FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Yep had a hose that fit perfectly.. Going to be one of those days.. Thanks!

Haha no worries. Just be careful, and make sure it's flowing freely. When I did that with my carboy, the bottom of my airlock got clogged up and caused the fermcap to blowoff, and got Krausen all over the place.

I've read a few posts where folks where pushing the airlock into the rubber grommet in the top of the FF and they pushed the grommet right into wort. I would think to myself; why don't folks just pay attention to what they're doing!?

Well guess what I did today... :smack:

And those rubber grommets don't float. DOH!

Like I said, I don't know how much difference it would make...but it is regular practice for many to flush bottles, kegs, lines, filters, etc with CO2 before using them. I think I would be more concerned about the O2 in the head space and dissolving since the CO2 isn't going to push it out very fast since it will get all swirled up during the bubbling. It would be interesting to let it bubble up through and then take a match or lighter or something and put it down into the headspace at 1 minute intervals to see how long it takes for it to settle out. I regularly use the lighter/match test to see if have a good CO2 flush on my kegs and it seems to work pretty well.

If you're really concerned, get a can of the Argon mixture that wine stores sell..if you lay down a blanket of that in your collection ball it will solve any o2 issues.

If you're really concerned, get a can of the Argon mixture that wine stores sell..if you lay down a blanket of that in your collection ball it will solve any o2 issues.

Good idea. I've gotten by, by blasting my yballs with Co2 or just filling them with distilled water.

Thanks for mentioning the thermal jacket. I've been thinking about getting something like this but have not been tracking the FF website. Ordered mine today.

I've just got to add that my brew buddy and I love this thing. It's not perfect but pretty darn close and a tremendous value. For us, the size is perfect. We've gone to 6.5 gallon batches so that we each get 2 tap-a-draft bottles of whatever we make. Gives us more variety in our brewing. Splitting the 10 gallon batches was a lot of beer for us to go through.

I've read a few posts where folks where pushing the airlock into the rubber grommet in the top of the FF and they pushed the grommet right into wort. I would think to myself; why don't folks just pay attention to what they're doing!?

Well guess what I did today... :smack:

And those rubber grommets don't float. DOH!

LOL...dude.....been there. Felt the same way....
It's humbling, isn't it?

I've read a few posts where folks where pushing the airlock into the rubber grommet in the top of the FF and they pushed the grommet right into wort. I would think to myself; why don't folks just pay attention to what they're doing!?!

Dipping the airlock shaft in sanitizer before pushing it into the grommet solved that problem for me.

I would like to note... Which it probably has already. The collection ball does work wonders if you need to stir the yeast cake around for a stuck fermentation. Had 1.123 OG and my S. Bayanus got a bit caught up at 1.050 in the lower 70's temperatures. A pretty constant amount of a hot towel wrap and a few remixing a of the collection ball. Fermentation continues!

Twisting it in works well after you spray/dip it in sanitizer also.

I have two FFs and two different type grommets. One is rather thick and fairly stiff and don't usually have any trouble with that one (as long as it's wetted with startsan first). The other is thinner and more flimsy. That's the one I ended up pushing into the wort.

Prior to inserting them into the top, both the grommet and the airlock were sitting in a small tray of starsan. Next time I'll just pull the top off when inserting the airlock. Especially when using the flimsy grommet...

:mug:

I switched my grommet out for one I had on a plastic fermenter lid that fits tighter. The one that came with FF was too flimsy.

I would like to note... Which it probably has already. The collection ball does work wonders if you need to stir the yeast cake around for a stuck fermentation. Had 1.123 OG and my S. Bayanus got a bit caught up at 1.050 in the lower 70's temperatures. A pretty constant amount of a hot towel wrap and a few remixing a of the collection ball. Fermentation continues!

I'm interested.
Do I have this right, you just close the valve and dump the collection ball back into the fermenter and put the collection ball back on (Or a clean one)?
Hot towel wrap?

Love to hear more.

I'm interested.

Do I have this right, you just close the valve and dump the collection ball back into the fermenter and put the collection ball back on (Or a clean one)?

Hot towel wrap?

Love to hear more.

Yes. I closed the valve, remove the collection ball, dumped yeast and wort over the top and reattached ball. It should still be as clean as it was when you removed it. No point to go through the process of cleaning.

So S. Bayanus (EC-1118) is a champagne yeast. This yeast loves hot temperatures 85-90*. Your looking at possibilities of rolling 12% ABV overnight, which could make a beer incredibly dry and thick. Super active yeast strain as well. Four gallon batch that had a blowoff. However S. Bayanus being a champagne yeast and not a S. Cerevisiae does run some issues with fermenting some of the more complex materials. So it usually is safe for big dark beers like this 1.123 Imp. Stout but would not be recommend for say an Imperial IPA.

I run fairly natural environment fermentation with whatever the ambient temperature of my Kitchen would be. So right now it's 73* so I'm warming towels pretty often throughout the day to help push the fairly slow fermentation to where it needs to be.

When I dry hop with pellet hops most of my hops end up in the collection ball after about 24 hours, will this effect the dry hopping process as they are only in contact with the beer in the ball, how do you dry hop in the fast ferment. Thanks

I use a sanitized hop bag with a stainless steel weight and tie it up with a piece of dental floss (unflavored). I then bring the floss up through the air lock grommet. It stays secure once the airlock is in. Since the floss is so thin it doesn't affect the seal between the airlock and grommet. For piece of mind you can also wrap the floss around the side screws.

Yeah I've done that as well in my cornie kegs, but like to let my hops swim free, was wondering if letting them settle naturally into the collection ball will give the beer enough time to disperse the flavour/ aroma or if it will stop the hops from getting to the beer in the rest of the fermenter.

Do your hops normally just sink straight to the bottom of your fermenter? Mine tend to float for a day or so and then start to sink. You can always close the collection ball until you are ready to have them drop out.

I have two FFs and two different type grommets. One is rather thick and fairly stiff and don't usually have any trouble with that one (as long as it's wetted with startsan first). The other is thinner and more flimsy. That's the one I ended up pushing into the wort.

:mug:

My problem is the angle of attack to clear the ceiling of the ferm chamber. Putting the top on after isn't an option in confined space. I was really careful and it still popped in the wort. You can probably get the grommet out of the collection ball right away, but instead, I jammed a #2 stopper in the hole. It is a tight fit but doable.

I don't know why the 3 piece lock has to be so tall. Maybe Fastrack should make an abbreviated ferm lock to decrease the required chamber space. The neck could be 1/2 inch. and a 1 inch bubble. Since the FF doesn't use a stopper, you don't need that Giselle neck on the lock.

My problem is the angle of attack to clear the ceiling of the ferm chamber. Putting the top on after isn't an option in confined space. I was really careful and it still popped in the wort. You can probably get the grommet out of the collection ball right away, but instead, I jammed a #2 stopper in the hole. It is a tight fit but doable.

I don't know why the 3 piece lock has to be so tall. Maybe Fastrack should make an abbreviated ferm lock to decrease the required chamber space. The neck could be 1/2 inch. and a 1 inch bubble. Since the FF doesn't use a stopper, you don't need that Giselle neck on the lock.

I use a 1 piece airlock when cold crashing. It's even taller than a 3 piece so it wouldn't fit in my cold crash frig with the one piece in place. I ended up making a snorkel tube so it would fit.

You could always get a 90° fitting from US Plastics and run a hose too a cup of sanitizer. Then you can install it before you put the lid on and just slide the hose over the hose barb. Low profile, under an inch.

I just won the contest over at FastFerment!
They'll be sending me:
1 FastFerment + 1 Sampling Port + 2 Packs of FastLabel’s (choice of beer or wine)

Was thinking about buying one to try it out, now I get to! :)

Thanks FastBrewing! :mug:

Package arrived. I was expecting just the fermenter, the sampling port and the labels. Was quite surprised to get the full package including stand, carry strap, thermometer and extra collection ball!

Will be putting it all together when I get the chance.

Here is the sampling port bag that was included.
See post below.

Contents of bag.
See post below.

Instructions show where to mount it but that seems pretty low to me. I'll be holding off on mounting it until I've used the FastFerment a few times to see where I would prefer it.

Last edited:
Think you attached a .php file
I used the iPhone HBT app to attach the pics and post. Don't think it worked well ;)

Mailed them to myself and now attached using Firefox.

E2C068D3-D5F2-4395-ACCC-FC4BA7810837.jpg

CF09EE86-9272-42D4-B856-51597E9A4252.jpg

I used the iPhone HBT app to attach the pics and post. Don't think it worked well ;)

Mailed them to myself and now attached using Firefox.

Looks like the same port on my Mr Beer kegs.

And it came with a Unibit? Nice :)

I just bought one. gotta build a stand for it. the wall mount just wont work in my place. will updated with pics once i get it up and running.

Here is the sampling port bag that was included.
See post below.

Contents of bag.
See post below.

Instructions show where to mount it but that seems pretty low to me. I'll be holding off on mounting it until I've used the FastFerment a few times to see where I would prefer it.

Have you mounted the sampling port yet? I agree that 3" below the 1 liter mark seems pretty low.

I think I'm going to mount mine at about the 1.5 gallon mark. This will allow me to fill the collection ball with clear beer before returning it to the bottom of the fermenter.

Back