Faucet lock - Anyone DIY something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
I have my beer fridge, I have a simple lock on it to keep unwanted kiddos or their friends out of it. Well I am tired of picnic taps and their inherent ability to leak, drip, get bumped loading new kegs and making the inside of the fridge a mess. I have two faucets and will eventually add at least two more.

faucet locks are $25 and up, that's not happening. I saw someone made a simple set up out of wood on each end of the fridge with say a dowel going through both with a lock on one end holding the taps from moving. I am not concerned with hiding the attachment screws. This isn't a problem, just a potential problem I want to avoid.

Maybe I will mess around with sketchup and have a friend with a torchmate plasma table cut and break something out of metal

Post up a pic for problem solving.

If the taps are mounted in the fridge door, what about something through the handle, through the door, with the locking mechanism on the inside of the locked door?

Of course, it would depend on your tap handles as well, how fancy they are and the like......

I've thought about inline valves on the tap lines, inside the keezer, and a lock on keezer door. The valves could be cheap home depot, water line supply, plastic stuff.

Similar to where I mounted them in my old fridge.
IMG_1760-XL.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Best idea I've heard prior to this thread is a lock on the door and turning off the co2. I like the idea of a dowel going through plastic tap handles though. Less work for ME to get a beer but keeps the underage hands off.

Inline valves with locks is a great idea. So is locking the Co2 tank after shutting off.

Again, not terribly worried, I just know how I was when I was a kid is all. I may see if a eye bolt through the side and a SS cable or small chain plus a lock won't hold the taps from being pulled.

I guess I will be the DIY'er here and get the taps installed and work on some security measures. :)

Not too worried about it right now as my kids are young but get concerned about teen babysitters. I plan on running a cable around the door in the handle with a lock. On the inside I had a buddy who works at plumbing supply do up a barbed shutoff really cheap, like $10 a piece. post pictures if you want when I go out there later for a beer.

I don't know about you but when I disconnected my CO2 tank to take it to a party last time I was still able to pour at least a few pints from each keg because of the check valves holding pressure. From what I remember it only took me a couple cans of crap beer to get me drunk when I was 12 so unless you are going to bleed off pressure from each keg the whole CO2 thing isn't going to work.

Valves seem like another place to have a leak. Shutting off the co2 won't stop the flow for several beers.

electrified tap handles, electrified floors, camera's, motion sensors, inline valves, laser traps and attack cats all sound like good ideas. Maybe disconnect the liquid side QD?

what about a wooden lock box over the faucets? you can use security screws to screw in whatever hardware you need to create the box (hinges? latches? etc) and then put a masterlock at the latch?

Considered that. I don't enjoy woodworking and know it would turn out like poo. I'd rather do something with sheetmetal if I come up with a concept. I have yet to install the faucets

Another option is mounting them IN the fridge

like this

FYUSK8WGBB7GO5P.LARGE.jpg

than toss a lock on the outside like you have now

Adding locks is gonna add a step anyway. If if you were good with metal I bet you could make some kind of mount inside look pretty badass. If you haven't drilled through the fridge yet it may save ya a warrantee, too.

No warranty on this ol fridge. I may get to this over the holidays and report back. I need to source at least one more faucet to have 3 on tap which is the most I usually have on hand.

Assuming you use the same taps and handles how about a bar that goes across the tap handles (in the closed position) that is hinged at one end and locked at the other?

Assuming you use the same taps and handles how about a bar that goes across the tap handles (in the closed position) that is hinged at one end and locked at the other?

I'm envisioning one of those toilet paper holder type setups where one side swivels up to replace the roll and swivels back down and locks into place on the other side. This could actually work. When it's locked and down, it would be at a spot to where all the taps were as far closed as possible.

I'm envisioning one of those toilet paper holder type setups where one side swivels up to replace the roll and swivels back down and locks into place on the other side. This could actually work. When it's locked and down, it would be at a spot to where all the taps were as far closed as possible.
Kind of what I was explaining or trying to explain in the beginning. :fro:

Kind of what I was explaining or trying to explain in the beginning. :fro:

Yep...had no idea that was what you were talking about :ban:

Do it though! I have no need for it ATM with a 15 month old, but the info and pics of it done would be a great resource for a lot of people. I may need it earlier than I expect though with babysitters coming and going soon.

Couldn't the taps be unscrewed and then the threaded piece be pulled to the open position? Unless the taps are wide where the pole sits across you're going to still have trouble.

So if you already have a lock on the fridge, why not just disconnect the beer lines and lock the fridge when you leave? Can't imagine it is any more hassle than unlocking each tap.

or what about something long to clamp down on the liquid lines inside?

or another idea i had when i was protecting my beers...
get cheap tap handles, put an eyehook on the handle and a long one through the fridge... than! put a lock on each one, or some sort of a lockable rod so that way they cannot come out any further...

If you're into the metalworking, I'm thinking you could make a hinged combination lock box and drip tray with some sheet metal. swing it up and put a lock on it to secure the taps, swing it down and it's a (rather big/deep) drip tray.

What about storing your taps with those little combination plugs and cleaning brushes inserted and having a a shelf or drip tray that swings around and keeps the plugs in place. Might be able to work out something with a piano hinge, stock drip tray, a little bit of sheet metal, and a lock hasp.

Personally, I like the idea of electronic valves on all of the beer lines activated by a key switch outside. Door remains locked.
Any physical lock on the faucets themselves would have to be super tight so that they couldn't just unscrew a handle and get it to drip beer. They only need a drip to slowly fill a glass after all.

Also, since I sometimes have root beer or some other soda on tap, I'd want the ability to disconnect one valve and leave that tap unlocked if I wanted.

I've read some threads on here that used electronic valves on beer lines, just not for this purpose.

Fortunately, my daughter is only two though, so I have some time to think about this.

krazydave said:
Personally, I like the idea of electronic valves on all of the beer lines activated by a key switch outside. Door remains locked. Any physical lock on the faucets themselves would have to be super tight so that they couldn't just unscrew a handle and get it to drip beer. They only need a drip to slowly fill a glass after all. Also, since I sometimes have root beer or some other soda on tap, I'd want the ability to disconnect one valve and leave that tap unlocked if I wanted. I've read some threads on here that used electronic valves on beer lines, just not for this purpose. Fortunately, my daughter is only two though, so I have some time to think about this.

Would end up being more $ than an off the shelf tap lock (what the OP was trying to avoid), but does sound like an awesome idea. A key switch with status lights above each tap!

Maybe it was suggested before, but how about simple ball valves inline behind the shanks and a lock on the door. That way you can shut off whatever taps you want without having to wire up electronics or engineer some fancy contraption on the outside.

Yeah, it would be more money for sure. But let's be honest here... How well would a tap lock keep you out of the beer when you were a teenager?
I can almost guarantee that I would have found a way to get past that with ease.

Besides, we all know that over-engineering something is what we homebrewers do best! ;)

Back