FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, mine snapped off too after it was all installed. I had the thing filled with wort and the head just popped off one of the top bolts.

Ok so this just happened, I was mounting the brackets onto my new stand and the bolt snapped. Either the pilot hole was too small or not deep enough. Does anyone know the size of the bolt?

If the socket you used was a 7/16" then it was a 1/4" lag screw and needs at least a 1/8" pilot hole. Maybe one step bigger would be better. Grip the drill bit at it's end because those diameter bits are not normally very long.

If you used a 1/2" socket, then it is a 5/16" lag and needs a 7/32" pilot.

I think there might have been both at one time or another, not sure.

If the socket you used was a 7/16" then it was a 1/4" lag screw and needs at least a 1/8" pilot hole. Maybe one step bigger would be better. Grip the drill bit at it's end because those diameter bits are not normally very long.

If you used a 1/2" socket, then it is a 5/16" lag and needs a 7/32" pilot.

I think there might have been both at one time or another, not sure.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

That is exactly what happen to me. Buy good screws before install. Well the part about how a bracket came off the wall due to a screw in the top hole breaking .

Ya I got new screws drilled a better pilot hole. Finished it last night, kinda just need to put wheels on it to move it around when full.

20160204_190237.jpg

Well, I finally set up my FastFerment. I didn't have a stand and didn't have a place to mount it to the wall. Finally got a stand and set it up.

It's filled with a 6.5 gallon batch of my altered version of the Ol' Bitter Bastard from the recipe section. Other than a lack of airlock activity likely due to the lid not sealing thoroughly (maybe I didn't tighten it enough, maybe the gasket is lame), everything is looking good so far, but I have a couple questions. I apologize if these have been asked and answered earlier in the thread.

1) The thermowell - the instructions said to be careful to not over tighten, so you don't strip the threads. I was pretty careful. I got a few drops of leakage. No biggie, but there is some gummy dried up wort on the side of my fermenter. What are the chances I can give it another 1/4 turn or so and fix that issue?

2) The collection ball - are people generally leaving the valve to the collection ball open right away from yeast pitching? Or are people leaving it closed to let the yeast have more surface contact with the beer until a ways through primary?

1) The thermowell - the instructions said to be careful to not over tighten, so you don't strip the threads. I was pretty careful. I got a few drops of leakage. No biggie, but there is some gummy dried up wort on the side of my fermenter. What are the chances I can give it another 1/4 turn or so and fix that issue?

2) The collection ball - are people generally leaving the valve to the collection ball open right away from yeast pitching? Or are people leaving it closed to let the yeast have more surface contact with the beer until a ways through primary?

You may consider taking the thermowell it out after you keg or bottle your beer. Wrap the threads again with the plumbers tape go at least a minimum of three turns but don't get carried away. In the mean time- don't worry about it. Next time do a leak check before you drop in your wort.

I leave my collection ball open and have no issues. I did a Wit over the weekend. Dropped it into the FF the next morning, pitched my starter and that was bubbling away merrily by the evening. No problems hitting final gravity. I dump after ten days and then leave it open until I go to keg about a month out.

You may want to consider ordering another gasket from Adventures in Homebrewing. I use two gaskets on my FF and have no issues with the seal and get airlock bubbling every time. I think they have done a better job cleaning things up after they un-mold during manufacturing so sanding and scraping that used to be the norm are probably not warranted.
There are other solutions farther back in the thread but this was easiest.

There were some discussions a while back about various ways and devices for pulling samples from the FF. I added a brass 'ballcock' valve, and others added a Tee to the thermowell, and probably many more. Some were pretty good, some not so.
I happened upon the valve I had removed from my 10 gal water cooler mash tun, and it came to me - the perfect sample port. I removed my difficult to use valve, step drilled the hole, mounted the water cooler valve, and viola, the perfect sample port! No extra parts required either.

By the way, that's a heated reflectix wrap with velcro for quick install/remove, and powered by an STC-1000+. I'm still waiting for FF folks to sell spare lids so I can add a cooling coil to it. They seemed annoyed that I asked to buy one a while back. I'd rather have the coil on the lid for easy access/cleaning, than mounted to the FF itself.

FF_sampleport.jpg

The original thermowell and the replacement SS one I bought, even when loaded up with tape, screw in till the hex touches the FF surface without any significant effort. I remove it periodically to clean it, and load it up with fresh tape, and make sure none is left over from the last round. So far I've not had any issues with leaks. Can you go another 1/4 turn, maybe. It really depends on how tight it is. More tape may be a better choice.
The valve had to be re-taped twice when I first got it, but I load it with tape now, and no problems.

FYI, mine is from the original 1000 unit pre-order, and I believe they made some minor tweaks since then, including the thermowell fitting if I recall correctly.

I drilled out my thermowells and put in valves from a couple of my old fermentors for taking samples. The thermowells were crap and glad to be rid of them. I bought a couple of 12" probes that will work with my inkbirds which I'm going to put through grommets in the lid. No leaks.

Nice. I have a heating belt which works well enough but currently still waiting on my preordered insulating jacket

Nice. Thanks for the feedback. I did do a leak check. Left it filled with water overnight. The valve had a bit of a leak, so I tightened it up and that has been good. Maybe I was too cautious with tightening the thermowell, too.

My FF is over a year old even though this is my first use. Brother gave it to me Christmas 2014, but never used it until I got the stand just recently.

So, it's possible I have an older version from before they straightened out issues with the thermowells and lids. But an extra turn or some extra thread tape should fix up my one tiny leak. And I'm not worried about not seeing the airlock activity.

Again. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

How many wrappings of teflon tape are you all using to stop thermowell leakage? So far I've not been successful in getting a good seal with the standard 3 wrappings.

I had notification from the company that the jacket I pre-ordered last October is finally going to be shipped. They wanted to verify if I still wanted it and if the shipping address was correct. Will post again once it arrives.

How many wrappings of teflon tape are you all using to stop thermowell leakage? So far I've not been successful in getting a good seal with the standard 3 wrappings.

Don't scrimp on the tape, 5-6 wraps can't hurt.

I stretched a keg post "0" ring over the thermowell, and that stopped the leaks for me.

Barney

Well, I just picked up one of fermenters yesterday. I have read the issues that and hope no problems. Going to be making my oatmeal stout here in a few days so it would be great to have and not have to transfer to secondary for the longer fermentation. We will see how it turned out in a few months or so.

I have been using the FastFerment since 2014 when they first came out. It's an awesome tool. Easy cleanable & great for collecting yeast. Key is to follow the instructions they give to the letter. I.e. they tell you to make sure you screw the lid on and off several times to get it to close well. If you don't, you may have issues. I like that I don't have to rack to secondary anymore. I just leave it for 3-5 weeks without a worry in the world. To clean, I don't have to wriggle a brush into a carboy and hope that I get all the crud out. I can get it cleaned with a soft cloth and spray it down in the sink. I bottle condition and transfer to a bucket doing so. So much faster than racking from a carboy. And the cost is minimal. If you don't have the money for the shiny stainless options I'd definitely consider this. At least you can say that you make great beer at a lower cost than buying. As for people complaining about leaks, I have brewed quite a few beers using the FastFerment and only once had a problem due to not closing the lid tightly enough. Other than, no problems. Btw they changed the site since I bought: http://www.fastbrewing.com/#

I bought a fast ferment 2 years ago and finally decided to remodel an old fridge to fit the item and the stand and am lagering for the first time in a conical fermenter!

I think the best proof of concept was taking the collection ball out after primary fermentation and realizing just how well all the yeast was sedimented in there.

It's overall a great product!

I kind of wish there was a lid for the collection ball. It would make it easy to shake the yeast and trub loose in order to empty it out. I have only done one batch in mine so far, but I had to shake the crap out of it to get the yeast into another fresh batch.

I'm getting a free collection ball. I should probably get the FastFerment, too. If I get the BrewJacket, then I will have a rig capable of making whatever beer I want, apart from the weird ones.

I received my cooling jacket this afternoon. I have my FF conical mounted on a wooden frame using the Wall mount arms to secure it to the frame. The jacket fits around the arms and the fermenter perfectly and has plenty of room for multiple ice bottles. It looks to be well made and I can't wait to use it for tomorrows Pale ale I will be brewing. I will post again to let everyone know how it works.

I have brewed about a dozen times using the FastFermenter.It is a great deal. Original top gasket on mine didn't seal quite right, but the new design works great. I have found that 3-5 wraps of plumbers tape(teflon tape) does the trick to keep the joints from leaking. Yeast collection is simple;everything goes into the collection ball.I just rinse and reuse
I have a second ball to switch out when primary fermentation is done.I fill this one with C02 prior to reopening the valve,but I really do not think the 02 introduced would be a major factor. It's very easy to transfer the beer to Korny keg or bottling bucket.I have it wall mounted, so gravity does the work here.
Very easy to clean this fermenter when done as well. Disassembly is easy.Sterilize when done and reuse.
Overall, I think you cannot go wrong at this price.Highly recommended.

After about 10 beers thru my fast fermenter, I am still impressed with the system. It is very easy to from start to finish. Not having to rack into a secondary to continue fermentation is a huge time saver. I have started to harvest yeast from the collection balls. What a concept. I now have a few different harvest yeast strains to pick from. The only issue I have had was from the lid not seating properly. I have one of the first run of pre-orders. To solve that I just put an extra few wraps of plumbers tape...problem solved. I would recommend this product to anyone that is looking for a conical. If I had the space I would buy a few more of these.

Overall, pretty happy with my Fast Ferment. I have made a dozen or so batches. I have started using it only for primary fermentation, however, and here's why, maybe someone has some ideas.

After primary, removing the ball and connecting a new ball for secondary, when the valve is opened to fill the second ball, the wort is aerated. I do open the valve very gradually and this helps.

The second reason, is that I find a glass carboy is better to visually inspect the batch and determine the clarity of the wort, instead of drawing off samples and exposing the batch to the air again.

Just my two cents.

The second reason, is that I find a glass carboy is better to visually inspect the batch and determine the clarity of the wort, instead of drawing off samples and exposing the batch to the air again.

Install a spigot on the fermenter. They offer a kit for $15 which comes with the drill bit. I purchased a spigot ($3.25) and installed it myself. The only problem I had was my step bit was a bit worn and made the hole a little too big. So I had to make a larger gasket to keep it from leaking, but I had the material to fix that issue.

If you buy their kit with the bit, you will not have this issue. I took advantage of their current offer to post a review from where I purchased the FF and provided them the info. I selected the spigot kit with the plans to purchase another FF in the future and not have the issue of making the hole too big.

I purchased 2 FastFerments on the pre-sale and love them. Originally I didn't have stands and only used the wall mount brackets. Ended up buying stands and thermometers. Recommend the stands for sure. Typically I brew in a keggle and I'm able to yield 12 gallons using the 2 FastFerments. Keep on brewing! CHEERS!

I purchased the fast ferment through the presale. It has been excellent so far. I've mostly made ciders with it since it is easy to add and mix in Apple concentrate with it. Very convenient and easy to clean. I'm looking to add the spigot for sampling. I think that will be a great addition to the product. The new seal for the lid has been a great fix.

The only downside so far is I've had to add tape around the bottom almost every time I switch the balls as some of the balls have leaked.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. I would recommend it to a fellow homebrewer.

Is that assembled correctly?

I think you have the valve attached upside down. Either that, or I have mine installed upside down. I like the way mine is working, though. So, if mine is wrong, I'm gonna leave it anyway.

Honestly not sure. Should probably read the instructions lol. I'll double check before I use it lol

Latest posts

Back