FastFerment vs Speidel for 10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for new primary fermenting vessel(s).
I am considering getting two fastferment conicals (and possibly building some kind of chamber) or getting the Speidel that can ferment 10 gal batches. My 6.5 gal better bottle carboys are on their last legs, so I need something else.
I am interested in anyone's thoughts on Speidel vs. Fastferment. Doing ~10 gal all grain, but sometimes do 5 gal extract to make sure I always have something on tap (if I don't have a brewing partner). I generally ferment using the cool brewing bag for quasi temp control with ice or heat in my garage. It looks like the bigger Speidel would fit for 10 gal batch fermenting. I like the idea of the fastferment (same vessel for primary and secondary) though, and am considering just getting two of those and putting together something simple like son of fermentation chamber for those. I'm still in the planning phase and collecting info and putting plans together. I'm just interested in anyone's comments or experience which would sway me one way or the other.
It doesn't bother me to rack to secondary after a week or so, but I am intrigued by the conicals and being able to drop trub and do secondary in the same vessel.

Have the fastferment conicals been available long enough that anyone has experience to estimate lifespan? Should I just wait/save for ss conical?
Is the fastferment worth the $100 price tag (I'd be really committed to it if I built a cooling chamber.) Does the fastferment with small stand fit in a cool brewing fermentation bag?
Would it be better to ferment a 10 gal batch in one Speidel for primary and move to two 5-gal carboys for secondary?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks!

Don't have either one, but I'd get the Speidel. You don't need to rack to secondary. The Speidel doesn't need a stand made for it, but its aslo not a conical so perhaps thats a drawback for you. Maybe get one of each and try them out, you can always sell one on ebay or craigslist or it will suit you to have both kinds?
Another option is get more better bottles. Avoid using a brush on them. Fill with PBW solution and let it sit for 1/2 hour or longer to get primary fermentation crud out. Are the ones you have scratched?
You can also get 7.9 gallon plastic fermentation buckets for less than $20.

My better bottles aren't scratched, but it seems like no matter how long I let them sit with pbw or how many times I do a pbw soak they still have some residue. It hasn't seemed to cause any contamination issues yet but I'm just worried. I'm anal, I guess, about cleanliness and sanitation. Plus it seems like a lot of water waste trying to get those clean.

I think I might try one of each, that's a good plan. But 1 Speidel for test would be the smaller, not the larger. Or maybe not, I dunno.
My local shop is now carrying Speidel but not the fastferment yet.

I generally do secondary because I dump the full brew kettle into primary and there's a lot of nasty crap in there once fermentation is complete. I have tried filtering/straining from brew kettle to primary, but it seems like extra effort and no taste benefit (actually I seem to get better taste in final product without filtering).

I do have buckets I could use for primary, I just usually use them for sanitizing. I am actually starting to think buckets may be better than carboys for primary, just for ease of cleaning.

I can get by with what I have for now, but just trying to plan ahead. I'm slow and it takes me awhile to change things around. I have to research a lot because I want to understand why and what benefit I get from whatever the changes may be. That being said, I'm fairly new to homebrewing so I don't have tons of experience. .

Back