the Rolling Stones Rock'n'Roll Cirius is on PBS. This is one of the greatest videos from the late-60's era.

The Lennon/Clapton/Mitchell/Richards version of Yer Blues is f*cking out of this world.

fire up those bittorrent clients, and jump on this!!!!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=504655

Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys
Ziggy's
Winston Salem, N.C.
December 31, 1993

Source: DSBD DAT > DAT recorded by Alf Houck
Transfer: Casio DA-7 > M-Audio Audiophile 2496 >
Wavelab 5.0 (L3 multimaximizer, crossfades) > CD WAVE > FLAC
Transfers, Remastering and seeded to bt.etree.org March 1, 2007 by Bill Koucky

Band:
Bill Monroe - Mandolin
Tom Ewing - Guitar
Clarence ‘Tater” Tate - Bass
Dana Cupp Jr. – Banjo
Robert Bolin - Fiddle

1st Set:
1. My Sweet Blue-Eyed Darlin’
2. Band Intros
3. I've Lived A Lot In My Time
4. Bluegrass Breakdown
5. Blue Moon of Kentucky
6. The Old Old House
7. Southern Flavor
8. We'll Understand it Better By and By
9. Big Mon
10. Muleskinner Blues
11. Uncle Pen
12. Foot Prints in the Snow
13. The Watermelon Hanging on the Vine
2nd Set:
14. Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
15. The Prisoners Song
16. Dear Old Dixie
17. My Rose of Old Kentucky
18. The Kentucky Waltz
19. Tombstone Junction
20. Cryin' Holy Unto the Lord
21. The Northern White Clouds
22. It’s Mighty Dark to Travel
23. Can’t You Hear Me Callin'
24. Orange Blossom Special
25. Molly & Tenbrooks
26. Cheyenne
27. Life's Railway to Heaven
28. Rawhide
29. Bill gives thanks…
30. The Watermelon Hanging on the Vine
31. crowd
Encore:
32. Pike County Breakdown

Hippiefreak said:
enlighten me, I WANT THIS!!!!
A buddy of mine taped this a long, long time ago off the TV and it was recently re-released as a DVD. It was filmed in 1968 - Tull plays a kick-ass version of Jeffrey's Song, the Who make an appearance, Marianne Faithfull sings some ballad and looks mighty hot but the centerpieces of the show are the Lenon/Clapton/Richards/Jagger/Mitchell jam (Yoko primal screamming aside) and the extended Stones performance. They were really hitting gear during this era, and Mick is giving frontman lessons for generations of guys to come. As SWMBO said, "Damn, Mick Jagger and Keirth Richards are actualy beautiful (in this video)." I had to agree, in a heterosexual man-awe sort of way. :fro:

Buy it on amazon here...well worth it.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000621484/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing like listening to some cannibal corpse or devildriver while brewing. just like fingers 40 yrs old and still liuke the old punk and hardcore tunes

I like to brew to a little Lynnard Skynnard. :rockin: Of course, with the 3-tier brewery and propane burners and hillbilly music the neighbors think I'm cookin' meth in the driveway.

I can never remember what I am playing due to the fact that I am knocking back the frothies at the same time. Either radio (random stations) or CDs - james brown - ministry of sound. No idea :D

Lately I've been on a big Foo Fighters binge. I never listened to them too much(I was a huge Nirvana fan back in the day, and felt like listening to the FF was almost like sleeping with my dead wife's sister, if I had a dead wife) until about 2 months ago, now I'll put on 4 straight albums of theirs and not feel the need to skip through a single song.

Few things can compare to The Hold Steady whilst brewing. A bunch of really badass songs with lyrics about teenagers getting f'd up. Absolutely brilliant. I still get chills when I think about the first time I was standing there, a big pot of beautiful boiling wort in front of me, a cold homebrew in my hand, a good buzz-on in my head, and "Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night" came blasting through. There really is nothing like that feeling.

If you haven't heard The Hold Steady, then...um...
ban.gif

When I make supplementary brew notes on my session printouts, I typically note the music I'm listening to while brewing. I'll change up between the mash and the boil and the chilling/straining phases. Last session, I got a good dose of Willie, sprinkled with some Ted Leo and Son Volt. Giddyup!

Evan! said:
Few things can compare to The Hold Steady whilst brewing.

awesome!...I just figured out who I'll be brewing with tomorrow...their first one has never grabbed me, but the last two are tip-top (with the exception of that chick singing on Chill-out Tent) and will be played at maximum volume when it's time to make the beer

Evan! said:
When I make supplementary brew notes on my session printouts, I typically note the music I'm listening to while brewing.

I can't believe this hasn't occurred to me already, but I'll be doing this from now on

well, I got my 10 gallon coolers, and associated false bottom/valve hardware today...my first all-grain batch is goin on right now!!!!!!

So, to celebrate - I've got a mix of jerry (garcia), some acoustic Dead, David Grisman, and some Yonder Mountain String Band.....love to annoy the campers with YMSB at night ;)

woooohooo!!!!!

Hippie
http://db.etree.org/chorner

Hippiefreak said:
I apologize if this thread exists somewhere else...I did a quick search and did not see anything.

I can't function in any activity without music (it drowns out the voices)....but homebrewing just seems to lend itself to it (plus, I think it makes the beer taste better).

Being outside, big ol' steamin pot of wort - it just doesn't happen without some kind of music blasting from the 'brew cave' speakers.

What's your poison? When brewing on Sundays, I can't resist putting on some good ol' Gospel Bluegrass (especially to appease my camping neighbors at the KOA sites not 20 feet from my brewery)..mix it in with some Good Ole' Grateful Dead, Reggae and various geetar pickin...I'm dancin like a fool around the ol' brewpot.

Do you jam while brewing? If so, what's your inspiration?

Peace,

Chris (aka HippieFreak)

What I do nowadays is I put my iPod on "Shuffle" and let it decide what I should listen to. So, it varies between classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, gangsta rap, hip hop, old school, reggae, bluegrass, country, R&B, funk, alternative, grunge, jambands, jazz, electronica, and whatever the hell else I've got on there.

Also, every time I do a step in the brewing process, I write it in my notes, along with what song is playing at the time.

When I brew I usually set my mp3 player to random. I've got all kinds of stuff on there from classical to classic rock, bluegrass to techno, etc.

Hippiefreak said:
http://db.etree.org/chorner

P.P.S I'm sure some of you have noticed my annoying sig tag....what does it mean? It means that i'm a live bootleg addict, and I love trading/giving away/making copies of all these wonderful recordings I've been blessed with.....

Hey Chris, you have at least one recording on your list that came from my mics!

[mini-rant]I bristle at the term bootleg as it implies something illicit. Everything I record is done with the permission of the artist.[/mini-rant]

Taping is a fun hobby that gets me out of the house and into bars where I can drink something other than my own brew. :p I love being able to hear the concerts I attend again (and again and again). I also enjoy sharing my recordings with others who appreciate them. Here is a list of concerts I recorded and/or uploaded to Archive.org You can stream or download them all for free... and it's all legal :)

Latest posts

Back