Favorite Alt Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing my first Altbier and was hoping for some yeast recommendations.

I am thinking of either going with WY1007 (German ale), WLP029 (German ale/Kolsch) or WLP036 (Dusseldorf Alt).

Anyone have experience with any of these or another good Alt yeast you could recommend? Thanks

1007 is one of the strains I keep in my yeast bank all the time. It's great not only for alts, but it works great in cream ales, IPAs, you name it. It's super clean. The only catch is that it likes to work in cool conditions (like 55-58 or so). It's also likes to hang around in suspension, but gelatin or other finings clears it right out.

1007 is one of the strains I keep in my yeast bank all the time. It's great not only for alts, but it works great in cream ales, IPAs, you name it. It's super clean. The only catch is that it likes to work in cool conditions (like 55-58 or so). It's also likes to hang around in suspension, but gelatin or other finings clears it right out.

Not to hijack but I love WY 2565 for kolsch, and was considering trying this strain on an alt coming up. Has anyone any experience with how this strain does with an alt?

I have an alt on tap right now made with 2565. There are some negative reviews out there on it but I only have good things to say. I fermented at 15 C for about 5 days then ramped up to 20 C to attenuate. Dropped it from iirc 1.048 to 1.009. Nice beer. Very clean with almost imperceptible whiff of that kolsch type wineyness. But very clean and lager like. Probably my best alt to date.

I will not however that while there was any yeast in suspension at all it tasted like crap. Super bready and unpleasant. Lagered it for 1 week then fined with 1/2 tsp gelatin and conditioned in the keg for 1 more week. At that point it is now brilliantly clear and tastes great.

Back