FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked the carboys into the Fastfermts. Transfer to them went well with a make shift stand consisting of a round cooler and a piece of Noodle (pool toy). they Leaked. i tightened them more. 2 out the 3 that were filled stilled leaked. More Teflon Tape is needed. A week later I got to Kegging/Bottling. Empting into priming bucket was REAL quick and easy compared to an autosiphon, less cleaning= easy to me. Pic has about 4.5 gallons in it acocording to the marking on the fermenter. I will be doing a test to see how accurate it is. The beer turned out though. This weekend will be the first try at fermentation from start to finish in the same vessel. More updates for the Leakers to come.

Also I put some tape in a bit of Sanistar and it ate the white coat/Teflon? off. It ended up looking translucent white not opaque. These thing DO NOT ship with enough tape to seal it on first use. But it's a good thing they send some. so you know you will be using it. No quick connect!!!!!!!!!

IMG_00001382.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked mine and it look similar. Even with dumping the trub before ferment there is still a decent hunk of yeast above the valve. Has anyone had a problem with the yeast plug being too densely packed and not dropping when the valve is reopened later ( with the hose or ball on there)?

For some stupid reason I can't get this picture to rotate correctly, so I apologize for it being sideways

image.jpg

I just checked mine and it look similar. Even with dumping the trub before ferment there is still a decent hunk of yeast above the valve. Has anyone had a problem with the yeast plug being too densely packed and not dropping when the valve is reopened later ( with the hose or ball on there)?

For some stupid reason I can't get this picture to rotate correctly, so I apologize for it being sideways

Why not just dump the ball as soon as you notice yeast collecting above the valve?

Doubtful it would be packed tight enough to not drop with ~40lbs of weight on top of it.

Did my dump. 90% trub. A little bit of yeast but not worth trying to wash out. It's safale 05 anyways. Did notice that 15 mins. after my airlock started bubbling slowly sgain.

I had that problem. My yeast plug was so dense I had to use a metal coat hanger to poke through it several times to get it to dump.

I thought the idea was to ferment with the valve to the ball open, then close to remove the ball and dump.

In my case, that is what I did ( actually I let it settle and dumped the trub, then fermented with the valve open to the ball ) but there is so much yeast and other material that it has filled the ball and the bottom 4 inches above the valve.

When I was ready to keg. I opened valve and at first it did not drop. Give it a few minutes. I did some other things, than when I came back the yeast/trub filled the ball.

So what is everyone's thoughts so far that have used their Fast Ferment? I haven't gotten to use mine yet. Sounds like they are working pretty good except for the few who are having leaks.

I have not used mine yet. Hoping to brew this week!? But was thinking about if/when the yeast filled the bottom of the cone and didn't drop into the collection ball, I'm wondering if a vibration may help??

Instead of sticking some down into it, use a vibrator. That's what a vibrator is for anyway right?? :D

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the notes and comments. Good to hear mostly positive stuff with a couple small things.

1. We wish they sealed better but with a little extra Teflon tape everything should be good. In the future we will put additional Teflon in with kits.

2. Thanks for the information on the lid sealing. We are looking into a new Rubber gasket that will be thicker. Please stay tuned for it being available in the next couple months. In the mean time it sounds like tuning with fine sandpaper on the threads helps with it.

3. We suggest always having the valve open on the collection ball. That way everything can settle. Depending on what you are brewing some batches will create more Trub than others. The best thing to do is dump the ball and then reattach and leave for a few hours/over night. The remaining Turb will have time to settle into the ball and then you can dump it again. Sometimes this might be to be repeated 2-4 times.

If we can help with anything please let us know and have a great week! We really appreciate the comments.

Cheers!

Casey

I have a saison in this fermenter currently. I have been impressed with the design and function so far. The collection ball worked really well to collect the trub. I emptied it and put a second one on to capture the yeast, which had built up about four inches into the conical. The yeast mostly washed down when I opened the valve. I'll be bottling this weekend, and I can't wait to see how easy this is to clean.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the notes and comments. Good to hear mostly positive stuff with a couple small things.

1. We wish they sealed better but with a little extra Teflon tape everything should be good. In the future we will put additional Teflon in with kits.

2. Thanks for the information on the lid sealing. We are looking into a new Rubber gasket that will be thicker. Please stay tuned for it being available in the next couple months. In the mean time it sounds like tuning with fine sandpaper on the threads helps with it.

3. We suggest always having the valve open on the collection ball. That way everything can settle. Depending on what you are brewing some batches will create more Trub than others. The best thing to do is dump the ball and then reattach and leave for a few hours/over night. The remaining Turb will have time to settle into the ball and then you can dump it again. Sometimes this might be to be repeated 2-4 times.

If we can help with anything please let us know and have a great week! We really appreciate the comments.

Cheers!

Casey

Casey, on #1 would a silicon O ring help? If you tighten up to it?

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

Hi Everyone!

Casey

Couple of questions about this.

I am not sure how many times you continue dumping the trub. Am I supposed to be able to see the trub in the bottom of the fermenter or do I just keep dumping until the ball is full of clear beer ?

When I am going to do a secondary fermentation, when I reopen the valve to the collection ball should I loosen/remove the screw top ? It seems to me by not loosening or removing the screw top the suction would suck the water out of the airlock. I guess you could also just remove the airlock.

I've been thinking a lot about injecting air when putting the ball back on, however, if fermentation is still active then that small amount of O2 should be absorbed and used by the yeast. I don't think this would introduce nearly as much O2 as racking which is usually after fermentation, when you need to worry about O2 the most.

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA

So I just ran off my batch from the fast fermenter into a keg and had a couple notes for people.

1) When I took off the ball I didn't notice that the o-ring that is on the union valve stuck to the ball side of the union and when I put the hose on it leaked as I ran it out.
2) The beer seemed to channel though the yeast plug in the bottom so the full yeast mass didn't come out before I was getting clear beer. The rest of the yeast worked itself out as the run off to the keg proceeded. Other yeasts might not turn into such a stiff clump (this was West Yorkshire). So, I ended up with some yeast in the keg. It will settle and come out, but I was kind of hoping the yeast would come out and it wouldn't end up in the keg.
3) The material in the ball was mostly trub and the stuff in the bottom of the cone was the yeast (it makes sense, but I thought I would mention it).
4) Cleaning was a breeze. I just rinsed it with hot water and then sloshed PBW around in it off and on for 20 minutes and then rinsed. I was a little worried about the thermowell connection getting clean but it seemed to clean out without any problem.

1) When I took off the ball I didn't notice that the o-ring that is on the union valve stuck to the ball side of the union and when I put the hose on it leaked as I ran it out.

That's a bummer. Hope you didn't loose too much and cause a mess. Definitely something to lookout for.

2) The beer seemed to channel though the yeast plug in the bottom so the full yeast mass didn't come out before I was getting clear beer. The rest of the yeast worked itself out as the run off to the keg proceeded. Other yeasts might not turn into such a stiff clump (this was West Yorkshire). So, I ended up with some yeast in the keg. It will settle and come out, but I was kind of hoping the yeast would come out and it wouldn't end up in the keg.

Did the yeast collect in the narrow part of the conical? Was the collection ball full and there was no more room? Or the yeast just didn't drop down??

Big thanks for sharing your experiences! :mug:

It will be of great help in the near future to those of us who have yet to find the time to use our new fermenters...

The collection ball was full, and the stuff in it was really solid. I expected it to pour out, but only about 1Tbsp of stuff came out and I had to rinse repeatedly to get the rest out.

I ran the stuff in the bottom of the cone into a 1 gallon jug and it looks like I got a good crop of yeast from it.

Nate any leaks?

Primary: Maibock, Helles (first partigyle batch)
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout
On tap: Orange Belgian IPA, Turbo IIPA

The only leak was from the o-ring that I didn't notice was stuck to the ball side when I put the hose barb on. Even then, I probably only lost maybe 1/2 cup of liquid during the whole transfer process.

My first batch...a Festa Czech Pilsner for a clean run. I won't lager this one but will try lagering with a smackpak the next as I'm sure I've got enough head space in my lager fridge. I have another FF for aleing and will be cooking an Imperial Blonde Ale. That will show its true nuts with all the crazy ****e. I water tested it and it seemed okay until I put the wort in.Then the steady drip drip drip. Kackknockers and I drained it, resealed it and all is good thus far. It's in the stand until I wall mount both FF's likely tomorrow. I hope they work as cool as they look!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Our walk in brew closet sans kegs and other gear. They've been relegated to the basement and to be brought up when bottling and/or kegging. Note the FastFerments off to the side. I attached them to a ledger board and painted it black to match the decor of SWMBO. I first tried deck screws but not safe on a one inch ledger. The lags are a definite, especially not going into the studs. I went up 54" to allow ample room for kegging/bottling. It's a bit of a lift though lol. I will try using the carry strap to see if this works better next time, especially if doing it by myself. Definitely a little more challenging than my 12 and 20 oz curls!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414767956.205277.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414767971.757741.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414767993.690504.jpg

So when you carry the conical upstairs to bottle what do you put it on? The whole point of a conical (IMO) is to ferment, secondary and keg/bottle all from the same vessel, without having to move it.

Oh I see you ferment here and the kegs and bottles are in the basement sorry.

I have a clone of my favorite beer, Sweetwater IPA, in the new fermenter!

I have no leaks but it took some effort to make sure that was the case. As folks have mentioned, cleaning up the plastic threads is essential. I tried the sandpaper only method which did fine but it left some fuzzy crap in between the threads. Then I tried using a razor knife to cut the plastic web in between the threads left over from the molding process and then followed up with sandpaper. That seemed to work the best.

After that, I loaded up on the teflon tape. Maybe a little too much. It was really difficult to get one of the couplers screwed all the way on. Maybe 1 or 2 less wraps next time.

I also used the teflon tape around the top. It took up a lot of tape. NEEDS A THICKER GASKET!!

Aerating the wort was a bit of a chore. After all, I have 6.5 gallons in this thing! First, I tried cradling it like a baby and sloshing back and worth. That didn't work so good. The next method I tried was the riskiest but seemed to work the best. I used my right hand to grab the bottom of the cone right where the coupler screws on (but don't grab the coupler). I cupped my left around the top of the fermenter and let my arms hang down. I could get some good sloshing action out of this method. But I was one loose grip away from disaster so may have to come up with something else on the next batch...

I went out to check it this morning to find it bubbling away at 66.3 degrees... :D

Full fermenter.jpg

BTW, I considered doing what others suggested as far as letting the wort sit and settle for a day then empty the collection ball prior to pitching the yeast. Then I wondered if maybe the fermenting action of the yeast is part of what helps the solids fall out and collect in the collection ball?

As you can see in the photo, solids are setting on the bottom of the cone but they are not getting down into the collection ball.

I'm sure we'll all figure out the best method of using this fermenter with time and comparing notes... :mug:

Aerating the wort was a bit of a chore. After all, I have 6.5 gallons in this thing! First, I tried cradling it like a baby and sloshing back and worth. That didn't work so good. The next method I tried was the riskiest but seemed to work the best. I used my right hand to grab the bottom of the cone right where the coupler screws on (but don't grab the coupler). I cupped my left around the top of the fermenter and let my arms hang down. I could get some good sloshing action out of this method. But I was one loose grip away from disaster so may have to come up with something else on the next batch...

Save your back bro. Buy a aeration kit & a bottle of oxygen...

I agree with the comments that this thing is very difficult to hang up when full. I like the idea of transferring to a keg, oxygenating and pumping into the fermenter with co2.

The lid is a weak point. I had to screw it on so tight, second time I used it I cracked the lid, anybody else have this issue? They want $15 for a new cap, kind of surprised there is no sort of warranty. I am going to try to repair the cracked one and put in a thicker gasket as someone else suggested, then I won't need to thread it so tight.

I didn't need the thermowell so I threaded in a small valve for sampling instead.

By the way, the valve fills with gunk and has to be fully disassembled to clean it. You won't see the gunk until you take it apart. After messing with it I realized that the valve handle comes off and is also a wrench to disassemble the valve. A few instructions such as this would have made life easier.

A couple of other things: There is a bit of a mess when you close the valve and remove the collection ball due to the volume between the valve and ball.
Don't forget to loosen the airlock after you screw on an empty ball or you will suck in the fluid in the airlock.

A couple of other things: There is a bit of a mess when you close the valve and remove the collection ball due to the volume between the valve and ball.
Don't forget to loosen the airlock after you screw on an empty ball or you will suck in the fluid in the airlock.

I haven't changed the collection ball yet but have a drip pan ready. Thanks for the comments!

Did you experience suck back when opening the valve?

I didn't think that would be an issue since the wort in the fermenter and the air in the collection ball are really just trading places. But I'm using a one piece bubbler air lock for cold crashing so that won't be an issue in my case.

BTW, I considered doing what others suggested as far as letting the wort sit and settle for a day then empty the collection ball prior to pitching the yeast. Then I wondered if maybe the fermenting action of the yeast is part of what helps the solids fall out and collect in the collection ball?

As you can see in the photo, solids are setting on the bottom of the cone but they are not getting down into the collection ball.

I'm sure we'll all figure out the best method of using this fermenter with time and comparing notes... :mug:

I've not gotten mine loaded up for the first run yet, but has anyone considered using a hose connection and draining trub into a bucket, particularly when you have as much as jbb3 does in the pic he posted? That looks like it would take forever (after it's disturbed with each cycle) to drain into the ball, and would take numerous dumps.

I'm thinking trub management before the fermenter would be a good idea to avoid this much.

I filled up my fastfeent with a ~3.5 gallon batch and pitched a yeast starter about 50 hours ago.

My first issue was that, like many others, the screw top was not on tight enough. After a few hours I could smell the fermentation and figured I had a leak. I tightened the top as hard as I could and saw plenty of bubbles. Mystery solved.

My next issue was that yeast wasn't dropping into the collection ball. I just took off the ball and found what I think is mostly wort. I dumped it and reattached it. When I opened the valve, things dumped in and filled the collection ball and I'm hoping that broke the clog and it will all settle in nicely now.

Has anyone else had the clogging issue? Any tips to fix it? I tried shaking the whole thing but I couldn't get it loose. I think someone mentioned poking it with a clothes hanger. That sounds reasonable.

Attached is a picture of right before I disconnected the collection ball. The lighting makes it hard to see, but that's all beer/wort in the ball. In the V you can see three layers. Maybe someone who knows more than me can identify them. From top to bottom: beer, yeast, trub?

I'm seeing the potential in this thing though! Not giving up on it yet.

image.jpg

I've not gotten mine loaded up for the first run yet, but has anyone considered using a hose connection and draining trub into a bucket, particularly when you have as much as jbb3 does in the pic he posted? That looks like it would take forever (after it's disturbed with each cycle) to drain into the ball, and would take numerous dumps.

I'm thinking trub management before the fermenter would be a good idea to avoid this much.

I think from I recall in the past, the best way to use conicals stainless or the fast ferment is to let it sit for 4-8 hours after adding the wort then drain the trub and add the yeast. I would also open the valve to let the yeast settle into the collection ball.

I still haven't gotten to use mine yet, but I think with our collective efforts we will get this fermenter dialed in!!!

So I just ran off my batch from the fast fermenter into a keg and had a couple notes for people.

I dumped my collection ball for the first time today and the same thing happened to me! The o-ring seal from the valve assembly stuck to the coupler on the collection ball...

I know you only lost a little from the spill so it wasn't a disaster or anything. But by posting your experience, I noticed the o-ring and put it back in it's rightful place prior to re-attaching the ball.

Thanks for posting!! :mug:

FYI - My collection ball was about half full of solids. I wanted to go ahead and dump it so I could have the bubbles go up through the cone when I re-attach the new ball and hopefully help additional solids fall out in the collection ball.

I decanted as much of the clear liquid off the ball as I could and poured it back into the fermenter.

Is that a good thing to do? Who knows?? Trying to figure out the best method...

So how many batches will that little O2 tank oxygenate?

You only need to use it for about a minute so probably a few batches; not sure though since I don't use one. For my aeration I just use an aquarium pump with hose and a diffusor stone from Walmart (this pump to be exact http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whisper-Air-Pump-10-30-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10291813 )cost me less than $20 for everything.

After the wort is cooled I'll siphon about half of it through a strainer into my bucket; will turn on the pump after I get about a gallon in. After I have about half or so into the bucket will then just dump the rest through the strainer. Put the lid on loosely to keep anything from falling in, but not to pinch the air line, and then go clean up while the pump aerates the wort for me. After about 30 minutes pull the air line out and pitch the yeast.

Back